Hi guys.
So I thought I'd be a clever Tiff, ,and climb the family tree as it were.
During my family research, I was contacted through t'internet, by a cousin of a cousin of a grandfather etc. who was living in New Zealand. Through our knowledge, we were able to track my dad's mother and all her ancestors all the way back to early 18*@!

Her main family names were Fisher and Watts and they seemed to be based soundly around the Leamington Spa/ Shipton/Bilton areas. Very much a Warwickshire match - a lot of agricultural labourers as you may expect. Mission accomplished!

I was trying to trace my father's paternal line back.
The paternal line is easier because the surnames don't change - the maternal line is harder because they marry and change their names.

NOT!!!!!

My Dad was youngest-but-one of 10.
Sadly, Dad died suddenly over a year ago aged 66 - I so wanted to be able to tell him more.
Nobody knew where my g'father was born. They said he used to joke about coming from Battersea Dogs Home. Only clue I had. Somehow, I managed to trace my g'father's bc. & he was indeed born in the district of Battersea in Wandsworth, London.

His name was George Lawrence COMPTON, born 1898.
His mother registered the birth and her name was Lilian Compton (nee Benfield).
She listed his father as William Robert Compton who was a ''Musician (violin)''. It struck me as being an unusual profession. I do know he taught his older sons how to play.
I tried to find a marriage cert with no luck. So I eagerly awaited the release of the 1901 census - I'd find him then!

No. Nothing. Nada.

So I searched the 1901 through my grandfather George Lawrence Compton, who would only have been about 2 or 3

Success! If you can call it that.
Whole family of children there.
Except that now they were in Aston, Brum.
Not only that, but Lilian was now Elizabeth.
And a widow!
Her occupation was down as Proprietoress of a Fish Shop. So a fish and chippie owner - all the way back in 1901!

She also had a niece living there that census night, surname Compton, and a lodger who she married later on in 1901! Foul play?

So my gt g'father William Robert Compton & his violin died sometime between conceiving my g'father in 1897/98 & the 1901 census.
Awkward beggar! You put a body down for a couple of years and they go and disappear on you!

Not only can I not find his death cert or any cause of death, there doesn't seem to be a marriage cert and I can't even find a record of his birth!!! Complete mystery.
A kind soul or 2 did some look ups in the GRO for me for these but no joy. It's like he never existed.
My uncle and the 7 remaining aunts (all over 69) said that g'father either never knew, or never said, what had happened to his father.

Many apologies for the length of this guys. I'm sure your brains must now be as addled as mine.
This is just a post in the faint hope that someone might have a few ideas.
Wishing you all well in your searches.