Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How does your garden grow.

cathidaw

If I knew how to upload onto WOL , I'd send a picture of my pond.
    How does one stop the fish from eating the plants, or nosing them out so they look such a mess.

Pillar of the Community

No, the net will deter a cat but the heron will just wade through or poke through. I took the contraption thingy down today. It looks better but I am thinking I ought to put it back as I saw Mr Heron flying back to the roost in the woods beyond us mid afternoon. I think the fish are so vulnerable. They come up to graze at the sides of the pond and he/she can just peck at them. Due to the size of most of mine I doubt they bird will be able to carry one but still a good peck will kill one.

cathidaw

By trial and much error,I repot mine when they get leggy--any time, I also cut the dead flowers to the bottomof the stem, that way they actually grow and reflower .Sorry but I dont like them, nasty things-- but I have looked after them in an unfriendly way. They're on my kitchen windowsill-quite the wrong place for them andthey get water every day.They sit side by side with a Poinsetta which I also dislike.(they were presents)and thats thriviNg well.Why is it that plants I do like die off.*****
    Perhaps they like a 'telling off' voice

*****.LIKE A BAD DREAM WHICH CAN BE WITH US ALL DAY-AND THE GOOD ONES ARE FORGOTTEN WITHIN MINUTES.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 02-02-2013 at 01:04 AM.

cathidaw

Today it's Saturday-and Gods in his heaven alright. Its beautiful day and I ve just noticed a clump of daffodils which weren't there last week, and the asparagus is shootin up--must remember to move some of it soon. The grass is green and my little garden of pebbles is shining in the sunlight.. And only last week we had all that snow.
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

It looks like spring's turning into a bit of a lost cause. I planted out some veg. a month ago, and put them under galoshes and they still haven't started to grow!

cathidaw

were your feet in them?

Pillar of the Community

Its been far too cold at ground level for anything to be planted yet. I have just seen the first blossoms on the neighbours' cherry tree but can't help wondering if that will be frozen off before long as the cold snap is set to continue for a while we are told. All my plants are still in winter clothing, no buds evident yet. The sun is out today and it does feel warmer. My pond fish were up and ate so things may be looking up but I won't rush yet.

cathidaw

what a lovely day today.Too cold for the flowers though.

Green Grow my Daffodils O'.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 04-04-2013 at 11:24 PM.

Pillar of the Community

grey, cold overcast again. Brrr- its so changeable.

rebbonk

A few flakes of snow North Coventry at about 9.00.

Pillar of the Community

A little wren was singing with vibrance on my fence at 0830. He was the only bird song I heard this morning. The usual throng of the dawn chorus seems unusually lacking these days- maybe like the plants the birds are waiting for better things to come and frankly so am I.

rebbonk

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret View Post
    Right now I am bunged up with a cold
    We've both suffered over the last couple of weeks. It's hit the other half quite badly. She just thinks she's getting better then wham, it knocks her down again.

Pillar of the Community

Hi All and I also hope Rebbonk's wife and Margaret feel better soon. In sympathy if it helps,Mr Gladys has been suffering with the most terrible bout of manflu? I think this long cold dinghy winter has zapped a lot of people especially as we all tend to rely on central heating and often with the thermostat up too high as well. There in lies the problem. It would probably be better if we toughed it out with a log fire when needed but wore layers and even coats in side instead. It snowed all afternoon and evening here but I am pleased to say it didn't lay. I've seen on the forecast for today we may get more if not sleety rainy stuff; deep joy. My fish have gone deep again so I'll go by their forecast as they do seem to reflect when its safe to come up/out. Need I point out that the hatches are still battened down here.

I've just been down to the South coast of Devon for a few days. Not a flake of snow to be seen, but the wind was something else - really cold from the North and East. Of course, I come home today, and there's hardly a puff of wind!

It has been a harsh winter in many respects and many have been thoroughly knocked around with colds, flu, bronchitis, laryngitis etc. In today's world staff are often 'discouraged' from taking time off sick with the use of attendance policies, so, instead of allowing our bodies time to recover from some of these illnesses we drag ourselves out of bed, out into the freezing cold, go to work and do our bit in sharing the germs with our work associates and customers.

Now, without further ado...

Roll on spring, sunshine and bumble bees!
    Cool

Pillar of the Community

Shizara, I saw a huge bee flying past the window earlier on today. It was one of those that look like a zeplin with a fur coat on. Hopefully it'll be OK as it still isn't warm but it may signal the start of better things to come. I still can't see any leaf bud on the trees though. They remain bare other then the cherry blossom on the neighbours' tree which came too early and has sort of shriveled and gone funny. That is very worrying indeed.