Page 11 of 57 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: What's for dinner today

rebbonk

• 1 cup of quinoa, rinsed very thoroughly
    • 3 cups of liquid to cook the quinoa (I used 2 cups of water 1 cup of pineapple juice)
    • 1 onion, sliced
    • 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
    • 1 cup of diced pineapple
    • 1 cup of diced ham
    • ½ cup of frozen peas
    • ½ tsp of chilli powder
    • 2 eggs, beaten

1. Cook the quinoa with the 3 cups of liquid
    2. Fry the onions, garlic and chilli powder until the onions are just softening.
    3. Add the pineapple, ham and frozen peas to the onion mix, gently warm through, until the peas are thoroughly thawed, but not cooked. – They have that just picked fresh taste.
    4. When the quinoa is cooked, (liquid is absorbed and it has the consistency of porridge) remove from heat.
    5. Add the eggs to the pineapple mix, turn up the heat and stir until the egg is scrambling.
    6. Add the quinoa, stir thoroughly and serve on warm plates.

Quinoa (uncooked) is a dreadful commodity to use. Spill it and it runs around like ball bearings on a teflon surface. It is virtually impossible to pick up.

The verdict from Mrs. Rebbonk was that it was a little too "sweet and sour" for her liking and when we do it again, we'll miss out the pineapple.
    Last edited by rebbonk; 17-02-2014 at 09:42 AM.

Pillar of the Community

Thank you Rebbonk. I must admit that sweet and sour hasn't been on our menu and its something I had forgotten about. Now I have this we'll give it a go.

rebbonk

Slow cooked (all day in the slow-cooker) chilli, rice and garlic bread tonight. - Smells superb at the mo'.

Pillar of the Community

Mmmm... Yum. What time is dinner?

rebbonk

I reckon about 9.00.

Mrs Rebbonk has done the shopping, so I think she'll likely want a drink later.

Pillar of the Community

If I set off now, I should be just in time to catch a small glass of wine with you and then join you for a scrummy dinner. Mr Gladys can get fish and chips tonight!

rebbonk

Beef madras curry tonight. Cooking very gently in the slow-cooker at the mo'.

Pillar of the Community

I did the jalfrehzi chicken curry last night but this evening we're eating at our friends'. I believe its spag bol.

rebbonk

Pork and apple casserole tonight. That'll go down lovely after a couple of early pints.

Pillar of the Community

2nd attack at the Roast leg of lamb and all the trimmings for us tonight.

Pillar of the Community

Goulash, mash and green beans. Yum.

Margaret

Sounds yum Gladys!

I'm just doing leek, onion and pepper, omelette and baked spuds today, with the usual veg.
    for afters , fresh pineapple and vanilla yoghurt. think that is the correct spelling.
    Last edited by Margaret; 09-03-2014 at 10:35 AM.

Pillar of the Community

Well, that's nearly a Spanish Omlette Margaret which I love; Enjoy. (I get so caught up with the spelling problem myself as I have Dyslexic traits anyway.)

Margaret

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    Well, that's nearly a Spanish Omlette Margaret which I love; Enjoy. (I get so caught up with the spelling problem myself as I have Dyslexic traits anyway.)

I've just corrected some typos in my post, I can't believe I made such errors , I have noticed lately I am very careless with my spelling without meaning to be, whereas in the past I was very fussy about spelling. I'll put it down to my age, a good excuse as any I guess.

Pillar of the Community

Spelling and English grammar used to be my forte. Not so these days and I too make an allowance on a similar basis. I try to correct as I go but often miss glaring errors. Apologies now to all who may find terrible typos and mistakes in my jottings.

rebbonk

Mrs Rebbonk is doing chicken and chips for this evening.

Last night I did a vegetarian pasta dish that went down quite well. - Unlike my attempt at Pizzoccheri earlier in the week. I actually liked it, Mrs Rebbonk was not impressed.