Thread: Soup Kitchen To Work In On Xmas Day?

Default Soup Kitchen To Work In On Xmas Day?

I'm seriously considering not 'doing' Xmas and concentrating on helping doing something positive in this world, rather than exchanging stuff I don't need with other people.

Is there a homeless shelter/something similar open on Xmas Day / Boxing Day?

What a kind and loving thought. There might be a Salvation Army or similar in your area doing something for others at Christmas. Generally they appreciate help.
    Last edited by Shizara; 19-12-2008 at 08:40 PM.
    Cool

cathidaw

Its a great idea.
    My sister and I, and my son, who comes up from Southampton , cook a Christmas dinner for the Salvation Army on Christmas Day . Last year there were about 35 people-this year there may be more.
    The meal is fantastic- as good as any hotel. Anyone can come for a meal. we have been doing this for 4 years and my sister for many years.
    You will need to phone up soon as they like to know beforehand how many helpers they are getting. Only so many -us and a helper are allowed in the kitchen-(elfunsafty) but there are other things to do like serving the meals to the tables etc.

Toad

Well done, Cathidaw, it restores my faith in people. What a pity that we have this sad, useless group of humanity intent on enforcing the Health & Safety rubbish, to the detriment of those in need. But that's a whole new debate!
    Happy New Year.

cathidaw

hi.
    This year we had around 40 people.
    One man came when the meal had finished , he'd seen it in the paper and turned up late but he still got his meal.
    My sister organises it and she is like a sergeant major in the kitchen and we usually do as she says. It works well. It has to, in a small kitchen.
    There were a lot of helpers and quite a few mid teenagers too which was good to see.
    I agree that elfunsafty rules has gone too far. Mostly it is just common sense
    Last edited by cathidaw; 12-01-2009 at 12:08 AM.