Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

cathidaw

I have nearly read the most trashy book. I had to read it to see if it got better. It didn't
    The book called 'Oh Carol' by Carol McGiffen, her life and loves.
    Why would anyone want to flag up their immoral life, unless it is for fame.
    She appears quite normal on Loose Women
    I dont like her any more.

Pillar of the Community

Oh Dear- Cathidaw- Don't you think these people actually never ever type anything? I think they employ a person to do it for them and all they do is give them a tape with a mish mash of their lives and stories to build a book around purely for sales purposes. They are in the public eye so they know if they get it promoted it will get published only from the high profile promoted through TV programmes like that and thus it will sell. If it is a rubbish read, then no problem because the book was bought, so its a done deal; they get the money. C***py isn't it? I liked her too and she does spout some very valid comments but at times and more recently she seems to be flagging in her youthful esteem.

cathidaw

I'm glad I only paid 10p for it.

rebbonk

Just finished Sterling (Robert Cameron)

Yet another book that I won!

Ex-SAS member goes freelance, wiping out undesirables that our spineless government refuse to tackle. An interesting read that I suspect gives quite a lot away of how things work "behind" the scenes.

cathidaw

I finished 'Oh Carol' and changed my previous opinion of her by the end of the book..
    She is honest and I like that.
    I have only just finished Arnold Bennett's, "Anna of the five towns" published 1902.. charmingly old fashioned writing.

I would recommend this book as required reading for young girls of today. To realise how a woman's situation in life has changed in the last 100 years...How much we have fought to be equal.

rebbonk

Almost finished Alfie (Bill Naughton). Great read, if you enjoyed the film you'll likely enjoy the book. Likely to appeal more to men than women though.

Yet another competition win, along with Get Carter.

rebbonk

I’ve been a bit tardy of late updating the stuff I’ve been reading. So, here we go (all kindle editions and free at the time of download)…

Keyword comedy comedy comedy (a comedy) (Trevor Mcinsley) One man’s adventures winding up companies by email. Rather juvenile and tedious.

Tightwad (Peter Michael) How mean can people be? Very if you believe the few anecdotes in this book.

Brain (Dermot Davis) A brilliant read, though it started to lose credibility toward the end. A man writes a book as a parody, only to find people taking it seriously.

The Debt (Simon Kernick) A wonderful short story of the underworld written specifically for BMW.

Peterman (Peggie Benton) The exploits of a safe cracker. Fascinating read and much is allegedly true. Apparently ghost written, but still good.

The Fixer (Boyd Craven III) A guy suffering cancer takes on the role of equaliser. Interesting if short read.

Deaths Disciple (James Whitworth) Superb read rather in the vein of Morse and Lewis. I’d cracked who was guilty before the end, but hadn’t caught on as to why, though the clues were there. Well set in the Whitby area with references and suggestions of a Dracula connection.

Show No Mercy (Julie Morrigan) A collection of 13 short stories exploring the darker side of humanity. Bit mixed, a couple of the stories were quite good.

Swing (Zachary Leeman) A bored wife wants to start ‘swinging’. Her husband doesn’t like the idea but goes along with it. What can possibly go wrong? Short, but sweet.

rebbonk

Just finished Autobiography of a Thief (Bruce Reynolds)

I actually bought this one!

A very good read and something that gives you an insight of the man who led the gang on the Great Train Robbery. I'm not sure about many things (mainly his character and motives) in this book but did learn a lot. All in all, a well written read that exposes some of the seamier side of life.

rebbonk

A few more recent books that I’ve read, all Kindle editions, and all at the right price. (£0.00)

Red Mist (David Tomlinson) Great gritty read about revenge. Nice twist at the end.

Contrail (Malcolm Havard) A tale of intrigue and treachery based around the development of the De Havilland Comet. Another good, worthy read.

Please Laugh At My Funeral (Kole McRae) Twisted and dark tale about a guy who announces that in 30 days time he is going to kill himself.

10 Frugal Living Tips
    (Shabbir Hazari) If you don’t already know these then you deserve all you’ll get.

Ratio Analysis Fundamentals (Axel Tracy) Ought be mandatory pre reading before taking any business course.

The Insane Man’s Handbook (Doo Doo Brown) Drugs and writing don’t mix well, and I guess it shows here.

The Revenge Guy (Revenge Guy) Rubbish copy straight from the internet pages of the same name.

A Murder of No Account (Julia Underwood) Superb war time murder mystery.

Exposing The Ponzi Masters (James L Paris) An investigation into religion ripping people off. This was a bit of an eye-opener for me.

Charisma 10 Leadership Lessons From Ray Kroc’s Life (Maximilian Leader) McDonalds founder knows something and shares it. Quite an interesting little book.

A Dog’s Tail (Val Baker Addicott) The life of a dog narrated by Leo the Labrador. Delightfulyl light read that almost moved me to tears at the end.

I'm flicking through a book on the buildings of Warwickshire (which includes Birmingham), which I found in a 2nd hand bookshop a while ago. It's fairly out of date - published in 1961! - and not the most gripping of reads, but has a couple of interesting facts in it.

rebbonk

Just finished Game (Anders De La Motte)

A review copy and it was brilliant! Hooked me from start to finish. A very plausible "reality game" where nobody is quite what they appear. Well worth a read.

I've read a lot of Kindle freebies lately, some good, some not so...

Tesc-Mo (Martin Pond) A guy tries to last a month without using a supermarket. He fails!

Waiting to Die and Lakeside Murders (Christopher Kenworthy) Murder and mayhem in the lake district. Both decent reads, but littered with typos!

Ratcatcher (Tim Stevens) A very taught and quite plausible thriller

Christmas Ghost Stories (Stewart King) A couple of very nasty ones in here.

Phoenix Rising (Declan Connor) The UK is bankrupt and being run by a corrupt EU. Only a short story, but it left me baffled.

Prospero's Mirror (A.N. Donaldson) A nasty story in the name (and style) of M.R. James. This one plays with your mind!

Road Kills (Kit Moore Rob North) A far fetched thriller about corruption throughout the USA. Apparently, the Mafia have control of almost everything.

Five in Six (Christian Galaca) Russian roulette short story. Do you feel lucky?

Unlikely Graves (Rodney Hobson) Set around Lincolnshire, murder, revenge and dark secrets. Not a bad read

Working my way through a bit of HP Lovecraft at the minute; definitely worth reading: http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/...s/ccweird.aspx

rebbonk

Enough rope - Oliver Tidy. Rather an unpleasant tale but has me hooked. Free for kindle at the mo'!

Also reading HMS Wasp - Peter Holloway. Up to now, it reminds me of my formative years after school. Given free to me on condition I write a review.

cathidaw

I am back now reading Nevill Shute after many years, and love them just as much.
    When I was confined to my house-not able to drive for 6 months - I read 15 of John Grisham's books.
    Have just finished J B Priestly's 'English Journey' and intend to read more of his after my operation.
    Have just bought his 'Travelling Companions'.
    I get out of print books from Abe Books-quite cheaply. They are looking for Das Kapital and Mein Kampf for me-cheap versions- to get my teeth into whilst I'm off. .
    Any other recommendations gratefully received.I like historical stuff.Irish Famine, Scottish Clearances, (I've read those) and such.
    Have just read one of James Pattersons books and quite liked it.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 30-12-2014 at 02:27 PM. Reason: spelling

cathidaw

Just finished the most fantastic book, odd and unusual too.
    Read it!!.
    The Restraint of Beasts' by Magnus Mills.

rebbonk

Scapegoat - Ryan Clifford

A very twisted book about state sponsored killing amongst other things.

I downloaded the kindle version (it was free) and found it surprisingly good. However, it contains plenty of bad language and some very questionable sexual themes. Certainly only for the broad minded.