Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

cathidaw

Showing my age, Lex. I saw the film with Jennifer Jones in it.
    Also I saw it again on tv last year.A tear jerker if ever there was one.

cathidaw

the book I have nearly finished is "Dont Wake Me ar Doyles" by Maura Murphy
    Again, I picked it up at a church fair for 50p- ---(Thought I'd better buy something , I've got enough felt needlecases and fancy knitted coat hangers to last forever) - brand new-and hardback.
    About an Irish woman and family who came to England in the days when it was common to see signs--'No blacks , No Irish. and her struggles and triumphs.. funny at times.
    The 'Wake' in the title refers to a Funeral wake. Her husband drank all his money away at a pub called Doyles. worth reading.
    I'm not going to bother with Julian Barnes any more. I've come to the conclusion he's on a literary ego trip . One has to sift through the waffle to get to the story.

I have just read "Wicked Angel", an olden day romance.
    Like any old romance it had its start, its ultimatum and a happy ending. It was full of scandal (well... what was once scandelous). Let's jsut say for him to take her upstairs in front of his mother without wedlock...

If I am honest it was quite full of twaddle but highly amusing anyway!

cathidaw

My book club read this month was
    'The Future Homemakers of America',by Laurie Graham.
    Uninspiring title but an extremely good read.
    Starts during the war when the American airmen were stationed up in the 'uncivilised' fens of Norfolk., and follows them fo 40 years afterwards.
    Could not put it down.

Established Member

Im currently reading The Mughal Throne but I have no idea of the author as the book is at home and I am at work haha!

crazzycat

"American psycho" Bret Easton Ellis

cathidaw

I picked up a George Orwell -for 10p-that I hadn't read-'Coming up for air'
    . brillant writing if a bit gloomy.
    Also for 10p-Tony Hawkes book 'To The Pyranees with a piano' very funny.
    Someone told me that he wrote one called 'Round Ireland with a fridge'

I am now reading (not for 10p) 'Attention all Shipping' excellent and an amusing writer.

Don't you just hate books which say 'hilarious', 'screamingly funny' and
    when you get them they are not. I keep away from those --even at 10p.

Established Member

I am currently reading my way through the Twilight Saga and am enjoying it all immensely!

I am on the third book and then its onto the last one - excited

Well i just love Joanne Harris books, 5 quarters of the orange, blackberry wine, chocolat and lollipop shoes, read them all, the way she combines food, magic and life keeps you enthralled right through the books, no boring bits, id recommend them to anyone. Iv done the whole Twilight, harry potter and lord of the rings sagas, a bit overrated already i think, but one cant deny they were all really brilliant!!

Another author is Georgette Heyer, maybe not every ones cup of tea though, they are 17th / 18th century novels with a bit of a detective stuff, romance and funny bits in, iv read the entire collection of her books, sad really as she has passed on now and so i have nothing more to read of hers .

Other books iv read that i used to enjoy a lot are those of Virginia Andrews, Flowers in the attic and the rest of the series that followed were all good.
    Last edited by Mellijelli; 04-05-2010 at 11:48 AM.

Quite a bit, i mean they cant always fit everything and detail into the movie, so the book is always best, but i enjoy the movies too, even the potter movies were nothing compared to the books.

Established Member

agreed but definately still good on both counts I think dont you?

I am currently readinf some Virginia Andrews books a friend gave me!

cathidaw

Has anyone read Alan Titchmarsh's books?
    He's as good a writer as a Gardener.
    I have read 4 in the last couple of weeks. The one called ' Rosie' is one of the best I've read for ages.

cathidaw

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    He's not an author I've ever fancied reading, to be honest.
    I must admit that I didn't either, dont care for the man much,( boring) but was pleasantly surprised.He writes well.
    I am also reading again, The Condition of the Working Class in Britain, By Fredreich Engles. Quite an eye opener and certainly much of it is relevent today.The really poor are still with us, Some things have changed but attitudes of politicians and the rich to the proletariats ( I love that word ) certainly haven't.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 18-06-2010 at 01:09 AM. Reason: (cant spell)

JohnWills

I always read something new but now i am reading my favorite comic.

cathidaw

JUST STRUGGLED THROUGH BERYL BAINBRIDGE'S 'ACCORDING TO QUEENIE'
    My latest book club read.
    TIME WASTED.!

Markantoney

Currently I'm reading "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" which was written by J.K Rowling