Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Television - is it a necessity?(Sorry I think I've mis spelt that one)

rebbonk

I once worked at a secure mental hospital. (I was putting in electronic control systems.) The inmates there were routinely given chemical cosh's, had teeth removed and were even beaten. Sadly, there were children in this hospital, and the nursing staff hadn't got much time for them. I suppose the staff become hardened over the years, but as a young 21 year old, it shocked me enough to remember it to today.

I also spent a large slice of my life loosely attached to training/education. Frankly, most schemes are poor value for the trainee, they're usually used as cheap labour, often doing little/nothing to add to their knowledge.

I worked with one very well known Institution, they actually set up a small unit to relieve the EU of training money. What they gave the trainees in return had largely been lifted straight off the internet. Lifted, I might add, by trainees of their own, on work experience to learn how to build training courses. I also hold NVQ assessor qualifications, I could tell you some real horror stories there, but believe me, plenty of people are making lots of money out of it. Sadly, the trainees are still getting a raw deal.

Pillar of the Community

History just seems to repeat itself- nothing seems to change for the better. These schemes are all the same in the end if only with diffrent names.

cathidaw

nothing changes except for the worse. We have to be aware. When I trained as a nurse we had real training-on the job,which was hard.But if it was your vocation the rewards were great . We hear of the bad old days but rigorous training made nurses what they were.It is only in retrospect one appreciates what we had in spite of the days whenwe were told off by the all powerful sister--sometimes made to cry for some simple harmless fault. I know there were bad nurses even then. I could also tell a horror story of the time, when I did 3 months at the sunshine home for blind babies in Leaming ton.
    I cant see how nurses today can empathise with patients when 2 thirds of their training is university.
    Last year I went to Birmingham Orthopaedic hospital for a new ankle joint.My consultant asked if I minded a couple of student doctors--3nd year--looking on, in outpatients. He explained in detail what he'd done to them and myself .
    The just looked- and never spoke, never asked questions.When he said they may go that was the only time they looked animated and couldn't wait to get out of the door.
    I did comment and he said one of the things they ought to teach is politenss and most important- bedside manner.

How much have things deteriorated? When a hospital bed becomes vacant, is it still stripped by 2 nurses, all surfaces wiped with some antibacterial cleaner then remade with fresh sheets? Are floors and surfaces still regularly dusted / vacuumed / mopped or wiped as need be - including the tops of the tracks used for the privacy curtains? I seem to remember these very basic things being done prior to 1980 and if they weren't done look out for matron she would be after them. Nursing staff spoke to you nicely and the surgeon or doctor on his rounds would speak to you as well. Whilst I am being treated as someone with a mind of my own I am happy to consider recommendations, advice and act accordingly. Whilst I am treated as a Martian that has no understanding of English and no comprehension of life on earth never mind how my own body works they find me less than co-operative.
    Cool