Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warwicks own 'Time Team'?

Pillar of the Community

Default Gladys

I have looked at Chichester's Archeology stuff on the Council's website. There are many medieval finds but the Carpark is hiding a Roman Bathhouse. They are saying that Chichester was the only walled Roman settlement in Sussex and is going to boast one of the largest hoards of archeology finds in the country. The new museum will be finished approx 2010. Visitors can see the progress of the various digs now. The carpark will be partly opened eventually but this Bathouse area will be part of the visitor attraction. I hope Warwick yields much. It ought to with its history. You all ought to highlight to your Council that Chi unearthed this Roman find in the 1970s, thought it better to cover it up and now have rethought and rediscovered it is a potential goldmine. There is already the Roman Palace at Fishbourne which is literally 1-2 miles outside of Chi on the way to Portsmouth. Does anyone know it?

Unregistered

All sounds very interesting Gladys, thanks for that.

The site in Warwick is where the original town wall ran and the medieval layer is completely undisturbed, despite claims by some the area has already been dug. It has the potential of finding many interesting artifacts, as you say our town does have its history, there have certainly been Saxon finds in the town before.

Unfortunately there are those who couldn't care less about the towns history who are putting pressure on for the work to be completed more quickly which is a great shame. As in the case you mention I suspect it could all be put on hold again. I'm sure there won't be a Roman bath house under there, but there have been a number of structures on the site in the past.

As always I'll keep everyone posted.

thedelboy

Default warwicks own time team

Hi just reading through this thread and am really interested,I used to live in Montague rd as a child,and I remember at the back of the market place (I think it was the Globe pub hotel on the corner at the top of the hill) any way the council in their altimate wisdom blocked up the old cells from the original prison but not before my school chum and myself were able to get in and look around it,also Priory park in the "dip" there used to be a tunnel that ran to Warwick castle and to the site where the police station now stands !! Warwick in the mid seventies lost a Great oppertunity to show these historical sites

Pillar of the Community

Default Gladys

Quote Originally Posted by thedelboy View Post
    Hi just reading through this thread and am really interested,I used to live in Montague rd as a child,and I remember at the back of the market place (I think it was the Globe pub hotel on the corner at the top of the hill) any way the council in their altimate wisdom blocked up the old cells from the original prison but not before my school chum and myself were able to get in and look around it,also Priory park in the "dip" there used to be a tunnel that ran to Warwick castle and to the site where the police station now stands !! Warwick in the mid seventies lost a Great oppertunity to show these historical sites
    How fascinating is that- you were so lucky to have had the opportunity to look at the old prison. That would be where they would have housed poor wrteched people before they were taken to the gallows. Gruesome but true. From what you say, it must all still be there. It would be a fantastic tourist attraction. Can you imagine what the american visitors would think- 'awesome' or something like that. (No offense meant to any American members etc) Anyway, as one who went to school in Wells,Somerset, I'm drawn to historical stuff especially medieval stuff. You should try to urge like minded souls to press the Council to leave all alone if they can't be constructive about it. Then wait until times change and The Council houses People who appreciate these things.This seems to be what has happened in Chi. They covered the stuff up and waited until now. ps, Also just remembered that one of my long dead Uncles, lived in Arundel with one of his wives. (one at a time) They had a tunnel that went from thier cellar to the Castle. There must be lots like it around the country.
    Last edited by Gladys; 11-07-2008 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Had another memory about historical stuff

Unregistered

Fantastic news, the dig has uncovered 5000 year old artefacts.

Information can be found at this link:

Warwick bus station works uncover archaeology : Warwickshire News - Warwickshire Web

Basically they have unearthed some 'worked flints' and decorated pottery from Neolithic pits, as well as a street dating from the 1600's and a number of other items through out the towns history.

It is such a shame to read in the same information that work on the bus station due to take its place will be finishing ahead of schedule. I can only assume this is due to pressure from certain groups in the town who have already claimed the dig was a waste of time! On a personal note I would like to see them acknowledge their mistake in light of the finds as publically as they objected to it taking place, but I doubt this will happen.

I find it interesting that the local newspaper has a story this week claiming tourism in the town is down 18% and the reason most are voting for in the papers online poll is that the town is 'too boring'! Perhaps this is the answer to that problem? A visitor centre with information about the town, artefacts found on site and key areas of the dig preserved under cover? Interactive mulitmedia could be used to really bring the towns history to life?

Over to you folks, what are your thoughts on this?

cathidaw

I like the sound of 'Warwick Town'- 'Old Town of Warwick'--'Warwick Old Town' these sound much more romantic. 'City'of Warwick does not lend itself to the place. It's not very big either, Idon't suppose the people who have businesses in the centre or who live there will agree about the 'romance ' bit, but that is how I have always seen it in spite of the Council's attempts to change and modernise it. I love the way one can park in the main street for a time too. I often think that unrestricted parking would be a good idea at weekends in this type of town. I'm sure the tourists would come in droves and boost the trade.-especially if it was advertised as such . Too many restrictions= ruination of trade and tourism.
    Iforgot to mention:
    I live in the clouds.

Von Roden

Warwick itself does not promote the attractions enough!! myself I love going home to Warwick (old friens and family the Castle run by Madame tuesauds) there is so much to see in Warwick it is unbelievable How many People who live in Warwick even know about the "Saxon mill"? the "Haunted Abbey"? Hangmans Hill ? (actually hangmans hill is Leek wooton) the Caves by the Saxon Mill? lovely places as kids we would visit (Ok not officially as it was then private land) I would hate to see Warwick end up like Stratford up on Avon(It has lost all its character Looks more like a building site than anything else) I was in Chichester last week then Arundell (the black Rabbit Pub) really is a beautiful little place got slightly inebriated so had to catch the train home!!Lol my wife was not a happy woman (I did pay the train fare0

Where is the best place to park in Warwick to be able to wander and enjoy the town?
    Cool