Thread: Another Bumble Bee rescued..

Default Another Bumble Bee rescued..

I was walking home from the railway station a couple of nights ago and it was raining. When I got home and turned a light on I noticed something moving on the carpet. Upon closer inspection it was a very, wet bumble bee that was going nowhere fast. I hunted for a wee box and found one with a halogen mini spot light - perfect size, so took the halogen bulb out. Using one of the light supermarket carry bags I cut a piece of it off and wrapped it around the box leaving an extended area to use like a porch and sticky taped it on so it was secure on the sides. I carefully placed the poor bedraggled bumble bee into the dry cardboard box and placed it facing away from the weather in a planter trough. By next morning, the sun was out and the bumble bee had gone. So hopefully, it had dried over night and flown away.
    Cool

I do like honey, especially Manuka honey.

Aww, well done for trying to rescue the robin. They are so small and fragile, just as the bumble bee is. Anything we do that helps their survival can only be good.
    Cool

cathidaw

Quote Originally Posted by Mari View Post
    Shizara, just wondering if we could have a thread for ' Garden Birds here.
    Good idea Mari, Then I can bore everyone once again with my woodpigeon tales.
    9 fledged this year in my trees. 8 of them are still around and line upon the top of swing awaiting any leftovers, when I open the curtains in the morning.
    Great heavy things they are too, leaving deep trails in the snow as they plod around.
    Many people hate them, but a bird is a bird.
    (No 9 was hit by a car as it swooped too low over the road as it was learning to fly.)
    Last edited by cathidaw; 23-12-2010 at 10:58 PM.

It is indeed a good idea but I can only start it as a thread. In the interim I have started it under Sports, Activities and Interests.
    Last edited by Shizara; 24-12-2010 at 05:26 PM.
    Cool

Pillar of the Community

I just heard a racket coming from the kitchen. I actually thought it was a helicopter flying low overhead at first but it was a huge ' Zeplin ' in a tiger striped fur coat. She's free now but how beautiful she was. I hope its warm enough for her and she is safely on her way to where ever. ( I put this on the other Bumble Bee thread- sorry)

Well done Gladys. She is one very lucky queen and I agree, bumble bees are beautiful, a marvel to behold as they buzz around looking for food and they seriously need our help for survival.

The Bumblebee Conservation Trust is doing an incredible amount of good work to help them. To get the buzz on what they are up to:

http://bumblebeeconservation.org/

I can't do a lot gardening wise - no garden, but I have a small trough with lavender growing and am about to replace the contents of the hanging pots. Last year the bumblees loved them and I know some of you encourage them into your gardens. The more food supplies they have the better their chances are. There are other factors too but, most of us can help with the food supply in some way.
    Cool

If you find a bumble bee nest, please, please, please, please, please, don't be tempted to kill them all or even be afraid of them. They generally do not have a reputation for being aggressive unless threatened and I am sure that you too would react in a similar situation. They don't swarm and don't attack like wasps. If you allow them to continue on with their day/s the bumble bees benefit and so do we as they do a fantastic job of pollinating plants, wildflowers and the vegetables in your garden. Leave them in peace. The nest won't be active for long and should die naturally in a few months by which time the new queens will be buzzing off to hibernate somewhere for the next season.
    Cool

An entire species has been successfully reintroduced to the UK!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-24112752

Pillar of the Community

There's hope when conservation projects like this take the time, trouble and cost to do this type of thing. We need more of it though.