Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: For Gladys ... Wheyms-Dalrimple

Pillar of the Community

Poor Dog(s)- it is more often than not the owner with the problem- his landlady had not taught this mut any manners. You're Father obviously did like dogs but didn't quite know how to relate to them in 'public'.
    On from this I've had emails from a lady in Melbourne, New Zealand who says she's related to my J H Hankins- he married Agnes Sophia Weymss-Dalrymple in Hokitika, NZ 1872. I can't quite sort out how she is related, I'm either shocked or it is again the Victorian, Georgian habit of repeating names for children so you can't quite understand which generation they come from or which one they actually are. Will keep you posted.

Pillar of the Community

Hi All, The lady from Melbourne is indeed a cousin from J H Hankins' sister Alice. I never knew he had one until now nor did my Mum. It transpires that thier father was a vet and he and his wife took their 10 children out to NZ in 1863 from Herefordshire. Their Father John also was son to a Richard Hankins, Gentleman farmer who farmed quite a plot in around Yarkhill, Bartstree, Hereford. Anyway, Great news for those who are interested. It seems some brilliant sleuth in Aus may have found where Sarah Dalrymple nee Thomson is.Will confirm it later but if its her she died 14/04/1897 in Melbourne. See Vic Ref 1897/7024

Pillar of the Community

It is her- Sarah Dalrymple died alone 14/04/1897 at 26 Camden Street, Balaclava, Melbourne Australia. She was buried 16/04/1897 at Melbourne General Cemetery in a private grave, Section CC 1451 simply marked Dalrymple- Sarah. How sad but at last we found her. What a journey.

The writing on her death registration, the copy of which arrived yesterday is just about as bad as it could be but she died of 3 or 4 things including the word 'apoplexy'. Her age was given as 65.The Informant was some one called 'E Pollard authorised agent' then I can't make out the rest and a 'Campbell' given as the name of father and mother,with a curious scrawl beneath the name which I cannot make sense of because it looks like 'german' but maybe 'servant' which does make sense but the word is written incompletely if that is the case. She is recorded to have been born in Glasgow which we know is wrong and to have lived in 'the colony' 25 years which is also wrong. She and GSWD left England 1863 bound for Melbourne and he then went on to NZ- she went between the two but settled in Melbourne. She is shown to have been married to John George Dalrymple which we know is wrong and her children are listed as Agnes, John, Emilie in that order. Wrong but right children.

Pillar of the Community

Hi All, I'm just posting as a mark of respect as it is 113 years today that Sarah WeymssDalrymple died. What an amazing journey to find her. I've had such wonderful help and I am again sending out my Thanks to all who did and to those who showed interest.

Pillar of the Community

Hello All, I have found out from my Australian cousin that our rellies lived at Hagley Hall, Hereford. Does anyone know of it? I'd love to see a decent photo and know abit more about it. I have Google Earthed it but its an ariel view and the British Listed Buildings info doesn't have a photo. It was listed in 1952. I know its a different county but just wondered if anyone goes into Herefordshire from time to time? As I'm in Hampshire, its a bit more than a quick drive up the road.

Pillar of the Community

I just wanted to put this link up- some one has found a picture of Hagley Hall. Its a handsome house.
    http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/722707

I've just been given this link- I think this is the church where many Hankins are buried and also this farm may be what was the Family Farm.
    http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/SO58904180
    Last edited by Gladys; 10-05-2010 at 10:08 AM.

Pillar of the Community

I am amazed that we can now finely tune and actually pin down our origional roots to this hamlet- its not even a village. Its smaller than that. This is where we come from. If I think about it even more its so weird because the Hankins who left for NZ were 12 in number= Mother and father and thier 10 children or was it 12? I can't remember without getting the file out and they in turn have bred offspring. We're now spread right across the world but this is where we began.

Pillar of the Community

I just wanted to share this link with anyone who is interested. It seems 'we' Hankins were Weston Beggard. It was all listed in 1952 but who by andd why? http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co...weston+beggard

Pillar of the Community

Hello, I have just come off the phone from the current owner of Pidgeonhouse Farm. Lovely man who is sending me photos etc. He is the 3rd generation to have the farm. This is an amazing journey.

Rowan

Default I am a relative of the Hankins / Dalrymple clan

Hi,

My Mum found this site while googling 'william fitzherbert hankins' and asked me to register and leave a message. Her maiden name is Hankins and Gwynnedd was her Aunt (Great Aunt I guess). My mum can also tell you what happened to the painting that you mentioned.

My grandfather did a lot of research into our family tree and while he was alive he gave me a copy. I still have it back in the UK (although I am teaching in Turkey at the moment), but it may be of interest.

If you want to get in touch you can e-mail me at: *rowancastle*@*gmail*.com (just remove the asterisks so it is all one word - I put them in to stop my e-mail address being picked up by search engines and spammed).

All the best,

Rowan

Gladys is going to be so pleased to make contact with you and I think you will find all information is of interest. This thread started off with some comments then exploded into the results of searching. Putting family history together is a never ending task but extremely rewarding even if there are skeletons knocking on the cupboard door. I can hardly wait for Gladys to make contact with you. This is so exciting.
    Cool

Pillar of the Community

Hello Rowan and Yes, Shizara is so very right. This started out with a tenuous few bits of information and has really taken off. I am amazed at the never ending connections and new Cousins popping up. Some times it seems like months go by and then out of the blue another snippet to add to the puzzle as with you, Rowan. Thank you for making contact. I'll tell Mum and she'll be equally thrilled. Please send my/our regards to your Mum. I do know who she is although I have never met her. I did meet your Grandfather though a couple of times. He was a man with a wealth of stories to tell, quite fascinating. If you have his handwritten account of The Hankins tribe, it would be good to hear more. I started this journey looking at his and My Mum's GrandMother; Agnes Sophia. Now that has been mind blowing. I'm sure she is creaking in her grave to think we are discussing what she barely talked about all these years later.