Page 1 of 57 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: What's for dinner today

Mari

Default What's for dinner today

I never know what do have for dinner from day to day, I don't get that inspired with food lately. Anyway we're having fish and veg, after rice pud. borin innit!

You see, we are very limited to what we eat, the only meat we have really, is fish or chicken or turkey. I will do a beef stew when my son fancies a change.

rebbonk

Roast chicken, roast potatoes and veg.

Trouble is, I get the washing up!

cathidaw

mari, I too only eat 2 legged meat.
    My cooker has broken down and awaiting an electrician.
    Surprising how much one can do with a microwave
    Cheesy eggs and allsorts.!

Mari

Yer right Cathi, the microwave is great for certain meals, such as baked potato , and heating up beans, etc.. I have to be careful with eggs and cheese though,because of cholesterol.

Mari

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    Roast chicken, roast potatoes and veg.

Trouble is, I get the washing up!

Fair doos eh?

rebbonk

Quote Originally Posted by Mari View Post
    Fair doos eh?
    Quite fair (well, almost!)

Spag' bol tonight - Yummy

Pillar of the Community

I have no idea as usual- I also get lack lustre with what to do for the evening meal. Last night was roasted spiced chicken legs and thighs, new potatoes and mange tout. (Don't know if I spelt that right) Tonight looks like a pancetta taglietelli in sauce or a chicken stir fry.

cathidaw

It all sound so fancy nowadays.
    Lots of Italian style food and Indian.
    how I see some of it....

Fried potato skins ...we used to cook them for the pigs

Wraps.. leftovers wrapped in peasant pastry eg ..flour and water dough

spaghetti.. peasant food mixed with leftovers and spiced

curried veg... English veggie stew laced with curry powder / herbs

Bombay potatoes...as above but chillie added.

Mange tout ..weren't they called pea pods when we were kids and put in the pig bin?.

Dont get me wrong these are just cynical thoughts and I do often eat out.
    Not wraps though .. too much like wet window leathers.
    (Perhaps we weren't so thrifty in those days if we threw these 'delicacies' out)

I will admit that if I don't feel like cooking my food reflects my indifference
    Last edited by cathidaw; 19-07-2012 at 12:38 AM.

rebbonk

I must admit I'm one for the "old" comfort foods.

I love bangers and mash, liver and onions, fish and chips, toffee pudding, rice pudding and the like. Basically all the foods that we loved as kids.

I think tonight I'll do a potato and onion pie

Pillar of the Community

Cottage pie- yum. That's my idea of comfort food. Tonight is yet again an unknown at this point in the day. Sausages, mashed potatoe and peas I think seems to be a strong contender. ( Only butcher shop proper sausages though. I can't stand those supermarket bought packet ones that have very little of anything good in them.)

Mari

Mmmmm, good old traditional food mentioned by Rebbonk and all.

This summer I haven't felt much like making salads, though I love them.
    Today we'll have vegetable Quiche, Sweet potatoes, and more veg.

Gladys, Once upon a time , when I was young, I used to eat the pea pods that were grown in the garden, I loved the crispy but juicy and tender young pods.......I love peas too though , they are very good for you.
    Right now, the weather is driving me demented, I've had my washing out and in and I'm going to hang it out again, it keeps brightening up then coming over all cloudy.
    I do love the taking a big sniff of fresh clean laundry that has been out on the line.
    Ok.. some folk are queer.

Last edited by Mari; 19-07-2012 at 11:23 AM. Reason: edited because I couldn't spell 'peas'.

Pillar of the Community

Mari, I know the hang it out, bring it in again game- been doing it myself today. Its simply the most dreadful summer I can recall for ages. Well- since last year actually

Years ago I seem to remember a place that had something shaped like a ball and deep fried on the menu each Saturday. They were cheap and suspiciously I dissected one to see what was in it. This deep fried ball, for all intents and purposes, looked like sandwiches ripped up and rolled into balls. We gave them the name "Garbage Balls" and discarded them accordingly.

For me, dinner last night was a 'quick do' - a quorn cottage pie and it was yum.
    Cool

Pillar of the Community

Shizara, Quorn is such a brilliant protein very low fat soya product. I keep forgetting to buy it though. Now you've reminded me I will. However, as the sun is promised to us, I want to get some proper butchers BBQ spare ribs for this evening- we'll have them with salad.

rebbonk

I think we're doing faggots tonight.

I am guessing faggots are what I know of as rissoles. I used to make them with chopped bacon, chopped mushrooms, chopped onion, chopped tomato and fresh breadcrumbs. Form balls, flattening a bit with a fork. dust with flour and put them into either a deep frying pan or an electric fry pan with a little oil to frighten the outside into browning. Take out, make gravy in the frying pan or electric fry pan. Put the rissoles into the gravy, turn down, simmer until vegies cooked. Makes them nice and tender.
    Cool