Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Leofric, how is the novel writing coming along?
    Cool

cathidaw

Default what 'I' am reading

Hallo OLIVE .I LIKE TO KNOW WHAT PEOPLE READ TOO.
    I joined a book reading club the other week.
    My first book is 'Stranger on a Train' which Icould not put down subtitled: Daydreaming and smoking Around America with interruptions'
    Has anyone read any of Sandi Toxvig's books?
    I am now on my third book by her called 'Flying under Bridges' funny and sad. but quick moving.
    The others were;'Whistling for the Elephants' and 'Gladys Reunited'
    Strange titles but excellent unusual reading.
    I have been reading Alan Bennet's autobiography, and for the first time in my life I dozed off reading a book.

akingston00

Cool i am reading

im reading the amber spyglas and it is sooooo ANOYING it dose not make sense!! me plz

Steve W

I'm currently reading XCross by James Patterson

akingston00

Default im now reading....

i just fineshed the amber spyglass (i only had 3 sentances left!!) im now reading harry potter 6

cathidaw

Yesterday I finished 'Toast' by Nigel Slater and have now started 'White Teeth' by Zadie Smith which looks as if it will be good.

How can anyone live in a house without reading matter? Ihave a few acquaintences who consider books 'clutter' and throw out newspapers the same day-read or not.
    Ifind one of the compensations of living alone is that one can read at the meal table.

cathidaw

[as I mentioned earlier ,Iam reading' white Teeth ' by Zadie Smith. Now -I am enjoying it immensly- it rambles on and on and is quite funny in parts and the writing is superb but without looking back I cannot for the life of me remember how it started-or even what it is all about.
    perhaps it will all fall into place when I have finished it.

I'm making my way through a list of 'i really should have read this by now' books.

Currently on 'Pet Semetary' by Stephen King...

cathidaw

Now you have got me started on books---
    I like to read books on social history although I do read other stuff. I belong to a reading group, so I obviously read books I would not usually pick up.
    I dont read all of the prescribed books, usually because I'm not interested .The last one was quite fun---Goodbye Jimmy Choo, by Annie Sanders.
    Last year I read ' The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist' by Robert Tressell which Ihad promised myself to read years ago. Don't know why I left it so long---I just think -I could have died and missed it, and what a waste that would have been!!
    Right now Iam reading ,Arthur and George' by Julian Barnes--the Arthur being Conan Doyle, which I didn't know until I was partway through. very addictive.
    I have just aquired 'The Blackest Streets' the life and death of an Victorian slum. True story about a notorious London area-the old Nichol.
    I am savouring reading a book I found in my loft (I collect antique books)'The Plague Years' by Daniel Defoe. a beautiful old book.but dont know when Iwill get around to it.
    Also I am reading again 'The Magic Wishing Chair' to my granddaughter and we are both loving it. Fabulous Enid Blyton.

I
    Last edited by cathidaw; 25-10-2008 at 04:39 PM.

cathidaw

I really enjoyed Arthur and George altho' I skip read some of it when it was getting a bit long winded. by the way, I have seen quite a few in charity shops lately.
    I am now reading 'Why dont you fly?, ? by Chris Smith.
    He rode his bicycle from Bewdley to Beijing in 16 months.
    He gave a talk/ photographic lecture to the Mercia group of Photographers the other week. He brought his trusty battered bike with him.
    So good was the lecture that I bought his book from him and am now about a third through it-one of those books you dont want to end.
    My bookreader group gave us Susan Hill's 'Woman in Black'.
    It was ok, very well written-the prose a bit like H.G.Wells. but not my cuppa.

cathidaw

Default cassandra???

Does anyone remember 'Cassandra' who wrote for various newspapers.
    Ihave recently bought one of his books -published in the 60s.
    How did I ever miss out on this for all these years.![
    It is social history and some articles are so funny. I would like to upload some of the funnier ones on to these pages-not too many of course.
    How do Ido this?

I'm currently reading "Ice Station" by Matthew Reilly.

Set in an ice station in Antarctica. A group of scientists makea discovery, something you wouldn't expect to find buried in a layer of ice 400 million years old.
    Cool

cathidaw

Anyone interested in reading should definitely visit Astley Book Farm which is not too far away from where Ilive.
    They also have a 'Ten Bob Barn' where everything is -of course- 50p
    There is a lot of junk but I have picked up some really good stuff to read from there.
    It is in North Warwickshire out in the sticks and there is a coffee machine and comfy sofas--and it is warm.

jaz08

i haven't read til now The Alchemist of Paolo Coehlo, so that's what I'm reading. It's fantastic and full of inspirations to follow your dreams.

cathidaw

Iam now reading 'England-England' by Julian Barnes
    A very strange book but compulsive even though I have to skip the long winded bits.

cathidaw

Default books not to read!!!

Well now -I take back what I said about 'England England' by Julian Barnes.
    Please could we have a section on 'books not to read'-or 'wasted time books'
    I so struggled with its long windedness because the idea seemed good. It fizzled out in the end.
    I felt quite put out.!!!