Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: For Gladys ... Wheyms-Dalrimple

Pillar of the Community

Default For Gladys ... Wheyms-Dalrimple

NZ? That's where my Mum comes from. She's a 4th generation NZ'er. Her Mum's ?Uncle or great 'unc' was Te Rauparaha, not sure which. We've been trying to find all this out cos her own Mum didn't talk about it back then. (My Mum is 88 now and her memory of those days in the 1920s is faded)

Gladys> Te Rauparaha is wellknown in Maori history.

There are some very good Maori family history records. I lived in the far North of NZ and all of the Maori families I knew had a very good knowledge of their history.

Here is Te Rauparaha's ancestry:

Ngāti Raukawa - Raukawa genealogy - Te Ara Encyclopedia of New Zealand
    Cool

Pillar of the Community

Default Joseph Scofield- Te Rauparaha

Dear Shizara, What did you do in NZ? I'm so grateful for this. I have friends who are doing geneology searches for me except they have been on a 3 month world cruise up until today. My Mum's Granny,( Her Father's rellie- the reason why she didn't acknowledge or wasn't allowed to acknowledge her birth Mother's origions. Her Mum had a Maori name but she never knew it though her older siblings did. They were 9, 12 and 14 years her senior) we think, her G'Mother was Lady Agnes Sohia Wheyms-Dalrimple(Spelling a bit wrong) who at 4 years old came out to NZ on the first ships aged 4 yrs. Her Father or G'Father was the 3rd Earl Wheyms-Dalrimple. Anyway, My Mum always talks about when she could first remember at 4 herself at Granny's place. The Chauffeur would get the Rolls out and her Nanny would dress her and she'd spend the day at the races watching Granny's horses running. (We're talking 1924) Otherwise Granny was in bed and the land was managed by her 'other' uncles and her Dad who ran the sheep. Her Family seem to have been well placed but what I can't seem to find is the records for them.

Default For Gladys ... Wheyms-Dalrimple

We can continue discussions in this thread. I think it important that each search have its own identity.
    Cool

Oooh... Am on a roll now as i think I have cracked it so to speak... Updates later.
    Cool

Progressing well now.. have taken one line back quite a few generations.. Wahey!
    Cool

A few spelling discrepancies - but that isn't unusual. Have been able to follow the line to find the Te Rauparaha connection and getting near to sorting the Dalrymple line. Time for sleep now though.
    Cool

Pillar of the Community

Default For Gladys Wheyms-Dalrimple

Dear Shizara, I am gobsmacked. Thank you. My Mum is slowly digesting the Te Rauparaha info. I think it has unlocked some memories for her.

Awww... Hopefully, she will relay those memories to you.. Do note them down because they are memories to be treasured.

Memories can become cloudy with time, however, little reminders can freshen them again.
    Cool

A thought.. Once I finally get the Earl Dalrymple bit sorted ... We can go on with your Dad's side and see what we can find, though.. a caution... I have found from researching and seeking my friend's Canadian Serviceman's Dad from WW2 it probably won't be the breeze this has been and I won't know what we can achieve until I put together what I have and anything you or your Mum can remember. In the meantime.. I need to finalise the Earl's connection.
    Cool

Pillar of the Community

Default For Gladys - Wheyms-Dalrimple

Dear Shizara, Thanks so much. The Earl we think is the 3rd Earl of Strathclyde which my 'Round the world cruisers' say links to Mary Queen of Scotts- Don't know how but think this is where Agnes Sofia comes in.
    Anyway, The Canadian connection came in because my Mum married my Dad (George Charles Richard Barefoot born in Dover , Kent Uk, ?8th or 9th September 1925- I don't know because he died aged 48 in 1973 on ?17th,18th or 19th November when I was 13 years old and away at Boarding school) and he was half Canadian. His Dad was Leutenant Colonel George ?? Barefoot (His Father was Surgeon Colonel Barefoot- apparently) Lt Clnl Barefoot married Dorothy Winter- what is more there is Blackfoot Indian blood there - apparently!!!She was my Grandmother and she died in 1987/1988 at the age of ?95. Her Sister ran a fur trapping station in the lakes of Ontario in Canada and the BBC did a documentary of it. She was 102 then. There were reported to be 11 children of that family. My Canadian Grandmother was a Sister of the Royal Canadian Nursing Corps, Her Sister, Constance was the Matron of the field hospitalof the Battle of the Somme for the RCANC. (I'll think of more but have work tomorrow)

Filling in the blank spaces. Wonder if I will find the Indian blood connection. Finding the Maori side wasn't so bad because I know which avenues to search.

Your family has quite a lot of background that will make interesting reading as I am making notepad notes of these things as I go.
    Cool

Pillar of the Community

Default For Gladys- Wheyms-Dalrimple

Hello, Shizara, Thanks again for all of this. The Winter line are said to have a Blackfoot Indian connnection but I have absolutely no idea other than it is meant to exist. Does any one know about them? The Agnes Sofia Wheyms-Dalrimple connection has thrown a q or 2. Mum says she is reported to have gone to NZ with her ?Father Sir or "nd Baronette Wheyms-Dalrimple- I haven't seen him mentioned in NZ despatches) aged 4 but there has never been any mention of her Mother ever!!! This was Mum's point. That Great Granny wasn't mentioned. (Peeps went to the Other World' when there was scandal. I suspect a skeleton. If anyone knows of any history on the Migration of UK peeps in 1830 onwards, please get in touch.Its getting exciting.

Hunting down the ancestors is always exciting. I have also found that excitement reigns when you find the answer to a riddle or prove a family tale to be true or near to true .. but somehow another bunch of questions come out of it.

Your tree is coming along rather well.
    Cool

Pillar of the Community

Default For Gladys- Wheyms-Dalrimple

Shizara, How clever are you, I really am amazed. Agnes Sofia- reportedly Lady Agnes Sofia is still holding a mystery card. Why would her Father; the 3rd Baronette go to NZ alone with a 4 year old child on the 1st Ships? There has to be a skeleton. No Mother mentioned or with them. It is something my Mum has always pondered about especially as she was an elderly 'trout' with attitude when my Mum was only 4 or 5 yrs old! (There was always a nanny though)

Grins.. I will leave no stone that I find unturned. I don't promise the the sun the moon and the stars, just let's see what fortune and search turn up for us. - Trumps hopefully! - Giggles
    Cool