Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideas

Running on empty

The market in Warwick is quite good, although not to big.. The greengrocers are better than the supermarkets, and cheaper too.. and the cheese mans good too... Not many markets have an 'Antique' stall too!
    Warwick is never (I hope!) going to be a buzzing modern trendy town as Leamington attempts, but that doesn't mean it has to stagnate. There have been a some great new shops opening in the last year or so. People who want Birmingham city centre are welcome to go there, and Warwick will never compete with that, we offer something different, and if you can't appreciate that, then you have missed the point.
    Complaining about the weather in the market place is interesting, but not our fault! Should there be a roof on the market place?
    Warwick isn't perfect, But it is quite good at being Warwick, and thats quite a good Unique Selling Point.

cathidaw

Coventry City Council is hell bent on cloning this City. Why on earth 'they' cannot understand that Coventry is Coventry and never will be Birmingham.The people are what they are--middleimarket-- and shopping is not bad now. A lot of the centre needs tidying up still, but mostly from the mess made by the 'improvers'
    We have a great new theatre --half finished, but it's getting there.
    Question though--------can we get there?
    [I[/I]The road system is shocking-roads blocked off or going nowhere.(And I wont mention that monstrous Ikea which caused a lot of it) .I hope they dont go ahead and demolish the best ring road ever. Imagine the chaos then.
    We dont need the gigantic posh shops of bigger towns -(there are plenty 18 miles up the M6) just decent ones, and easy ways to reach them, and if the the cheaper shops like Primart and pound shops 'lower the tone' ,why are they so busy and heaving most of the time. It must be what folk want as they have to travel by bus or car to get to them
    Most towns give people what they the planners want not what the people want
    I know we need to plan our towns, but the way it is done angers most people.
    I am a Coventry kid even tho' I live just north of it's border so I poke my nose into it's affairs frequently
    Miranda -don't go because you have been offended. Get around that ,you appear to have a lot to offer.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 29-01-2008 at 09:52 PM. Reason: cant spell today

Toad

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Toad don't assume I come from Leamington...'Assumption without proof is very silly' and in this respect unforgivable! I rest my case.

Cathidaw I share your opinion, the area round Woolies does let the town down a bit with cheap plywood sign propped up against walls and so forth. The library/multistory carpark/office block ruins a lovely view of St Mary's tower as well. The 1960's has a lot to answer for unfortunately! Oh and everytime I've been to Warwick Market the poor stall holders have been looking bored out of their brains, nothing seems to happen in the town at weekends. Thank you Cathi for a nice reply.

This is the last you will hear from me. I was considering registering and what a useful facility this could be, but looking at the other discussions on here and the snide remarks made, notably by two register users who seem to be totally lacking in humour (calm down Lex I don't mean you!) I would not wish my name to be associated with something that gives such a bad impression of Warwick! Any potential tourists reading this would avoid the place like the plague. Such a shame. Most forums would block users for personal attacks such as seem to be the norm here.

Miranda J Python, Kenilworth

PS, Can I make the final assumption that you'll want to have the last word so you think you've won. ;-)
    Miranda, I write this not because I want the last word, I hope it won't be, but because I assume I am one of the 'registered users.....totally lacking in humour'.
    I too am truly sorry you are leaving and I agree with the others that we need everyone to debate fully. We will disagree, fall out but ultimately talk, ideas and discussions are so much better than war!
    I perhaps am OTT sometimes. I have run a business in Warwick for 30 years; I have seen Warwick in the depths of despair and, now, on an upward track. I get very depressed when I see our local worthies making life as difficult as possible. And I get even more depressed when people run the place down. But I accept that it is horses for courses. Not everyone is going to like Warwick - or Kenilworth or Leamington. But we retailers have fought hard for what we have and I, for one, am very proud of what we have achieved - which perhaps makes me defensive - but, I hope, never offensive.
    I hope I have not offended you. You input is as vital as everyone elses and I really hope that the last word is yours and that you will reconsider and come back to debate some more.
    Best wishes.
    PS - as for the lack of humour, I was told off at work today for laughing too much. Perhaps I'm not very good at putting it into my writing - sorry.

Chatterbox

This is a discussion forum, we discuss, debate comment on, we won't agree or there would be non of those. This site is not a tourism site, I'm not sure why you think it is, but it isn't. It is an interesting point though because on the old atherstone site we used to have a forum attached just like this and many people complained that towns folks disagreements were putting tourists off. Now I've got a forum, which at the moment although it does contain events information, is still mainly for towns folk to chat. I do intend to add it back to a site though, I'm not sure which one yet, it may not be me that chooses. Perhaps you could suggest how do we set up a site with a forum attached so tourists can ask questions, and where locals can debate how to better the town without those locals putting off the tourists. ?
    It is logical to me that locals of each and every town will disagree and it doesn't reflect badly in my view, however to lots it obviously does.
    Madhatter

Pillar of the Community

Hi peeps, Sorry, but didn't know where else to post this question. I don't usually go to pubs/hotels etc on Sundays as I am usually at work. However, I'd like to know what everyone finds at their locals on a Sunday lunchtime? Do the landlords put roast tatoes, pickles/cheese, olives, peanuts etc out as routine? I remember from years back that this was the usual but is it now? I ask as my friend has taken over a hotel that is also used by many locals as thier local and the locals are demanding this of him although they don't always frequent the place but seem to expect it to be as they expect and it is a quiet time also.They are 'good' sorts who spend when they are in and use the place for family stays/dos etc. Any advice would be appreciated.