Thread: Which printer to buy for photos?

Default Which printer to buy for photos?

Can anyone advise me which reasonably priced printer is best to print my digital photos.

I have an Epson cz3200 at the present time but always having paper loading problems and so I want to replace it.

Administrator

On the Gadget Show a while back they reckoned the Epson R800 was the best out there http://gadgetshow.five.tv/jsp/5gsmai...1&featureid=23
    I've not tried one myself so couldn't comment.
    --==Forum Admin Will==--
    Your Friendly Forum Admin. - Contact me.

I have an Epson Stylus Photo 900 and I find it excellent
    M4gg1c

A tip for buying printers. Go to the ink cartdrige stand and see which inks are sold in seperate colours and how much ink each cartridge holds. Choose the best type/manufacturer for value for money, then look at the back of the pack and see what printer it fits.

.....saves you a bloody fortune

cathidaw

Default cathidaw

I use a Canon pixma 1000
    I got it from PC World a place I dont use very often as Ifind the sales men ---usually men --there, on another planet to me.

Iwas recommended by a young temp there last year to buy this one a:because it was a good brand , and :b, because the cartridges are cheaper . They are smaller but work out cheaper by volume
    Also the printer is only around £58.00.
    It is easy to use , with 2 paper trays and the paper does not have to bend right around like my HP3650, which jammed if the paper was thick.
    I belong to a photgraphic group so my printer has to be good.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 30-01-2007 at 02:40 AM. Reason: added more

Chatterbox

I find pc world and any pc shop staff talk cr p to try to get you to buy the stuff that they stock. It's rare to get anyone that knows what they are talking about nowdays. Jessops is the same, all temps that know nothing about what they sell. Long gone are the days of going in, picking up a camera and jessops sales staff knowing everything there is to know about it. Coventry is very lucky though (if he's still there) as the jessops shop in the precinct near the bull ring is one very knowledgable and knows his stuff on both film and digital cameras, slr cameras, and accesories.
    Madhatter

cathidaw

Thumbs up cathidaw

[The young men in Jessops Coventry I have found to be reasonably knowledgeable and helpful. I usually go with a bit of info I've read up in magazines and a few notes (written ) if it's a mega buy so that I don't sound too dumb. I also ask for a discount . Sometimes I get one but usually I end up with photo-paper in lieu;, last time it was a card reader. I'm not that dumb.
    I used to love Dixons when they sold cameras. Then, I was the only one who knew anything about what they were selling.and felt like an expert
    Where on earth did they get their assistants from.
    I returned a faulty camera to them once, and they put it straight back on the shelf.
    When I mentioned it to him ,he said he would sor' i' la'er

we called it the joke shop.

Chatterbox

Well, funny you should say that because we were saying jessops is the new dixons of photography.
    I went in the jessops near cross cheaping and they ignored me despite me spending 10 minutes looking at a couple of 600 quid SLR's. Unbelievable. The good one is Hertford street.

You'd be suprised just how often returned stock ends up being put back in to stock regardless. I've even been sent the same pc back as returned to preston based cpc-farnell,after leaving it 2 months before re-ordering. Exactly the same faults, they'd just reset windows. As it happens it's sat here under the desk. cpc wrote it off after I threatened legal action against them because i was sick of them threatening me when it was their fault I hadn't paid. All I wanted was a working pc. I should get it looked at, wouldn't be a bad pc if it worked.
    Madhatter

Sadly, so it is with today's world. Gone are the days when you could speak to staff in a retail store confident that they had good product knowledge. We have become a throwaway society. If it doesn't work, throw it away, buy a new one, hence the person in the store doesn't need to know much beyond getting you to buy a product and selling it to you. Sure, it keeps people in jobs in the manufacturing arena but the tradeoff is the mountain of junk that no one wants anymore. Try buying a part for something. The price of the part is out of proportion to the cost of the product in the first place.

When I only had the Acorn - before the RISC OS - I found it really necessary to have a reasonable knowledge of my computer and what I needed. My Acorn only had 4 megs of RAM and I wanted a laser printer. This meant that I needed a printer that had it's own memory. After doing the research online I decided upon an Oki. I went to the local store and the fun began. I ordered an Oki laser printer. The bloke behind the counter dug a hole for himself asking "What sort of PC do you have?" Suppressing a laugh and thinking oOo.. Here we go again ...oOO I said, "Actually, it is an Acorn A4000." He responded with "What's that?" I responded with "It's a computer from the Acorn range." I then went on to explain why I needed such a printer, though for the life of me, I don't know where his brain was, here was I trying to buy a rather expensive printer and he wanted to argue about the operating system. Finally he placed the order. When it arrived he phoned and I asked if I could pop down with the Acorn and download the Printer Definition Files via the PC they have online for customer use. Puzzled, he agreed. The Acorn is small, you can tuck it under your arm, so I toddled down and connected the Acorn to their monitor and used my own keyboard and mouse. I told him that what I would like to do was download the file onto a floppy disk and transfer to the Acorn. He spluttered "But that will never work, it is a different operating system." I told him it most definitely would and downloaded the file to the floppy. Put it into the acorn changed the file type to something Acorn could read, installed and much to his amazement all was well. I asked him to give me a wee demo on how the printer worked from his perspective. He did so, and I was able to print with the Acorn on both paper and card, which is what I wanted in the first place. After that we got along just fine but it was hard work to that point. Thankfully he was there a along time and I sent other Acorn users along to the store.

At the end of the day, when you use a non standard operating system you don't expect the store staff to be all knowledgeable but a good understanding of the products they sell goes a long way.
    Cool

Unregistered

Thumbs up Samsung CLP 610ND

Just bought a colour laser form these guys
    Colour & Mono Printers Multifunctionals Laser Printer Toner

got the samsung clp 610nd. its a desktop machine and is printing my photos out great so far. uses really big toner cartridges too so i'm thinking its going to run at a really low cost. would def recomend it.

cathidaw

Iwent to Jessops in Banbury last week to buy a Sigma 70-300mm lens for my Canon. The young chap really hadn't a clue although he spoke a lot of useless babble about it-which sounded good if you knew nothing about the lens. Fortunately I'd read up on it and knew what I wanted.
    Iasked for a discount and he smirked, "no sorry we are cheaper anyway."
    I said I could get 10.00 off on line. He went out back to ask his manager who said Icould have the 9.00 off---it was 109.00. Isaid thanks and off he went, only to come back saying the one in the cabinet was the only one they had.

Isaid I'd have it if he gave me more off. He smirked again and said "oo no Idont think so" I said ask the boss . so he did . Igot it for £80.00

hee-hee.

My photos printers a Canon Pixma Pro 9500 Mk II a snip at £600!
    www.djsupportphotography.com Free Photography Services

Oooh... Hello DJ!!
    Cool