Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coventry Charterhouse............ a rant

cathidaw

Default Coventry Charterhouse............ a rant

How do they get away with it?
    Coventry Charterhouse, given to the people of Coventry by Colonel Wyley in 1940 for their perpetual use and leisure, the fields of which he called one of the 'city's lungs' is now up for sale.
    From the road no-one can see the building, only the boarded up side surrounded by debris.It should be used by and opened up to the public, perhaps as a small museum / exhibition centre / tearoon.
    After leaving part of this ancient historic building to rot for years, only using parts of it for theirown offices , they have decided to sell, and it is not theirs to sell.
    Whats the betting that Bluecoat school which caused all the controversy last year,wanting to rent the fields against much opposition,get their way and have it for their own use and not allow public access at all.
    Coventry council have done it again.
    This once beautiful building, along with the Old Grammar school in Hales street, and the Whitefriars Monastery, possibly almost the only places left from the City Council'scarnage over the years which are worth preserving, will be soon history in a different sense....Gone.
    Many cities would have cherishd these buildings, restored and used them properly allowing the public to use,see and value theirown heritage .
    Instead, what do we have?
    A boarded up Charterhouse, a Monastry which is closed to the public, and which no-one could get to,, and an ancient Grammar school, the biggest eyesore in the city centre.
    The excuse for the Grammar School is that it does not belong to the council so they cant touch it. It hasn't stopped them in the past from slapping a compulsory purchase order on anything they wanted.

So intent on spending money now, they are going ahead with the new Jerde initiative,the money from which would more than coverthe city's deficit, rather than modernising what we already have. The money spent on that project would easily have covered all the cuts in vital services for Coventry.
    We are told that it is for the future, but I often wonder -- people are suffering now.
    So what about now.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 18-09-2011 at 12:21 AM.

A bit of possible good news Cathi, there are plans to turn Charterhouse into a visitor attraction: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-28071143
    Last edited by Lex; 26-07-2014 at 09:42 AM.

A grant has been made towards the restoration, hope it's put to better use than the money given to the Shakespeare Birthplace trust!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-31126142

Margaret

That's good news about Coventry receiving funds.
    What they are doing with New Place seems to be a replica of what they've done outside the RST. That is destroy perfectly good gardens, concrete it over and turn what is a restricted area into some ludicrous piazza style walkway.
    The people of Stratford must feel at breaking point with the RSC and the bodies in the town.
    I simply can't understand the ugly destruction of a nice area which is in keeping with the ambience of the town.

rebbonk

At Least Stratford hasn't got nothing but massive patios! - Thanks Mutton!

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    At Least Stratford hasn't got nothing but massive patios! - Thanks Mutton!
    Won't be long until we do - pedestrianising the town centre has been mooted again recently!

The Charterhouse is getting £4.3 million to get work going: https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...urist-14459210

Established Member

i WONDER WHAT THEY HAVE IN MIND FOR THE WHITEFRIARS MONASTRY

Some interesting archaeological finds: https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...ology-18187612

I find things like this fascinating. Maybe in a different life I'd have taken up archaeology?
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

I've been interested in archaeology since I was a kid, spending years watching Time Team.

I went on a school trip (Sunday afternoon!) when the Lunt fort at Baginton was being excavated. Apparently, it was the only time the teacher had seen me show an interest in anything!

I'd be a lot happier if Harrabin wasn't involved.

I'm not making any suggestions of impropriety, but his company seems very involved with schemes like this. I'd like to see things spread around a little.

Charterhouse has an open weekend; should be a good event: https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...gress-21515501

A couple of relatives of the last occupants have had a bit of a tour of the property: https://coventryobserver.co.uk/news/...refurbishment/

Looks like the charterhouse will open next spring.