Page 40 of 57 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: What's for dinner today

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Planning to do another pot of stew with dumplings.

Well, after I had an afternoon in the pub yesterday, Mrs R decided she would cook and did us chicken burgers fries and beans. The chicken burger was coated with rice crispies and wasn't bad at all.

I'll do roast beef and chips tonight. The beef's already cooked and the chips will be the oven kind. I think it'll be all I can manage after doing the Tesco run this afternoon. - I truly hate shopping and try to time it so I miss the masses.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Same here Rebbonk, I like to go out early for the shopping and get back before the buses get busy. I don't drive, I lug my shopping trolly round with me. Today I tried out something nice I haven't had before and that is someone a simple as ginger whirls , biscuits, so when I got home I had a lovely treat with my coffee.

I dropped in to see my mum before shopping. That left me slightly later getting to the shop and I caught that tail end of the yummy mummies before they dashed off to collect their offspring from school. What is it with 20 something women trying to look like schoolgirls?

I was loaded down with our own little trolley (I take that even when I use the car) plus a 15kg bag of dried dog food. I had to smile, the lady on the till asked me if I had a dog! I was tempted to tell the joke about the Winalot diet but decided that I wanted to get home sooner rather than later.

On walking in, Mrs R was doing her nut at the dog. I have no idea what the poor girl had done, but she's been sitting very quietly and sleepily with me since I got in. I'll rouse her in a bit and we'll go for a walk before it gets dark.

Mrs R sourced a cheap roll of pork with stuffing at the end of last week. It'll make 3 meals, but tonight we had it with roast parsnips, roast potatoes and cauliflower. I'd forgotten just how nice roast parsnip was, but I can't eat many as I find them a touch too sweet.

I love parsnips, suede , sweet potatoes, garden peas and beetroot, carrots. I guess they are all kind of naturally sweet. I Love to make paring soup or put them in a stew. Now the winter months are upon us I have decided to make a stew every Wednesday enough for two days.

I usually make stews big enough for two days. Nothing better than a nice stew once the weather turns cold.

Established Member

I shall dig out my slow cooker.
    Chicken curries !!! mmmmmmmmm

I think a slow cooker was one of the best things I ever bought.

Caught Tesco just right yesterday and obtained a couple of steaks at a great price. They're in the slow cooker now, we'll have them with chips later. - Maybe after I've treated myself to a few pints this afternoon? Looks a pleasant day, if slightly cool, but the boats will still go bobbing by.

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    Caught Tesco just right yesterday and obtained a couple of steaks at a great price. They're in the slow cooker now, we'll have them with chips later. - Maybe after I've treated myself to a few pints this afternoon? Looks a pleasant day, if slightly cool, but the boats will still go bobbing by.

Enjoy that lovely meal, Rebbonk.

Going to have Vegetarian Kievs , with mixed veggies, I have a big cabbage use up too.

The steak was delicious Margaret, it just melted in the mouth.

Tonight Mrs R has bought herself a Chinese meal. I'm doing a variation of Colcannon potatoes for myself. - Mrs R reckons it's the Irish in me that loves potatoes so much.
    Last edited by rebbonk; 26-10-2018 at 05:48 PM.

I've always like potatoes , the Scottish kind of course! When I was pregers , I used to love mashed potato with butter and haddock all mashed in together. Baled beans as a side serving too.
    Jeezo, I think I'll have that tomorrow if my husband can suffer looking at it!
    Last edited by margaret; 26-10-2018 at 05:18 PM.

Well I finished making a pair of curtains for the bathroom, now got bread on the go,
    then preparing to make the usual midweek pot of stew, I like doing that so I can use all the veg up, like leeks , parsinps onions , carrots that needs to be used up.

I was given a curry recipe last week. I made it Monday and we've so far had it Tuesday and Wednesday and we will again tonight! I don't think there will be any left for Friday!

2 Tins mushy peas
    1 Tin tomatoes
    1 Tin baked beans
    Chicken breast
    Onions
    Mushrooms
    Curry powder

Blitz peas, toms and beans in food processor or with hand blender until smooth; tip into saucepan add curry powder to your preferred taste and heat gently, (if heated to quickly it spits every where).

Cut chicken into bit size pieces fry in frying pan until nearly cooked, roughly chop onion and mushrooms add to chicken and fry until they are all cooked.
    I just dumped the tinned stuff in a pot, zapped it with a blender, threw the meat, onions and mushrooms in and cooked in the oven for a couple of hours. Served with fluffy rice and naan bread.