Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: What's for dinner today

rebbonk

Fish fingers!

...and for tonight, Sausages, chips and mushy peas! - Lovely!

rebbonk

I'm only a fan of HP sauces, but since they moved production away, I've refused to buy it.

rebbonk

From Aston to Holland

source : Daily Mail

cathidaw

I noticed that Heinz tomato ketchup in a glass bottle is the original. All that squeezy bottled stuff is vinegary.

I had a trifle for dinner today.

rebbonk

Well, last night I had prepared chicken kievs to go with savoury rice.

As we'd been out for an early drink, the good lady offered to cook. - Ever had "sticky" savoury rice?

rebbonk

I can't see my avatar? - Boo!

Oddly enough, I made a large beef stew for last night... It will last for tonight as well. Nothing better is there?

I used to cook my stews in a slow-cooker, but have recently gone back to using the oven; somehow it seems a lot tastier.

cathidaw

Today I decided to use a pizza from my freezer which I bought as a top up for when my grandchidren come 9 after they've eaten the meal. However I had one left so I cooked it and didn't fancy it so ended up with 2 boiled eggs and salad. My pizza-- chopped up for my scruffy, part white blackbird and his mates out in the snow..
    Then I felt guilty. What waste when half the world is starving--

rebbonk

Second warm up of a stew, always best!

Likely a light meal for Saturday, not sure what yet.

cathidaw

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret View Post
    Oh dear, I hope you are feeling ok rebbonk. I love your new avatar by the way.

I made a lovely big pot of stew yesterday and enough for today, I added leeks, onions, carrots, parsnip, turnip, some spuds and garlic. my husband liked it, he said it reminded him of the stew when he had school dinners. I hope that was meant as a compliment!
    Mind you, in Scotland I used to enjoy school dinners, I loved the creamy custard when it wasn't being flung about!
    How I loved those school dinners.Hot from one of those metal containers delivered from the school kitchens somewhere in Cheylesmore.Real food Stew and veg, Jam sauce and custard, Chops and veg with gravy, Sometimes liver and onions, rice pudding with skin on, Fish and white sauce with mash and peas,....I wont go on I'm salivating.
    No pizzas, burgers and chips then. wraps, spaghetti. wE ALL CALLED THEM NAMES AND SAID UGH ! BUT REALLY ENJOYED THEM. sECONDS TOO IF YOU EMPTIED THE PLATE IN TIME.
    Last edited by Margaret; 21-01-2013 at 02:03 AM.

rebbonk

Anyone got any old school recipes we could share? I remember one meal with mince in a savoury pastry case that was quite tasty.

cathidaw

I forgot to mention in the school dinner saga----real tapioca pudding-the big stuff we called frogspawn.
    I once worked at a day nursery and the cook was inspired, and had some specials of her own. So rebbonk-- here's a 'sweet' for you (pronounced 'pudding' in English)
    Bake a pastry case blind. For the filling,make some white sauce with milk and normal flour-nice and thick. boil well, then add a full tablespoon of golden syrup- beat up and pour into pastrycase. Leave to cool. It will slice. Unbelievable ! !
    My children and grandkids love it. I made my daughter one on her birthday last year.
    Toffee cream pie it's called.
    Who cares about calories all of the time
    Last edited by cathidaw; 21-01-2013 at 11:12 AM.

rebbonk

Sounds tasty. I might give that one a try.

cathidaw

I dont know-worth a try although the golden syrup takes up a whole new flavour in this--and I dont like honey.
    No-one ever guessed how it was made.

cathidaw

I went to a Burns night 'do' last week in a village hall. It was a good 'do' too but I dont ever remember food being like this was. (grammar)
    Tatties and neeps -watery, Cockaleekie soup, very pink and 'fleshy looking' ugh
    But the vegetarian haggis was sublime. Never heard of it ? neither had I but as an almost veggie, and my family full veggie's it was great to think that someone cared enough to think of others.
    Tha atmosphere was perfect.

Pillar of the Community

Good Morning- I have no idea what to do for today as I am still swathed in the comfort of the yummy meal my friend did for 8 of us last night. Really meaty lamb shanks that she'd left to ' do ' in the crock pot in a red wine , garlic & herby sauce served after about 4 hours with mashed potatoes and green veggies. We had to wash it down of course with several glasses of wine. It would have been very rude not to. The meal was finished off with a cheese board with a camenbert that just trickled as you sliced through- heaven. The whole process took 6 or so hours of fun and laughter added to by a game of Trivial Pursuits. The questions seem far to obtuse these days compared to how I remember it used to be but some of our answers (after the medicinal drinks) were ridiculous. We managed to sway homewards around 2am.

rebbonk

Last night I left a Shepherd's pie cooking whilst I ventured out for a couple of drinks. I must say, it was quite delicious.

I have no idea about what we'll eat today, something light I hope....

Tomorrow the good lady has a roast chicken planned and on Tuesday I'm doing a rather hot Chilli.