Thread: Mallabone family who had connection to Jolly collier Inn

Default Mallabone family who had connection to Jolly collier Inn

Hi
    I am researching mums family tree & we are looking for information on Mallabone family who had connection to Jolly Collier Inn in College st Nuneaton . John Mallabone started Jolly Collier inn around 1820's and stayed in mallabone family until around 1930's .
    John Mallabone is my 4th g grandfather .so it would be great to find any old photos or family tree information on family

Thankyou

Kym

If you don't already have the info from the 1901 Census you will find the Mallabone family at the Jolly Collier. I just used the Search facility and typed in Jolly Colliers. You will find more by just typing in Mallabone. It's all on here:

http://www.nnwfhs.org.uk/1901_census...02900%203+.pdf
    Cool

Hmm... I suspect you have been down this path - the 1901 census.

Have you tried the Nuneaton Family History Society? I found some MALLABONEs under Members Interests:

Members Interest - M
    Cool

Hi Shiraza
    Yes did try that line of enquiry , acouple of people said they would send information/ photos , Peter from society and a Mallabone connection ,
    but did not hear back from them .
    yes i have family census up to & including 1901 .
    Thanks for your help
    Jebbo

chris short

Default Connections to the family mallabone

Hi

I have just read your requests for any connections to the Mallabone family and have some informatio which may be of some use to you.

In the book "Images of England - Nuneaton Vol II" by Peter Lee, the Mallabone family are pictured on Page 103. In addtion in the book "Nuneaton past and present" by John Burton page 100 it shows a picture of a young girl and mother standing oubtsdie the Jolly Collier pub. My connection to this ? My mother Dorothy Margaret Short (nee Spicer) unfortunatley passed away Chistmas eve 2008 in my home town of Exeter, Devon havng been born in Nuneaton and marrying my father Ronald Short of Exeter, Devon during he war. Whenever my mum looked at the book she always said that she had some connections with the Mallabones I think through her mum's first marriage, she gained the name Spicer through her dad's second marriage. In addition the girl pictured with her mother in the Jolly Colliers pub in College Street was her cousin. Although my mum inherited four brothers on her dad's second marriage and I have numrsous aunts and cousins from the Spicer's side living in Nuneaton, I too would love to know of her real connections with the Mallabones but sadly she is not here for me to pursue.

I don't know whether this infomation would be of any use to you, The next time I speak to my 85 year old father in Exeter, I am sure that he may be able to put some more light on the subject and I'm sure that I have an auntie who lives on Camp Hill who might also be able to answer some other questions.

Chris Short
    Nottingham

Chris, that's wonderful information for the person doing the Mallabone search. Information such as that gives 'colour' to family trees, but sadly, people do die and don't always impart those gems of details to the next generation.

I am sure that when they realize that the posting has been made they will respond accordingly. We could do with another lively family hunt like the one we had for Gladys.
    Cool

chris short

Default Further information

Hi

I have just spoken to my sister Carol who told me the following:

WILIAM BRAY MARRIED SARAH MALABONE 1875 WHO HAD A CHILD IN 1899 CALLED EDITH WHO MARRIED HENRY SPICER. EDITH AND HENRY HAD A CHILD
    CALL DOROTHY WHO WAS MY MOTHER.

Chris
    HI

Hi Chris
    Thankyou for answering my query re mallabone family
    I am using my pocket surfer at the moment all my info is on my main computer at home
    I will contact you again when I get home .
    John mallabone is my great x's grandfather he started the jolly collier inn in chilvers coton
    have alittle bit of info onhim .
    Jebbo

Quote Originally Posted by chris short View Post
    Hi

I have just read your requests for any connections to the Mallabone family and have some informatio which may be of some use to you.

In the book "Images of England - Nuneaton Vol II" by Peter Lee, the Mallabone family are pictured on Page 103. In addtion in the book "Nuneaton past and present" by John Burton page 100 it shows a picture of a young girl and mother standing oubtsdie the Jolly Collier pub. My connection to this ? My mother Dorothy Margaret Short (nee Spicer) unfortunatley passed away Chistmas eve 2008 in my home town of Exeter, Devon havng been born in Nuneaton and marrying my father Ronald Short of Exeter, Devon during he war. Whenever my mum looked at the book she always said that she had some connections with the Mallabones I think through her mum's first marriage, she gained the name Spicer through her dad's second marriage. In addition the girl pictured with her mother in the Jolly Colliers pub in College Street was her cousin. Although my mum inherited four brothers on her dad's second marriage and I have numrsous aunts and cousins from the Spicer's side living in Nuneaton, I too would love to know of her real connections with the Mallabones but sadly she is not here for me to pursue.

I don't know whether this infomation would be of any use to you, The next time I speak to my 85 year old father in Exeter, I am sure that he may be able to put some more light on the subject and I'm sure that I have an auntie who lives on Camp Hill who might also be able to answer some other questions.

Chris Short
    Nottingham

cooper

Default Barraclough/ Mallabone

Hi, I have Cresswell Barraclough bn 1837 Nuneaton, Warks. Cresswell mrd Ann Mallabone bn 1834-1877, Nuneaton, Warks. I know the Barraclough's had pubs in Nuneaton and a Samuel Barraclough had a pub in Chivers Cotton. Just wondering if Ann Mallabone was connected to chris's family? Regards Cooper

Hi Chris
    Had a look through my mallabone family tree
    there is a Sarah Mallabone b around 1851 her parents were
    William Mallabone and Ann moreton ( chilvers coton)
    this Sarahs brother was thomas Mallabone , thomas married Mary and one of thomas and marys children was Daisy b 1893 she was the last mallabone to run jolly collier ( around 1930's I think) ( daisy married name was Boon )

Jebbo

Quote Originally Posted by chris short View Post
    Hi

I have just spoken to my sister Carol who told me the following:

WILIAM BRAY MARRIED SARAH MALABONE 1875 WHO HAD A CHILD IN 1899 CALLED EDITH WHO MARRIED HENRY SPICER. EDITH AND HENRY HAD A CHILD
    CALL DOROTHY WHO WAS MY MOTHER.

Chris
    HI

Hi,my mums maiden name was Mallabone.I took her to visit the little girl in the Jolly colliers photograph,it was her cousin Kathleen who lived in Bulkington(warwickshire)in the early 2000'S but i believe she has passed away now.Kathleens mum was Daisy boone nee Mallabone whos father ran the colliers before her.Hope this is of help.
    Neil

Hi

I am sorry to you for not responding earlier. Regarding the Mallabones. A very interesting old Nuneaton and Chilvers Coton family. To summarise I believe they were descended from an ancient Norman family called Malbon and they came from France in 1069 to England and were very much based in Cheshire prior to 1500. (Around Nantwich where they were Barons Malbank, or Malbedeng and given manors in various parts by William the Conqueror). I suspect that the name Mallabone was the Warwickshire take on the name when ancient spellings were very fluid. My belief is that the first Malbon/Mallabone came down with Lord Stanley's army at the Battle of Bosworth. Finding themselves on the winning side they stayed round abouts the Watling Street (a similiar situation for other local families like Hankinson, Hextall, Croshaw, Kinder, etc.)

Over the next couple of centuries the Mallabones became thoroughly well established and formed large family groupings locally, then of course one branch took over the Jolly Colliers at Chilvers Coton. The photo you mentioned in my book came from Charles Mallabone. Unfortunately Charlie passed away a good few years ago. He was a lovely man full of local folklore. You may know the story as to how the Mallabones obtained the Jolly Colliers - John Mallabone(1793-1874) was a coal miner and a pugilist (bare knuckle fighter) and on 4.11.1823 went 15 rounds with Jupiter Payne for a prize of £50. In rough old Nuneaton bare knuckle fighting was big entertainment and virtually the whole town turned out to witness the fight. £50 was a large sum of money in 1823. With this prize he brought in some casks of ale, acquired a few extra stools and tables and set his front room up as a beer house. Whilst he laboured down the pit during the day his wife toiled behind the bar. How appropriate that he should call his ale house - The Jolly Colliers - because during the evening it was literally full of jolly colliers. Who maybe after an evening of carousing at the bar became a bit too jolly. Needless to say John Mallabone was well equipped to eject anyone who got out of hand.

Of course, over the years, the Jolly Colliers became a well equipped pub, and the Mallabones kept it for well over 100 years. Daisy Boon was the last Mallabone there. From memory her husband whose Christian name currently escapes me was killed in the First World War leaving Daisy to run the pub. But i might stand corrected on that detail. I think that the pub passed out of the hands of the Mallabones in the 1930's but do not have a date. Latterly it was owned by Northampton Breweries and their records of it are in Northampton Records Office. It was pulled down about 1970 for road works. I recall a visit there before closure but at that time the beer was not very good so never went back.

There are branches of the Mallabone descendency in the US and New Zealand that I know of, and there is probably more. There are diaries kept by the Mallabones back to 1718 in a private collection.

Peter Lee

cathidaw

Ther was a Mallabone family who kept a butchers stall on Bedworth market for many years. I know there was a very large extended family here -or maybe they did come from Nuneaton.
    I have a friend who, I believe is one of the distant relatives. I will get in touch with him when he comes back from holiday next week.