Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How does your garden grow.

I've just put my name down for an allotment. I want to make it semi-low maintenance - have a small fruit tree, fruit bushes & rhubarb etc. I don't mind having a few veg. but don't want to spend every evening there. Does anyone have any suggestions?

cathidaw

How about a nice shed with a bit of grass where you sit outside with your tea and cakes watching your flowers growing, and others toiling away.
    My son lived in a tiny apartment in Eynsham,so they cycled to the allotment for leisure and fresh air,using it like a beach hut. (They did grow masses of rocket-which really grows itself.)
    It didn't go down too well with some of the men---all men---who'd been serious veg. gardeners for years.
    Just before they moved house, some of the oldies cottoned on, and made their sheds quite homely
    My father in law installed a small wood burner for winter days,in his allotment shed

A she's a great idea. I'm think about planting some herbs as well - in pots buried in the ground, so they don't spread all over the place.

Has anyone tried to grow silverbeet aka Swiss chard? I don't see it in the supermarkets and looked for it in the local market but it doesn't seem to be available.. I find that ironic, it grows like a weed and a couple of plants kept me supplied for a good part of the year. It's a dark green, leafy vegetable and you only need to cut what you need.

http://vegangela.com/2011/05/02/swiss-chard-silverbeet/
    Last edited by Shizara; 04-08-2016 at 09:11 AM.
    Cool

rebbonk

Never heard of that one Shizara

cathidaw

SOMETHING DIFFERENT..
    My friend bought a couple of real portholes from an auction.
    He has now installed them into his shed.

rebbonk

I'd love a shed where I could go... Unfortunately, Mrs R is not having it!

cathidaw

obviously, she enjoys your company.