Thread: Garden Birds

Default Garden Birds

As a result of a request made by Mari I have started a thread here for "Garden Birds". At some point will see what we can do about moving it to its own little home.
    Cool

Where I live, there is no garden, however, there are gardens around us and even in the car park we see birds, predominately pigeons, pecking around the snow looking for food. One of my neighbours faithfully feeds all birds that appear, not making any distinction between them. Finding food in winter is difficult for the birds, so a little help from humans I am sure is much appreciated.

The red breasted robin is a lovely splash of colour against the snow.
    Cool

Pillar of the Community

I refilled our 2 bird feeders on Christmas eve because there were several blue tits trying to get at the frozen old seed. However, since then I haven't seen them. I hope they are OK. We see very many different types of birds here. A little wren was balanced on the fence n Christmas afternoon. I assume he was after some small insects. However, the pigeons rule OK. They with the seagulls and crows are flourishing here especially as our neighbour throws loaves of bread out and it is them that get it first.We have a buzzard that flies over head from the woods beyond the farm behind us. The smaller birds seem to know and they stay away when he's over the area, maybe this is what the blue tits are wary of?
    Last edited by Gladys; 29-12-2010 at 03:29 PM. Reason: More

cathidaw

my three wrens are back---and my wood pigeons are pigging out on a large pizza someone gave me, left over from a party--veggie of course.

Pillar of the Community

Still no Blue tits- some one told me there is a virus hitting them or was. Many died. I hope they recover numbers for the spring. I sawa Buzzard sitting on a bough last week just watching me watching him- huge thing.I am told they take lambs, not sure they can manage that but rabbits yes. Do they live in Warwickshire, has anyone seen any?

cathidaw

My three old men ( pigeons)- sat today hunched in a row on the top of the swing.
    The bird table is too small for them--deliberately--and they sit sulkily trying to figure out how to get the food put out for the little birds
    Greedy lot-- they have there own low table -well- a slab upon some bricks.
    I have some photos of two of them on the ice on my pond in the winter.but I'm not sure how to upload them
    Last edited by cathidaw; 18-02-2011 at 02:19 AM.

Pillar of the Community

Thank you Mari, I had no idea Buzzards could carry something as big as a lamb but maybe they don't carry them just attack, kill and eat, taking bits off to their young. As for the Tits, I think it was on the TV- a news or mini documentary story- no I remember I believe it was on 'Farming Today' on a Sunday morning. I think an RSPB expert was talking about the problem. She was a lady and I seem to recall she was a vet. She said the virus attacks the Tits gullets and they can't eat so they die.

Pillar of the Community

Well- RSPB or Ornithology person, I think it was around August last year- Not sure but may have been later because people had been saying the Tits were missing from their gardens. I actually now think it was Country File.I'm quite certain it was Country File. I'm so sorry to seem so vague but you know how it is, time flies by too? Why not ask the BBC archives people through the BBC website on the 'Contact Us' facility?

Margaret

Default Dawn Chorus

Couldn't get video to work
    Last edited by Margaret; 21-10-2014 at 07:53 PM.

cathidaw

I read that there are more wrens in this country than any other bird.
    My 3 wrens are back.....why only3 ?
    Last edited by cathidaw; 23-10-2014 at 12:21 PM.

Margaret

We regularly see a little wren in our garden and I often wonder how they survive the harsh winters, same with the robin.

cathidaw

I have a tin bird in my garden.Since I bought it we seem to have less real ones coming in.The squirrels eat the bird food.
    I'm taking this in for the winter now , so I'll see what happens.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 25-10-2014 at 02:55 PM.

Margaret

Daft question alert!

I have always wonderedd why the little robin bobs up and down when sitting on the garden fence or wherever he may be perching. I feed him with robin seed mix so he visits regularly.
    Last edited by Margaret; 27-12-2014 at 07:59 AM.

Margaret

Mr.& Mrs. Blackbird and are very appreciative of some Christmas cake and left over turkey, and even let Mr. Robin get his share. I love the way the blackbird loves grapes too, he swiftly runs off for cover with a juicy grape in his beak,like he has just nicked the Koh-i-Noor diamond ! I love their antics.
    Last edited by Margaret; 27-12-2014 at 08:43 AM.

cathidaw

The other week I made a Desperate Dan size cauliflower cheese for my grandsons who were coming.I had so much left over.After 3 days I never wanted to see any more--ever.I put it on my bird table on a foil dish.First the 2 squirrels came- ,running up the garden with chunks of cauliflower and over the fence to next door's garden-their nest is there.
    Then the blackbirds , flashing around with creamy beaks.All the little birds were on the grass picking up food which was dropped.
    A lovely sight.

Pillar of the Community

Darn it, I just threw out a healthy large table spoonful of what was left of the cheesey leeks from the Christmas Dinner. I really didn't think the birds would go for it. Now i see that Cathidaw's lot like cauliflower cheese, I'll try it next time. There wasn't enough left from today's New Years Meal so they'll have to wait. The other problem(s) we have are the neighbour's two killer cats and my two doggies. The birds visit but not as often as they used to. I have seen a little wren though. He or she is quite happy flitting across from one flower basket to another. I suppose there are little insects living in them.