Thread: Looks like Lidl might be coming to town..

Default Looks like Lidl might be coming to town..

It seems that there has been a planning application to build a Lidl store and a closed in carpark on the former Kwik Save site in Nuneaton.
    Cool

cathidaw

Default a few thoughts

A Few thoughts on Bedworth
    one day soon I'm sure here in Bedworth too there will be Lidl but hopefully not a Netto . I think Sainsbury's have been asked in the past but is too posh, .
    There is no better place than here- Bedworth- to do that boring food shopping, (all that choice)-so let them all come here.
    We already have Tesco, Aldi, Iceland, Home Bargains, all within a few hundred or less, yards from each other.Two are side by side. And -oh yes a pound shop. And all these shops are always busy.
    But the town centre itself is rubbish . Very pretty , flower beds second to none, lovely! block paving, psuedo-Victorian street furniture -same as many other towns- but no shoe shop, or proper clothes shop,(only two, catering for teenagers) Want a coat or suit? forget it.
    4 charity shops , three card, and 3 cake shops.and numerous banks and bulding societies.
    Woolies and W,H Smith have gone leaving a big gap--physically and otherwise. The vast newish £5 million police station with helicopter pad and state of the art secure cells closed last year but now the front office opens from 12-4 daily, unless there is no-one around. to staff it.
    And now the council is wondering why the town is empty after midday most days, trying to bring people in by having performance artists on Saturdays in the centre. But most people have gone home-or to Leicester or somewhere else where they have real shops.
    I'm sure it is the same in many towns and there must be a a solution.
    Our problem here is that most of the shop builings are owned by London and other big City Companies, the rents are high and leases astronomical.

There is talk now of the council offices closing .

However ,we must look on the bright side. Ken Dodd comes to the Civic Hall in November ----as he does year after year , and we don't have a ball game but do have a bun day.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 02-02-2010 at 06:07 PM.

.... and Santa is due to call again in December too
    Cool

vince t

Default Parsonage Heritage Centre, Bedworth

The shops maybe shutting as most other towns but don't forget that in Bedworth we have an excellent heitage centre.
    The Parsonage is located near the 57 bus stop right in the centre of town in part of the almshouse complex.
    Always a good exhibition and a friendly Bedworth welcome.
    Free admittance. Open Tuesdays/Fridays 10.30-1.00, Saturdays 10.30-3.30
    The exhibition for the next few days is 'Kiss Ethel for Me' which is based around a collection of 100 letters from a young Bedworth man who was killed in 1918 during WW1. This is well worth a visit.
    The Bedworth Society

The roof is on and they are now bricking the exterior walls of the new Lidl. It will likely have an effect on the trading of some of the local stores. I am so glad I have a series of pictures of the former Kwik Save store before, during and after demolition. - Something I have meant to put online for a while for those that might be interested and I must do that.
    Cool

Nuneaton's on of the top towns in the country for value shops: http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/new...-value-8594155

rebbonk

Sadly, I don't agree with their definition of 'value'. What they actually mean is 'cheap stores'.

In my experience, pound and 99p stores rarely give true value for money.