Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Supermarkets

If the council are involved then something doesn't necessarily have to make sense for them to make something happen.
    Cool

Next Train's Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by cathidaw View Post
    I noticed last night that Tesco at Arena have greatly increased their range of 'foreign ' food -especially Polish,and are keeping the prices roughly the same -at the moment. Also a lot of Asian cookware and tableware-those pretty dishes once only available in the Indian shops now have a whole section there.
    Not only are Tesco building their monstrous stores everywhere, having wiped out most of the corner shops , it appears that they are now aiming to annihalate the many small shops opening up to serve the Eastern European immigrants now residing here.
    What happened to the Monopolies Commission-is it still in existance/. If so I cant see that they are doing much of a job.

As I have said before Tesco, is hoping to take over about a quarter of Bedworth town centre with there new store plan.
    Conservation area?- who cares! Town draft plan? Who cares again!.
    Our 7 year draft plan runs out soon so one can accurately surmise what may happen.
    Too many charity shops here and pound shops-the rents are too high for proper small shops, so I am supposing that the N B Council will welcome the revenue from Tesco if it happens and to hell with Bedworth and it's unique history (black as it was) They(the council) have been surprisingly quiet.
    As usual , a lot of lip service but little else.

Have you been in Coventry recently? The retail is terrible.

Thumbs up Local shopping

Quote Originally Posted by Leofric View Post
    Have you been in Coventry recently? The retail is terrible.
    Yes it is not the greatest in the world - seems to be so many tescos around and not much else really !!!

Now kwik save has all but closed on ball hill and somerfields on binley road is now knocked down has meant i have been wandering around quite a few of the local shops to find goods....may take longer but have found a greater variety of goods that i would not normally have tried and the prices are not always more expensive than tescos etc as perceived...ok so i still do an on line big tescos shop each month to stock up on big bulk but that is purely laziness as no need to really as amazing amount of goods available locally - plus you get to speak to people in your local area and exercise by walking and carrying goods home !!

local shopping with local businesses - win win me thinks!!

Next Train's Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by skydakini View Post
    Yes it is not the greatest in the world - seems to be so many tescos around and not much else really !!!

Now kwik save has all but closed on ball hill and somerfields on binley road is now knocked down has meant i have been wandering around quite a few of the local shops to find goods....may take longer but have found a greater variety of goods that i would not normally have tried and the prices are not always more expensive than tescos etc as perceived...ok so i still do an on line big tescos shop each month to stock up on big bulk but that is purely laziness as no need to really as amazing amount of goods available locally - plus you get to speak to people in your local area and exercise by walking and carrying goods home !!

local shopping with local businesses - win win me thinks!!
    I was talking more about the city centre. My local retail in Earlsdon is excellent. I'd never shop in Kwik Save or Somerfield if you paid me, horrible store. Good riddance!

The city centre is not very good for a city of its size... Seems to be too many bargain stores & not a lot else. We've started to go elsewhere.