Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Jobs for the class of 2009.

Established Member

Default What Jobs for the class of 2009.

I have been thinking a lot today as my cousin has just finished college....

So with exam results having come out this week what do you guys think are the realistic chances for the class of 2009 finding jobs?

Youth unemployment currently stands at 19% - so do you think these guys will fare any better?

I mean realistically they will just add to the number of people that are currently out there inundating agencies, companies or even trawling through job sites to find work. What are their chances compared to the rest of us do you think? Will they fare better than those that have been looking for 1+ years or end up at the back of the ever growing queue at the job centre?

I know there are a lot of chances out there at the moment in any given industry but aren't these figures frightening? I am sure we all know someone out of work and someone that has just entered the workforce! I think even apprenticeships will be fewer and far between don’t you?

Anyway I only thought of this after seeing the BBC thing where they are following the Class of 2009 to see what happens to them :- BBC NEWS | Business | Class of 2009 absorb exam results for anyone that is interested! I am intrigued to see how it goes for each of them

cathidaw

Where are the jobs in any given industryJosie Which given industries are they?
    I know some professionals who have been made redundant-, and the so called job centres are treating them like cattle, ordering them about and being unreasonably rude about their circumstances.
    One man I know has been a consultant for 10 years , dealing with all kinds of planning applications, even planning our motorways . He has been told he needs retraining, but only in jobs like plumbing or welding.when he declined these training jobs and suggested other courses they told him that he must go on a computer literacy course and to get a certificate to say he has learned the basics of Word . No matter that he has been doing it for a living for years.They don't want to know, and say that if he doesn't they'll stop paying him his pittance and insurance stamp. If he does go and wastes our money, it reduces the jobless total by one whilst he's on the course.
    This is an Alice in Wonderland situation.
    It is bad that young people have no hope of a job in the forseeable future , but there are many with families and mortgages who need their jobs to survive. Most youngsters have families who may support them but older ones have no-one.
    It is worse now than the 70s and eighties-remember the 3 day week-now it's a no day week for many more.
    And did anyone tell us that anyone with a degree who wants to go on a training course not on 'their ' (the job centre's) list has to pay for it themselves- and lose the dole if they don't get a job within 3 weeks.
    Of course these young people won't get jobs-the aren't any . The Government will send them on Mickey Mouse courses at great expense to get them off their lists and the lucky ones who have just entered university have 3 years or so before they too are in the same boat.
    There will soon be so many plumbers and welders about and the competition will be so great, the prices will come down and we'll all be able to get one almost before the phonecall has ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    I have been thinking a lot today as my cousin has just finished college....

So with exam results having come out this week what do you guys think are the realistic chances for the class of 2009 finding jobs?

Youth unemployment currently stands at 19% - so do you think these guys will fare any better?

I mean realistically they will just add to the number of people that are currently out there inundating agencies, companies or even trawling through job sites to find work. What are their chances compared to the rest of us do you think? Will they fare better than those that have been looking for 1+ years or end up at the back of the ever growing queue at the job centre?

I know there are a lot of chances out there at the moment in any given industry but aren't these figures frightening? I am sure we all know someone out of work and someone that has just entered the workforce! I think even apprenticeships will be fewer and far between don’t you?

Anyway I only thought of this after seeing the BBC thing where they are following the Class of 2009 to see what happens to them :- BBC NEWS | Business | Class of 2009 absorb exam results for anyone that is interested! I am intrigued to see how it goes for each of them
    Last edited by cathidaw; 26-08-2009 at 12:14 AM. Reason: spellchecking

Pillar of the Community

Cathidaw, My son just wants to be a Farrier. He has probably, very niaively left it all too late (His dyslexia is very bad but he is a very bright young man. I didn't say it; the education people did.) Anyway, what ever he is working on a casual minimum wage basis to earn his way but really most of his compatriots from school seem to be totally useless apart from a few.Do they have any drive-NO. Do they have any ambition- No. What can you do without these things? I think parents need to instill in children a ' verve a la vie'! A Drive, an enthusiasm, a passion for something in life. I see these young people who do not have any of these things. What say you?

I have to say... I am not very optimistic about the chances of GCSE leavers getting jobs before the end of the summer. In my opinion it depends what you are aiming for and where you want to go. Part of me thinks that many youngsters are going to avoid the jobs market and just further their education - go to university, college or do A-levels. In my mind that opens up a debate of its own and I will save that one for later :lol:

I guess it comes down to companies. How picky are companies being when it comes to recruitment? Competition for jobs is said to be fierce with tens of applicants applying for one role, are companies then going to cherry pick the best? On the other hand some students are a lot cheaper to hire and can be perfectly qualified for the job... will youngsters be picked over seniors? I can almost see it from two sides....

Established Member

I see the point of view of all of you here! It is indeed a scary place to be right now if you have been made redundant or are looking for work! Like Emily-O says competition is fierce!

There are so many people applying for each and every job right now! Surely those with experience will win over those that have just left school or college?

A good friend of mine has just had to take a very severe pay cut just to get back into work after being made redundant several months ago! This willingness to accept less puts even more of a competitive edgre on things don't you agree? So then surely it isn't necessarily cheaper to hire a recent graduate is it?

cathidaw, in response to you - I cannot believe howe they are treating your friend, it is horrible! I mean some of these courses may be relevant to some but not to someone with all that experience! Its a crazy crazy world out there right now!

Pillar of the Community

Said son has been doing casual equine work but has succeeeded in getting a job in horse rehabillitation which will be excellent experience for farriery and very good for his CV. At least he's working and more to the point in the industry he intends to stay in. This will take him through to when he gets an Apprenticeship in Farriery.

Established Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    Said son has been doing casual equine work but has succeeeded in getting a job in horse rehabillitation which will be excellent experience for farriery and very good for his CV. At least he's working and more to the point in the industry he intends to stay in. This will take him through to when he gets an Apprenticeship in Farriery.
    Thats great news Gladys Its good to hear the good stories out there as well a the bad so it doesnt look all doom and gloom!

I think parents need to instil in children a ' verve a la vie'! A Drive, an enthusiasm, a passion for something in life. I see these young people who do not have any of these things.
    Hi Gladys,

Your so right. Younger generations have little enthusiasm for life and aren't really interested in bettering their lives. Often spoilt or poorly cared for we are getting fewer and fewer kids who want to further their education after school.

Were also seeing a rise in our kids having kids - what do you think their children will end up being?

I believe far too many parents are relaxed with their children and their needs to be more of an authorative outlook on their up bringing and even education.

Pillar of the Community

Yes Marcey, you are right 'Authorative' but not Authoratarian - that seems to be where people as parents go wrong. Guide and advise but do not strangle and smother. My son tells me today that whilst he is working at the equine centre, they are supportive of him in his chosen career of farriery and he may have an interview for an Apprenticeship which will mean 3 weeks away working with the farrier- they will 'go' with that. I'm gobsmacked. That is amazing as my work logs how many times and how long you spend in the toilet. If its over 8 minutes in the day , you get the whip!!!! (That's NHS Direct by the way- a health provider caring for its staff )

Established Member

Yes Marcey, you are right 'Authorative' but not Authoratarian - that seems to be where people as parents go wrong. Guide and advise but do not strangle and smother. My son tells me today that whilst he is working at the equine centre, they are supportive of him in his chosen career of farriery and he may have an interview for an Apprenticeship which will mean 3 weeks away working with the farrier- they will 'go' with that. I'm gobsmacked. That is amazing as my work logs how many times and how long you spend in the toilet. If its over 8 minutes in the day , you get the whip!!!! (That's NHS Direct by the way- a health provider caring for its staff )
    Wow thats great! Lets hope he gets an interview and goes forward with it!

I agree with what you are saying about authorative and not authoratarian - A lot of people fail to get this right, its hard for thwem to strike the right balance!

As for your work timing toilet breaks - really? My god! I get the eye every now and then but I still go hehe! When youi gotta go you gotta go!

cathidaw

As I said before----job centres have a lot to answer for--, undermining the jobless, and making them feel worse. Some of them need sacking. I know from past experience it's thankless job trying to get work for people when there isn't any. but there is no need for the attitude of some.
    My grandson went to college and did a 3 day job. Now they have gone out of business t and he's out of work.
    He was told by telephone ,to go to the job centre at a certain time for a jobseekers interview. After travelling 10 miles and waiting for 2 hours he was told he wasn't on the list, he couldn't have one until he had phoned 'this number' to make an official appointment.Trying for 3 days he cant get through, or he's put on hold -and then disconnected. Phoned the job centre and they said can't help 'til he'd phoned 'this number' and got put on the'list'.
    And training...........
    What are they training them for when as fast as they get one job it goes bust.And aren't we going to have a lot of cheap plumbers in the future
    Last edited by cathidaw; 07-10-2009 at 12:27 AM.

Established Member

Its awful! One of my friends had the worst luck! She got made redundant from a job she had been in for 4 years - got another job - within 3 months got made redundant again as the company had come into some difficulty! Then she got another role pretty quickly again - this time really close to home so she was very happy and can you believe it happened to her again?

Finally now after another 6months of searching she has managed to get a job and has so far been there 2 months! The company appears to be stable so fingers crossed this job lasts a bit longer for her!

Another friend of mine had to take a significant pay cut to just get a job!

My little cousin that I told you about initially is still out f a job! He is working for my other half 2 days a week until he finds something - its just a shame though! jobs are few and far between and there is so much competition out there! Its horrible1
    Last edited by Josie; 08-10-2009 at 09:37 AM.

Pillar of the Community

Cathidaw, Is your grandson familiar with The Connexions people? They help kids who are of college age find courses, jobs everything. They help them with all the paperwork and redtape stuff. Look into it , you never know they may be able to help.I wish him luck. I've never known such a load of bunkem in my life. No wonder this country is in such a state. That's because its a Nanny state after all. Useless lot we have shaping it into a disaster zone. It used to be the greatest country in the whole world. Just look at it now - blimming shambles.
    Josie, your cousin should look into the Connexions too. Its great your 'other half' is able to offer him some respite. Good luck to him too.

Established Member

Cathidaw, Is your grandson familiar with The Connexions people? They help kids who are of college age find courses, jobs everything. They help them with all the paperwork and redtape stuff. Look into it , you never know they may be able to help.I wish him luck. I've never known such a load of bunkem in my life. No wonder this country is in such a state. That's because its a Nanny state after all. Useless lot we have shaping it into a disaster zone. It used to be the greatest country in the whole world. Just look at it now - blimming shambles.
    Josie, your cousin should look into the Connexions too. Its great your 'other half' is able to offer him some respite. Good luck to him too.
    Yeah definately I will let him know and see if he can get to work on that!

I don't think learning the gardening trade was the top of his list hehe! But its work and a skill so he doesnt mind it but would probably prefer something else!

Pillar of the Community

Josie, There is a 2 year landscaping course at Warwickshire College. Its based at Morton Morrell where he can live in if he's far enough away from home so as to make a compute inpractical. Its a bit more than gardening. There are also many other courses there from farming, gamekeeping, farriery, building etc- get him online to have a look. If he's 19 or under, the course is fully funded.

Pillar of the Community

Fingers, toes everything crossed. My son has his interview with the training Farrier on Monday at Lanbourne, Berks.The epicentre of the racing industry. Not good if you're anti-racing but very good if you're wanting an apprenticeship in Farriery. If he gets through that then he'll have a month's trial.