Page 25 of 57 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: What's for dinner today

cathidaw

My salmon cost me 22.00 and was enormous.I had to cook it diagonally in a large roasting tin.These slice well and are delicious cold.Next time I will make my own filo pastry.This was JUSROL and mine is tastier-and harder to make of course.I love making pastry and do it in my food processor which I've had for years.I can make scones in it in less than 4 minutes, which includes kneading. Just chuck all the ingredients in and switch on. Over 5 minutes and its like plasticine.

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret View Post
    Good suggestion Lex, I'll definitely try that too, at least they will be fairly local. I found this site and am quite impressed.
    http://www.heartofenglandfarms.com/c.../roasters.aspx
    Some fat in the bird definitely makes a big difference. Loads came out of the capon, and went straight on to the roast potatoes!

rebbonk

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    Some fat in the bird definitely makes a big difference.
    Meat without any fat content tends towards bland (IMO).

Pillar of the Community

We had a lovely although huge leg of lamb for our New Year's Dinner this evening (2.555kgs) I've just put the half that is left in the fridge so we can have it again tomorrow. Yum.

rebbonk

Well, after the Christmas and New Year excesses we're back to normal.

Sausage and chips tonight, chicken curry tomorrow and a chilli for Sunday.

We do still have rather a large gammon joint, I think I'll cook that for Monday.

Margaret

Cottage pie today and more sprouts! Rice pudding afters. I remember my brother used to eat sprouts raw when he was a kid, all local produce in those days.

I've got chicken for tomorrow and fancy doing a curry. Do you do a mild curry Rebbonk? What's your recipe?

rebbonk

Mrs Rebbonk bought a bottle of curry sauce Margaret, so tomorrow is really a cheat. I think she bought a bottle of Sharwoods Balti.

Normally I do fruity curries, with lots of tomatoes, tomato puree, onions, and various spices (chili, cumin, turmeric, coriander, general curry powder) with a few garlic cloves. I then marinade the meat overnight.

I like the hotter curries, but have to compromise because of Mrs Rebbonk's digestive problems, so I tend to go easy on the spices. If I'm just doing a curry for myself, I really up the chilli content and often add ginger as well.
    Last edited by rebbonk; 02-01-2015 at 12:08 PM.

rebbonk

I often use this site as a starting point for recipes

http://studentrecipes.com/

I've been given a brace of pheasants recently, but am a bit short of ideas on what to do with them. Does anyone have any recipes?

rebbonk

I'd casserole them with root veg Lex.

Here's an interesting site, you can put in an ingredient and see what turns up...

http://www.supercook.com/#/recipes/All%2520recipes

This recipe looks good, though I'd go easy on the peas and possibly increase the carrots...

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/10191...sant-stew.aspx

Pillar of the Community

Well, that's a pleasant present Lex. Here are a few recipes to look at.http://www.thefield.co.uk/food/recip...-recipes-21762

Personally because they can be over powering if they're hung for a long while. I like them mild so not hung long. Are yours strong or milder birds? In any case, I'd seal them , then wrap them in bacon slices , pop them into a roasting pot with a good glug of red wine and a little chicken stock or water if you don't have enough wine sat on a few rough chopped carrots, celery sticks and an onion halved or quartered. Do the pot up with foil and let them steam in it for a good hour and a half on a medium heat in the oven. 30 mins or so before you're ready for them, open up the foil turn them and let the heat brown them off further. Take them out, let them rest while you strain off the veg from the wine and meat /veg juices in the pot and make a lovely rich gravy or jus to pour over when you eat them. Be careful of any shot of course.I'd do a pile of creamy mashed potatoes and cabbage or spring greens to add to the plate.

rebbonk

I might also be tempted at this Lex

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/3064/...h-ginger.aspx?

rebbonk

Well, the curry is cooked (4 hours in the slow cooker) just the rice to do later.

I think Mrs Rebbonk is going to be a little upset as it's quite hot and spicy... But she chose the sauce! LOL

Thanks for your suggestions! I think I'll go for the casserole option. They were shot last weekend, and are currently in the freezer (after being plucked & gutted - a very pleasant job ) while I decide what to do with them.

Margaret

My son fancied a bit of authentic Scottish haggis today, so bought some from the local butcher. It's nice, but I rather like the vegetarian haggis.

rebbonk

Already cooked the gammon for tonight. I'll do mash, peas and parsley sauce to go with it.

If there's any gammon leftover, I'll do a pie for tomorrow.