Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

SheltonBenjamin2011

“His Dark Materials” Trilogy is one of the greatest Sci-Fi and fantasy novels I am reading these days. I give it two thumbs up!

HarisJulie

I’m currently reading a novel call ‘The Ghost at the Table’ by Suzanne Berne it’s a horror book so I’m really interested of reading it.

Pillar of the Community

NHS stuff I'm afraid- very dull. it is Actually from the Department of Health- ' National Quality Requirements' ( for Out of Hours Providers- all GP's, Hospitals etc ) They are all supposed to be providing these. Are yours?
    Last edited by Gladys; 05-09-2011 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Clarification

rebbonk

Devil to Pay - Ross Kemp.

I won this and was a little doubtful about it. However, I was quite surprised, it's a decent read.

Mari

Biography of the late, lovable Scottish Comedian, Rikki Fulton.

Love him. Here is one of his comedy sketches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-SLLOqp1zo
    Last edited by Mari; 11-02-2012 at 05:19 AM.

cathidaw

American Notes , and
    Pictures of Italy
    both by Charles Dickens
    I've had these books for years
    Personal views of America in 1842 and Italy and France in 1848
    Eye openers , both.

rebbonk

Just finished Confessions of a Corporate Slut (Jacqueline Gum). Another book I'd won. Quite an interesting story of corporate lifestyle, but from a woman's point of view. I found parts of the story very true to life, even from a male perspective.

Just started A Shed of One's Own (Marcus Berkmann). This is all about mid-life and what it might hold for us. So far, remarkably true!

cathidaw

I'm halfway through 'Dickens' by Hesketh Pearson
    Dickens life story. He was quite a character himself, excitable, moody, impetuous, generous sometimes,, loved pretty women, was a dandy too. I ve just read an account of a party he went to -'dressed in all maroon with his ringlets bobbing beneath the chandeliers'.
    I have had this book a paperback, for ever . Now I have to be careful as the pages are so brittle and brown. every one I turn I have to sellotape up. Its out of print now.I have a good collection of assorted old Dickens books. Never read before--bought for the lovely covers . What I have been missing !.
    I'm going on again.............
    Rebbonk I'm going to try 'A Shed of my own' next.
    Have you got your own shed.? nothing like it when it's pouring down, the sound of the rain on the roof and you cozy inside.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 02-05-2012 at 02:57 PM.

rebbonk

Just started An American Spy (Olen Steinhauer). Yet another competition win! I'm finding this a little difficult to get into, mainly because there are a lot of Chinese names involved.

rebbonk

Now about halfway through The Unlikely Spy (Paul Henderson). A book I'd forgotten about, until the good lady decided to clear my study out!

Coventry lad who made it to the top of Matrix Churchill, whilst gathering intelligence for the UK secret services. Frankly, he doesn't come across as the nicest of people and seems to have something to prove. However, I don't believe he deserved being stitched up by the British "establishment".

rebbonk

Just finished In The Kingdom Of Men (Kim Barnes). Another competition win.

The story of life as an ex-pat wife in the gulf states. Not what I expected at all, and a surprisingly enjoyable read. Having spent time in the Middle East, I can definitely say that the plot is not as far fetched as it might at first seem. Definitely not a romance!

cathidaw

I have finished -at 2am today-Blackberry Wine by Joanne Harris.
    A couldn't put downer--hence the matchsticks to keep my eyes open.
    The same person who wrote 'Chocolat'

rebbonk

Narrow Dog to Carcassonne (Terry Darlington) Story (covered via the BBC I think) of a narrow boat "sailing" across the channel into France. The antics of Jim the whippet and his liking for pork scratchings!

Good, but difficult read due to speech not being clearly identified. - Either that or I'm getting old and fussy!

Just learned that the boat was destroyed by fire at its home mooring just outside Stone in 2009.

cathidaw

I read that too I thought it so funny. Alright when i got used to his lack of punctuation at times. and read another of his-cant remember what it was called.
    Another was about a man who travelled from London to the source of the Thames on the last of the old barges.with a dog who hated water.
    Must find the title.
    'Blackberry Wine ' by Rosie Thomas' The person who wrote 'Chocolat'
    and Moonlight and ashes by Rosie Goodwin--set in Coventry.
    Recommended..........'Pompeii' by Robert Harris.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 17-07-2012 at 05:57 PM.

Joyrider

Just started with “The map of time” by Felix J. Palma.

rebbonk

About halfway through In The Garden Of Beasts (Erik Larsen). About the US ambassador to Germany in the 30's. Allegedly compiled from diaries and private papers, it makes interesting reading. More-so when I can see similarities with the UK today.

The book was another competition win, not the sort of book I'd normally buy, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it.