Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: What's for dinner today

rebbonk

Here you go Shizara Faggot

You weren't a million miles away.

cathidaw

I decided to lose weight3 months ago. I 've sat around more than I've ever done, since I had my new ankle joint...so I took myself in hand. No bread , cakes biscuits-----no flour in fact.Its quite....(.Ive stopped saying 'amazing' now)..er..a feat of the imagination to decide what to eat , but I've lost 11 pounds-and can almost pat my own back-Never hungry either as i was with all these diet books.Lots of protien -never never do I eat red meat, only 2 legged-- and veg. Then my cooker gave up the ghost 3 weeks ago-the new one comes on Tuesday --so it was microwave or raw...well raw salads and chick peas, stuff like that. I dont like fish much -only tinned.
    No need for those silly word games to keep the mind active when life is at stake. ! !.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 22-07-2012 at 03:12 AM.

rebbonk

Well, last night's meal was very pleasant and enjoyable.

'Tis the good lady's turn tonight, and she's already muttering about beans on toast!

Baked frrrrts are full of protein
    Cool

Pillar of the Community

Lentils- isn't that what they are? Anyway, Well done Cathidaw, I take my hat off to you. I tried a minimal carb diet- just an odd baby potatoe was the only carb I'd allow myself but I really got withdrawal symptoms and pined for a hunk of bread and cheese. It lasted about 3 months and I slid back but I do intend to do it again; like now.
    This evening will be a spatchcock which I stud through with garlic and then cover with oregano and rosemary served with broad beans and a roasted concoction of peppers, onions, baby toms, black olives.

Pillar of the Community

Does anyone have any inspiration for today's dinner? I am really stuck and can't think what to do. I think I may be a bit lacking in lustre so any ideas would be a help?

rebbonk

Not much help I'm afraid, but after a couple of pints I've got a quiche lined up.

How about pasta & tomato sauce? When I make, I usually chuck a tin of chopped tomato in a pan with fried onion, chopped bacon (if I've got some lying about in the fridge) and other odds/bits and dried herbs knocking about my cupboard.

cathidaw

Wow then, speaking of food, What about today's'happening' .:
    I had soaked some lentils for 2 days to make lentil soup. Now real lentil soup needs celery which I hate , but I had bought some hoping it wouldn't taste. I put the lentils in my pressure cooker- then thought -I'll go on line for a bit-as you do-- I got on line didn't I giggling away at Gladys's-spidery adventures, until I could smell burning. The lentils were nice and black.
    Hey ho-- I thought - these things happen, but I'd better do something with the celery which as I said , I hate. But no... I'd left it in Tesco.
    Dinner today was lovely.Cheese omelette , half of a trifle and a white Magnum.
    I'll bet your mouths are watering.!
    Last edited by cathidaw; 02-09-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Pillar of the Community

Thanks Rebbonk,Lex2 and Cathidaw. I didn't see your posts as I got sidetracked so had to dash to the shop 10 minutes before it closed. I love the tomatoe pasta dish- often do that one. We ended up with a spatched chicken which I roasted and had baby potatoes, broad beans and home grown runner beans. It was quite yum. I got some rasberries, blue berries and cherries too so all in all, it went down well.

Celery is a strange thing. I do like it but not all the time. Its the best thing to compliment a Bloody Mary or a Virgin Mary. I can't have either without celery salt which is brilliant sprinkled all over potatoes with Cayenne pepper and then roasted. Just add chopped garlic 15-20 minutes before they're done. Hot and spicey and none of the strange taste that celery can add to things so good if you're a celery novice.

Mari

Thumbs up

I love crunchy celery! Have you tried a stalk of celery with cream cheese or peanut butter spread on it . ie. spread in the groove. Delicious!

I always buy British veg and organically grown when I can.

Mari

Cathi, well done loosing weight they way you did, I can do without cakes, buscuits, chocolate etc.. but I do enjoy my two slices of toast in the mornings.
    What did you replace for your bread, Rivita?

cathidaw

Nothing.
    For carbs I wanted minimal so ate butter beans , chick peas, and not many of those.Mostly eggs chicken, tinned fish. salad and tomatoes and vegetables.
    It's surprising how easy it is to cut out carbs such as bread cakes biscuits, pizza's and chips.Protiens fill you up..Chocolate,trifle, and ice cream for a treat.
    If I dont feel like cooking there is a takeaway in Longford which does fresh tandoori chopped chicken and salad. I dont like wraps they taste like window leathers and ryvita to me smells likrke rabbit food

rebbonk

Well, tonight I've gone for a Chilli and rice.

I had a nice, peaceful day, but as for turkey, no thanks, have never been a fan. I had fish, which is hardly traditional for the time of the year but enjoyable all the same.
    Cool

Jacket spuds tonight! - Always a favourite.
    Cool