Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Think Positive

Default Think Positive

Just for once let's try to put our heads together and imagine it's in our power to improve Stratford. Let's imagine that all the present Great & Good have died of a form of plague that only affected Stratford District Council, Stratford Town Council and the members of World Class Stratford (their form of the disease included pustular boils) and there are only the members of this forum left to make decisions...What would we do to improve Stratford?

Administrator

I'd try and find some reasonable way of lowering shop rental fees, to encourage more independent stores. One possible way of starting this, might be to take every shop in the Bell Court and cut it in half. Remove all the clunk out the middle, and allow market stalls there.

I'd replace most the new and feeble looking trees that are cropping up on the bankcroft, with the saplings of trees that will one day be as big and Aesthetically pleasing as the old ones. Additionally, I'd replace large quantities of the the new slabs, with grass, and put a stop to the series on concrete pathways destined to be weaved through most the rest of the area. In other words, I'd make it look a lot like it did before, but tidier.

I'd remove all the unnecessary traffic lights that allow pedestrians a multiple choices for crossing the roads.

I'd flatten the monstrosity that is BHS - at least the large round warehouse type bit. And maybe replace it was some kind of pretty ornamental garden.

I'd ban any developer from Stratford who's idea of creative architecture is to 'add as much glass as possible'.

I'd tear up all parking ticket meters, and have the traffic wardens put in the newly erected stocks.

Said stocks will be used to threaten all future council members, should the try and force upon us another ugly idea.

Find whoever was responsible for the Stratford food festival, brush off the rotting vegetables, and put said person back on the council. On the understanding that they should come up with more good ideas or it's 'back in the stocks'!

I'd put a halt on the Birmingham Road canal Hotel, and instead turn the area into *gasp* a small riverside park. So that the surrounding residents from the newly installed rabbit warrens, can see what Grass and Trees look like.

That'll do to start with.

Oh, I'd turn the development land by the Railway station into another big park, maybe with swings.
    --==Forum Admin Will==--
    Your Friendly Forum Admin. - Contact me.

I'd go the whole hog and cut off the whole of the town centre to traffic. That would be the answer to a number of problems like the park and ride and pollution. I'd use a continual stream of electric taxis from the park and ride so that people could shop and then be taken back to their cars without too much hassle

Pillar of the Community

Default Think Positive

Bring back stocks to most of Britain's Towns. That's what I say. Thuggery and bullishness would quickly be managed and may even be gone- tomatoes and other soft fruit and missiles as amo of course. Public naming and shaming. Don't think it's PC though.

Those in the stocks could be tasked with the job of cleaning up as well and if they don't do a proper job of it then they spend another day in the stocks....
    Cool

This is by no means a complaint but isn't it interesting...I ask a serious question about what solutions one could offer about improving Stratford and apart from one or two sensible thoughts - zilch.
    Maybe everything is actually OK. Maybe there aren't any fresh ideas. Maybe all the past Stratford bashing (guilty your honour) is just something that the 'British' undertake with all the passion of a national sport, of maybe no-one actually cares?

Administrator

All my points are serious, even the thoughts put jokingly have a serious point behind them. I suppose one idea might be to respond to a few of them, instead of just rubbishing them all because of the jovial manner.
    --==Forum Admin Will==--

Default my fault

That's interesting Will. My fault. I was actually only rubbishing the stock comments. I should have made it clear.

Pillar of the Community

Default Think Positive

' I was actually only rubbishing the stock comments.' Ted de Stratford, This is a very negative way of responding. Short sighted actually! Narrow even, unBritish in spirit perhaps, You have missed the point and the flavour.

Administrator

No offence, but you're not exactly 'thinking positively' there Ted. As I said before, discussing some of the ideas a bit further, or suggesting a few more might be a good idea.
    --==Forum Admin Will==--

Blimey. This is gettling a little like taking on members of a gang. It was only an honest question asking for honest (and sensible) answers and I'm accused of being 'Unbritish'. What sort of nationalistic site is this? I surrender.n (plus three verses of God save the Queen).
    Last edited by Ted de Stratford; 31-01-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Pillar of the Community

Default Think Positive

Oh Dear, I am/ we are (Not meaning to speak for others but I speak as I find) all friendly, positive people. No gangland mindset as far as I'm aware; leave that to the Council peeps.

Just for once let's try to put our heads together and imagine it's in our power to improve Stratford. Let's imagine that all the present Great & Good have died of a form of plague that only affected Stratford District Council, Stratford Town Council and the members of World Class Stratford (their form of the disease included pustular boils) and there are only the members of this forum left to make decisions...What would we do to improve Stratford?
    You will find that even though some things are said in jest there is a point in them. The point being - from my perspective - part of improving a place is keeping it clean, tidy and law abiding. The jest in the stocks - again, from my perspective - is to suggest a better deterrant than the current slap on the wrist or sweeping under the mat of offences.

Ted, please enjoy being here. Every member is different, we all have different personalities and different ways of expressing ourselves and just because a response isn't made in plain English, leaving no room for interpretating any other way does not mean that there is no genuine meaning expressed in the comment and certainly not meant to insult anyone's intelligence.
    Cool

Pillar of the Community

Default Think Positive

' Ted, please enjoy being here. ' It is a great place to 'air' thoughts and ideas. I mean no harm. It would be good to draw a ' truce ' start again. (PEEPS Have I offended you?) All answers etc, by etc etc etc

Hi, time for my bi-yearly posts.

I think pedestrianising Bridge street would be wonderful. It's something the council has wanted to do for a very long time now, I can remember the proposed plans in the Herald a long time ago. The question is of course, just how badly would it mess up the traffic system in Stratford? Most people would probably go up Sheep street, which is tight to get down at the best of time when cars are parked on both sides of the road. I'm sure some radical reorganising of the traffic flow might help. Oh and the much discussed second Park and Ride south of Stratford.

Or let's go even more crazy here, let's spend a shed load of money on a 'World Class' (urgh) public transport scheme. Something that is so efficient, reliable, and regular, that it shows the rest of the country that out-of-city towns can have good public transport, which is good enough for everyone to use!

Getting back to Bridge Street, I'd like to see some great big trees planted in two rows down the middle - no weedy little things Will! Then I can imagine little outdoor cafes with a few tables and chairs scattered around the place. Some market stalls here and there, and all the usual European Street scene cliches.

OK, see you in 6 months if not sooner.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    I used to suffer from amnesia but I've been ok since ???