Thread: Leamington a good place to live?

MissSimi

Default Leamington a good place to live?

Hi everyone
    I'm hoping to get some good info and advice:
    I've been thinking of moving from london for quite some time and have recently found Leamington!

The town seems lovely, everyone we met were friendly and polite, there's lots of parks and the property looks good (although a bit expensive).

I am hoping to find out the do's and don'ts really..
    ..which are the good primary schools?
    Which areas are good for families?
    Is there anywhere I should avoid - very hard looking for a house without this info as there are always 'dodgy' parts of town.
    I've been reading previous threads there were a few issues in the old town - is this reflective, is it 'bad' ?

Thanks in advance for your help, look forward to talking to you all!

Administrator

Welcome MussSimi.

I don't know a lot about Leamington, having hardly visited since my college days. I do remember that the bottom of the Parade is dodgy at nights, though I've also heard not as much as it used to be.

I think there may be a few links to Leamington Primary schools in our links section, under education. Sorry I can't be more help then that, hopefully one of our Leamington based members can.
    --==Forum Admin Will==--
    Your Friendly Forum Admin. - Contact me.

Toad

Quote Originally Posted by MissSimi View Post
    Hi everyone
    I've been thinking of moving from london for quite some time and have recently found Leamington!

The town seems lovely, everyone we met were friendly and polite, there's lots of parks and the property looks good (although a bit expensive).

Is there anywhere I should avoid - very hard looking for a house without this info as there are always 'dodgy' parts of town.
    I've been reading previous threads there were a few issues in the old town - is this reflective, is it 'bad' ?

Try and move to Warwick - it's MUCH nicer!

charlie1073

Quote Originally Posted by MissSimi View Post
    Hi everyone

Hi Miss Simi

I have just moved to leamington, it seems ok, not unlike anywhere else but as i have only just been here a few days i'm still discovering things, I went to Kenilworth yesterday and that is very nice... i want to move their hehe.

I hope you find somewhere nice

locster

Hi,

Regarding 'dodgy' areas. Well obviously that depends on what you would call dodgy, but I think it's fair to say that the center of town is nicer after you get north of the railway line / canal. However, some of the nicest (and most expensive) streets are relatively close to the line, e.g. Leam Terracce and Russell Terrace, both being south of the river but north of the train line and canal. Going out of town north you've got Lillington and Cubbington to the north which are generally nice areas. Again I would say nicer than south leam - Sydenham or Whitnash say. Having said that there are some modern modern red brick estates (of the constructed from platerboard variety) down south which don't have the 'rough' look some spots have - they just look like red brick estates everywhere else!

Having looked on rightmove.co.uk a few times myself recently it's definitely true to say that the properties are cheaper south of the train line / canal. Some streets though seem to be unreasonably cheaper, e.g. Leicester Street, Hill Street, Norfolk Street.

Bear in mind it's a fairly small town, so I don't know how you'll adjust coming from london. Warwick is very close, Coventry and Birmingham are close enough for a quick shopping trip or night out in a larger city. Schools I don't know about.

You migth want to consider living in Warwick or somewhere in between (the two towns sort of merge into each other anyway). Myton Road is a nice (and probably expensive) road with lots of family homes and a big school.

locster

locster

Also for bargains take a look at property snake -- home -- find falling house prices in your area. The site is a bit ropey but it's somewhere else to find leads.

Dylan

I've just moved to Leamington, Sydenham (renting) to a nice quiet area off of Gainsborough.

There's a primary school nearby (5 minute walk) and ASDA is walking distance.
    Town is about a 10-15 minute walk from here. Everything is extremely convenient.

Administrator

Leamington seems to be on the up all the time. I hear they even doing a good job at cleaning up with streets at night too now. I was over there again recently, and the town continues to impress me.
    --==Forum Admin Will==--
    Your Friendly Forum Admin. - Contact me.

Default Been advised to live in Leamington... good advice?

I am new in the forum. I am new in Warwickshire. I am new in the UK.

I am French and I will start working soon in the area.
    I am moving soon with my family and I have been advised to live in Leamington.

Looking at the primary schools (from an internet point of view) the Kingsway Primary School looks pretty good.
    I am planing to move in the south of train line. Not more than a mile from the station if possible.
    For me the current good points are : being close to a lot of state schools, being close to either the big ASDA or Sainsbury, being close to the station.
    Do you think it is a good choice ? At least not too bad ?

Do you know about Kingsway Primary School ? Shrubland Street Community Primary School ? Whitnash Primary School or Sydenham Primary School ?

regards

Margaret H

My grandchildren attend Shrubland Street Community Primary School. It is a small school (but has a class for each year group) so all the children can be well-known by the head and the staff. The new headteacher has worked hard to raise standards and the 2011 SATs results (end of Key Stage 2) are excellent. I believe that they also take a creative approach to the curriculum. I understand that the children's behaviour is also very good and that they play together well at break times. They haven't got a website yet but you could go and look at the school. The last OFSTED inspection was 'satisfactory' but I believe they are working hard to achieve at least a 'good' at the next one. I hope you find the right house and school for your family's needs.