Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Default What are you currently reading?

I like knowing what everyone is reading. I'm currently reading 'Anansi Boys' by Neil Gaiman, who is absolutely my favourite author. I'm also sad though, because once I've read it, I'll have read all his books and I'm going to have to wait years to see another one (this one has only just come out).

He's easily one of the most imaginative writers I've ever read.

So what is everyone else reading?

Sandman

I LOVE NEIL GAIMAN!

Just look at my name, I've got all of his graphic novels which are amazing. I've also just started reading some of his recent books, in fact I finished 'American Gods' last month, which was simply outstanding.

You're right, he is incredibly creative and his stories are the definition of the word 'magical'. The man rocks, I hope he writes a thousand more books.

I've wanted to read Iain Banks for ages, but I've yet to find myself in the right mood to pick up a copy of one of his books. Reading your recommendation has rekindled my interest, I'm a big sci-fi fan.

Running on empty

if you are going to try iain m banks dont start with feersum enjin, its a bit... odd...

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts..

Flippin marvellous!!

Next Train's Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Olive
    I like knowing what everyone is reading. I'm currently reading 'Anansi Boys' by Neil Gaiman, who is absolutely my favourite author. I'm also sad though, because once I've read it, I'll have read all his books and I'm going to have to wait years to see another one (this one has only just come out).

I'm not. I'm current 26,000 words into a Novella I'm writing!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Leofric
    I'm not. I'm current 26,000 words into a Novella I'm writing!
    That's brilliant, I wish I had what it takes to be a writer. So do we get to read any extracts?
    --==Forum Admin Will==--
    Your Friendly Forum Admin. - Contact me.

Next Train's Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Admin Will
    That's brilliant, I wish I had what it takes to be a writer. So do we get to read any extracts?
    Only if it gets published!

Elena

Default The parody

Cizia Zyke - The parody [and others of his books]
    Disquieting, exciting, coarse. Magnificent!

Running on empty

i'm reading 'the rik mayall, bigger than hitler, better than christ' its a bit irreverent... i was given this book, a small axe, and a bottle of vodka for my birthday last week!

Steve W

Thought I'd revive this thread. I am currently reading this thread HAHAHA

Seriously though, my current reading book is Deception Point by Dan Brown

cathidaw

[I'm halfway through 'Jeremy Paxman on Royalty'
    Not to be missed, even if you can't stand the man!
    Last year Iread most of George Orwell's stuff leaving out Animal Farm which I did not like

Chatterbox

I've read a bit of bill brysons stuff, it's interesting, Quite dry and sarcastic I think. Notes from a smal country I think I've got.
    I've been reading railway ghost stories, it's a book I've read before I just looked on the book shelf and thought I'd re read it.
    Reading a book about last of the summer wine, the finest vintage. I didn't realise it had been running so long. It's got a lot of intersting info.
    Also Murder mystery on the Great Western Railway. It's true and bizarre events that paint the railway in a chilling and sinister light. Drawing upon contemporary court records and newspaper accounts of the day the author recounts compelling stories of murder, death and mystery surrounding those who built, worked and travelled on the GWR. It's very good.
    Never read any George Orwell, probably because all I ever hear people go on about is animal farm and if people go on and on about a book I rarely bother with the book or author.
    Last edited by Madhatter; 08-02-2007 at 01:04 AM.
    Madhatter

cathidaw

Thumbs down

[on the GWR. It's very good.
    Never read any George Orwell, probably because all I ever hear people go on about is animal farm and if people go on and on about a book I rarely bother with the book or author.[/QUOTE]

What--never read Orwell !! (well ,I only did last year)
    Animal Farm -- a no no for me.

Many people talk of 'Big brother ' - from '1984' - who have never read it --the expression has become part of our language---
    I believe everyone who is at all interested in todays politics should read it and they will see where this country is heading . Fortunately Tony won't be here too much longer.
    Let us hope that he doesn't ban us all (with yet another law) from reading this book before he goes so we that may take it as a warning.

You are right too- when people go on and on about a book it puts me off.
    I never knowingly.read the Richard and Judy recommendations
    Or the bookshop 'top 10'. Did you know that the book companies pay thousands of pounds - weekly- for WH Smith and all of the other big bookshop chains to put them on this list.

cathidaw

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    Just thought I'd get the obligatory Tolkien & Harry Potter mentions out of the way......

I got Treasure Island for Christmas, which is a damn fine book. Wuthering Heights is good too, along with Dracula & Frankenstein.

Never got into Dickens, though. I tried reading The Pickwick Papers a few years ago; I found school textbooks more interesting.
    I like Dickens but yawned through Pickwick at school
    Try his "The Uncommercial Traveller" true story.

I collect books and have just bought -from one of the antiquarian bookshops in Warwick--(the one at the bottom of the hill) 'A Child's History of England.
    by Charles Dickens- never heard of it before. A beautiful little Victorian book starting 50 years before Christ and ending in 1837.
    Quite a find.
    Shut me up Ican go on forever

cathidaw

Quote Originally Posted by Olive View Post

I read one or two books a week sometimes more--mostly in bed . If Itake my bedtime book downstairs, it calls to me all day and Iget no work done.

But-I looked at a booklist last week which had 250 books on it. They were asking me to tick off which I had read over the past 12 months.
    The only one I could find to tick was 'The Beano' which I read with my 5 years old
    Granddaughter
    What have I been reading then/.