Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: For Gladys ... Wheyms-Dalrimple

Pillar of the Community

Default For Gladys- Wheyms-Dalrimple

I don't suppose there's a country pile lurking beneath those stones?
    More like the cow jumped over the moon and the rest is history

Well, either the Dalrymple men fancied women by the name of Sarah Thompson or there is a skeleton banging away in the wardrobe - unless it has a back exit to Narnia..

As you already know, your Agnes Sophia Weymss Dalrymple, Christened 1851, North Leith, Midlothian, Scotland, is the daugter of William Dalrymple and Sarah Thompson. I also have here Emily Eliza Dalrymple, Christened 1853, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland as the daughter of George Samuel Weymss Dalrymple and Sarah Thompson.

... and the little dog laughed as the dish ran off with the spoon to Narnia.
    Cool

Pillar of the Community

Default For Gladys- Wheyms-Dalrimple

Oh I knew it and so does Mum suspect. Who though is Sarah Thompson- the house or parlour maid? George Samuel - was he the Father or Brother of William? The skeleton must soon emerge. What transpired of Emily Eliza? Great guns- go for it. I spent hours today trawlling through Scotts geneology stuff and got stuff all. Thank you again. Bring it on and let us see.

I believe there are 3 or so skeletons emerging.Where did the Wheyms bit come in? The worrying thing is I married a Thompson; he's the Father of my children!!!!
    Last edited by Gladys; 15-04-2009 at 11:35 PM. Reason: More thoughts

Did I miss telling you what I feel to be the Wemyss bit? Crikey. Well, I think it goes back a couple of generations beyond your Agnes Sophia Weymss Dalrymple, perhaps to her grandmother, I find a Weymss Dalrymple and with a name as unusual as Weymss this surely has to be the connection. But bear with me, am still piecing this bit together.

I found this too.. Travelling to Hokitika in 1871 - so suspect they may have been abroad at some point I find...

HOKITIKA (12 Aug 1871)
    Dalrymple Mr
    Dalrymple Miss Agnes
    Dalrymple Miss Emily

So you would suspect there was a connection of some sort between the two girls.
    Cool

Pillar of the Community

Default For Gladys .... Wheymss-Dalryimple

Shizara- your sources are so good. Hokitika is where my Mum's Father was born - The Hankins connection. The net draws in

Currently putting together another Dalrymple family from NZ ... The plan being to see if I can link them to yours..
    Cool

Pillar of the Community

Default For Gladys - - Wheymss- Dalrymple

Shizara, I gave my Mum the latest it unlocked more. She does remember talk of Great Aunt Emily who was relegated to 'spinster'. She also said Grannie- Agnes Sofia had a 'meeting' with Southerly Baker and bore 2 children- she had 7 in total. Aunt 'Nell' was one of those children from SB.SB was apparently 'somebody' in Palmerstone North. Maybe the other Dalrymples you have found are Emily's. I still want to know who Sarah Thompson was- that is intreagueing

This is wonderful. I am so glad your mother is able to unlock information with the provision of some details. It tells me I am on the right track.

Am spreading the net on the mysterious Sarah Thompson, in fact have found the name connected to yet another Dalrymple man.

Have sent off a few emails too so, you never know, something may come of those, though I depend more on my own researching than email responses. That way you don't get disappointed if they don't email back and if they do it's a bonus.
    Cool

Hmm... Southerly Baker.. Any chance the "Southerly" could be a knickname?
    Cool

The plot thickens...

I have a gut feeling that the name is Southey Baker ... and possibly there is another name in front of that...
    Cool

Pillar of the Community

Default For Gladys... Wheymss-Dalrimple- spelling?

Shizara, I checked more than twice with Mum about 'Southerly' Baker , saying what a strange name, asking her,is it his actual or a 'nickname'. She was quite adamant that was his real name but again you never know. She was only 4,5,6 or 7 and would have been listening to adults. Again, may have to think sideways- he was in Palmerston North- sideways to Wellington and to Auckland!!! Sarah Thompson's name I have seen Thompsons on a list for the Dalrymple Parish register- just a hunch . I saw it before you mentioned her- a few Thompsons. Anyway. Bring it all on

Elizabeth Hankins and daughters June and Gwynnedd?
    Cool

Pillar of the Community

Default For Gladys ... Wheymss-Dalrymple

Hello Shizara, Southey Baker may well be it. I'll check again tomorrow. Aunt Nell- Elizabeth used to 'do' for Agnes arriving on her bike. The girls were privately educated paid for ny Granny and both may have had a degree of deafness as they had a speech impediment.

Soo... "Aunt Nell" is Elizabeth Hankins?
    Cool

I could be wrong but I *think* Southey Baker who was "somebody" in Palmerston North may well be Arthur Southey Baker who had a son with Ani Mere Pohio (Matenga Winara Southey Baker) before she married Ngai Tahu chief Teone Pohio of Tuahiwi.

I found this person carrying off the highest honours with his polo ponies at an A & P show.

He married Rachael Blanche Lloyd at Fielding in 1889.

The other one is Thomas Southey Baker, born 1848, BA - took his degree in 1871. He was the Manager of the Boarding House, Otago Boys' High School.

I also note a Miss Dalrymple connected with the Girls' High School of Otago:

..... an oil painting of the late Sir John Richardson, another of Miss Dalrymple (who was secretary of the committee formed in 1870 to establish the school)

Then, there is Eleanor Southey Baker who was born at French Farm, Akaroa, New Zealand, on 13 September 1879. She was the eldest of four daughters of Thomas Southey Baker, a stock owner, and his wife, Josephine Harriet Anne Dicken.

Of course, equally, there may well be no connection with either of these men and it could well be another, though the names are coincidentally very similar.
    Cool

Pillar of the Community

Default For Gladys... Wheymss-Dalrymple

Shizara, I think you are on a roll. There's much about what you have found that rings bells. I will print this off and give it Mum. She's been thinking back and she says Agnes Sofia had a Family plot in 'All saints' Church Palmerston North. That's where they are all buried. They had a family pew at the front of the church. Aunt Nell does seem to be Elizabeth> What happened to Emily though? Also what about Sarah Thompson? I still want to know. And why was there the William Dalrymple and then the George Samuel Wheymss-Dalrymple? Just aside from this as it is an unusual name. (Guy's sister works at the bank in Sandhurst. She says a Mrs Dalrymple-Hamilton used to come in- are they connected? Hampshire- Liphook/Hazlemere people.) You are amazing being able to find all of this out. Guy's nephew is in NZ now in Wellington. Do you think there's anything we could 'task' him with?