Thread: Extortionate prices at Bedworth Civic Hall.

cathidaw

Default Extortionate prices at Bedworth Civic Hall.

This hall was built for the people of Bedworth -to be used by them as a meeting place for various organisations, or rooms could be rented for individuals-weddings etc. at reasonable cost.
    At first it was well used. Then price for rental started to rise and gradually organisations had to move. Bedworth Choral Society were the first to go,, then the arts society, Camera club,Youth club and many others and finally the Bedworth Show Society has gone. Which leaves a very salubrious building which no-one can afford to use. This building was built to be a multipurpose place -not just a theatre. We used to have wrestling, with all the big names, weekly music halls, dances,craft shows , art exhibitions etc etc. Now -nothing of interest. A 4 or 5 month expensive refurbishment made an improvement to foyer and facade. hmmmmm
    OK -Ken Dodd at Christmas , and a few big name shows occasionally, but most days this place has nothing going on except the cafe and bar-bistro which closes at 3pm. What a waste. It should be in public use all of the time, with proper art exhibitions and suchlike.
    If they have one now it is tucked away upstairs in a long corridor and no-one knows that they are allowed up there. This place would pay for itself if the costs were reasonable.
    We are proud of this building , but I think the management are too proud of it- the plaudits from other towns have gone to their heads and they are trying to keep it select, by keeping out the proles.
    What makes me laugh (very hollow) and why my rant- is that the cost are now being reviewed . Reason.....the Lord Mayor is holding his annual ball there as usual . but he has been asked to PAY. Shock , horror!!
    Normally he gets it free so of course the poor chap's objecting. And now they are listening! Not to the public who have protested for but to the MAYOR.
    Now- once, I was in the know (touching the side of my nose here) and knew that his lordship not only had his shindig free but also 30 or so free tickets for friends and aquaintances. And in those days £30 a throw was a lot of freebee's
    And this is a charity 'do.'
    Last edited by cathidaw; 16-06-2008 at 11:39 PM. Reason: spellchecking