Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: For Gladys ... Wheyms-Dalrimple

I am quite sure we can task him with something.. Tracking the family plot and its inhabitants...

I think I mentioned earlier that with family research you might find the answer to something and it opens up more questions.. which, is part of the fun. It is rather like a treasure hunt.
    Cool

Pillar of the Community

Default For Gladys... Wheymss-Dalrymple

Shizara, I've given the Southey Baker info to Mum- I left her giggling I've emailed both our nephew and the Vicar of All Saints In Palmerston North. It really is exciting. Any more on Sarah Thompson or Emily?

Giggles... I am so glad you are enjoying this because I certainly am and I am not even related to this family of - shall we say - interest!

Doing a little on the Sarah Thompson and Emily bit this morning before I go out.
    Cool

Pillar of the Community

Default Wheymss-Dalrymple

Hello Shizara, Yes Mum has been giggling alot because its both unlocking memories of people, events and situations that she'd always wondered about ,suspected but didn't dare ask. You have to cast your thoughts back to Edwardian values of 'don't mention the war..' type of attitude except the war in this case were the very many skeletons it seems they'd wrapped away. Mum being a young child was not privy to any of it except the whisperings and knowing looks that told her there was something she was excluded from. Her granny (Agnes Sophia)was seemingly unapproachable in her elderly years, the chaufuer getting the car out and the nanny dressing Mum for presentation. Granny then being wheeled out for the races to watch her horses run and then returning to her bed chamber. What a way to exist! I spent ages yesterday trying to look at North Leith records but I only achieved frustration. Thank you again. I'm glad you are enjoying this, we definitely are.

Oooh... Have found the burial places for Agnes Sophia Hankins nee Dalrymple and some of the clan. As soon as I collate the info will give it to you.
    Cool

Found a load of Baker names in the same cemetery. Amongst them there may well be a clue..

BAKER, BERNARD WEMYESS - A child, but no age given when he died.

On the other side of the world it seems unlikely to me that the Wemyess (another spelling) name would be a random choice.

No sign yet of Emily Eliza Dalrymple or Sarah Thompson.
    Cool

A mini update. Have found another record and it is looking more like the parents of Agnes and Emily are the same:

George Samuel Weymss Dalrymple and Sarah Thompson

So I don't think the skeletons are banging around on that one, but very likely with the Southey Baker connection.

Also, would May Hankin be a name known to your mother?
    Cool

George Samuel Wemyss Dalrymple | NZETC

Whilst I have saved a copy of the picture, this is the url that I found it on. If you don't know how to save it then right click on the picture choose Save As or Save Image As .. give it a name and save it somewhere.
    Cool

Pillar of the Community

Default For Galdsy... Whemyss-Dalrymple

Dear Shizara,
    You are a truely brilliant researcher. Yes, May Hankins was Mummy's Aunt. She married her Uncle 'Budge' Fitzherbert- that's another line of great interest- QC, Barristers apparantley. I've save the picture and copied it so will show it to Mum tomorrow. I am so excited because the All Saints Church people have replied to say its not their church but may be the one at Foxton. You may recall her Great Grandfather was known as the 'Father of Foxton'- lets see what comes through next.

Mr. William Lockhart Fitzherbert, Partner of the firm of Napier and Fitzherbert.

While residing at Levin he married the eldest daughter of Mr. T. Herbert Hankins, solicitor, of Palmerston North.

My Note: Think that should be Mr J. Herbert Hankins

I have some info on the deaths of both William Fitzherbert and his wife May but will post them for you tomorrow. Need to go to bed now.
    Cool

Pillar of the Community

Default For Gladys... Wehymss-Dalrymple

Dear Shizara,
    I hope sleep found you on this wet Monday. I have found the grave- its in Terrace End cemetary Palmerston North, block 008 plot 35. It seems to contain the remains of Agnes Sophia, John Herbert Hankins, Daughter Elizabeth; 'Aunt Nell' and her two daughters June and Gwynnedd. It seems from the photo of it that Gwynnedd only died in what looks like 22/06/2004. I wonder if she has offspring or her sister has? If so there may be more living rellies!!!

Grins.... I saved the photos of the plot and the other details was tired this morning so you didn't get those extra bits.. Sorry!
    Cool

Pillar of the Community

Default For Gladys.. Wheymss-Dalrimple

Shizara-- great moves on the horizon. The 'Elizabeth' in the plot is not 'Aunt Nell' they are 2 different peeps. Elizabeth was married to Mum's Dad's Brother. Her Uncle Claude.They had 3 children, June, Gwynnedd and Ian. Elizabeth used to 'do' for Agnes. 10 Linton Street was Elizabeth's home and Agnes retired there to end her days to be looked after. What ever happened to Claude, I do not know. The Cemetary has 8 of them buried;he's not one of them. June and Gwynnedd are listed as Hankins. Mummy has mentioned an oil painting before, now I've given her the grave pics she mentioned it again. Its of general Dalrymple in his scarlet army tunic. She said Ian was meant to have had it but he 'fell' out with Gwynnedd and June, its gone to ground. Gwynnedd is said to have donated to to somewhere- no idea. I can find 2 or 3 General Dalrymples just not sure which one is which.

Cool

It would appear that J H Hankins - presumably John Herbert Hankins - was a People's Warden at the Palmerston North All Saints Church.
    Cool

Pillar of the Community

Default For Gladys... Wheymss-Dalrymple

Shizara, That is a portrait I haven't seen. I'll get Mum to have a look. I've found one of General Sir Hew Dalrymple on http//www.mmm.ac.uk/collections/prints/viewRepro.cfm?reproID+... This isn't showing as a web address now so I'm puzzled. Its a print so no colour but may be they are the same peeps. Mummy now keeps mentioning (and always has) The Earl of Stairs. I don't know but I still want to know who Sarah Thompson is.She has pulled out an old photo of definite 'old fogues' The earl's lot are in it, I think. Anyway, I'm not yet sure where she has pulled it from but its old.
    Meanwhile on The Cook front. I have made contact with a chap who is somehow central to the Foxton community. He and his wife are travelling to the UK tomorrow. He has already circulated my details (Mum's) to the Cook fraternity and hopefully one or two may make contact. He says he will try to visit us when they are here. I think that is just about the most amazing thing about this. The bringing together of people. Louisa Rui was Mummy's Grandmother bron from Meretini and TU Cook. There are 9 other branches of that line out there, they didn't know about us, now they do. It would be great to talk, meet know- you get my drift Its Excellent. Thanks to you