Thread: No Photography ban

Administrator

Cool No Photography ban

I was always a bit sceptical about this petition anyway, but the government has seen fit to clear a few things up.

Thank you for signing the petition on the Downing Street website calling for the Prime Minister to stop proposed restrictions on photography in public places.

This petition has already attracted over 60,000 signatures from people who obviously share your concern. Not surprisingly, the idea that the Government might be poised to restrict your ability to take photos has caused some puzzlement and even alarm.

We have therefore decided to respond to this petition before its closing date of August, in order to reassure people.

The Government appreciates that millions of people in this country enjoy photography. So we have checked carefully to see if any Government department was considering any proposal that might possibly lead to the sort of restrictions suggested by this petition. We have been assured this is not the case.

There may be cases where individual schools or other bodies believe it is necessary to have some restrictions on photography, for instance to protect children, but that would be a matter for local decisions.

In fact, Simon Taylor, who started the petition, has since made clear that he was not really referring to Government action or legislation. His main concern appears to be that photographic societies and other organisations may introduce voluntary ID cards for members to help them explain why they are taking photographs. Again, any such scheme would not involve the Government.

We hope this re-assures you and clears up the confusion.
    So looks like we're safe to take pictures in public for a little while longer as yet.
    --==Forum Admin Will==--
    Your Friendly Forum Admin. - Contact me.

Chatterbox

It's been good that this has bought it to the attention of the government how many people object to this sort of control. It was on vines program on radio 2 the other day. One guy was made to stand behind a screen and LISTEN to his grand daughter do ballet, he wasn't even allowed to watch let alone take photos. The worlds gone mad I tell thee maaaaad.
    Had one guy come up to me in somerfield saying I couldn't take pictures of his friends shop in atherstone for my site. Numpty stunk of beer too yuk.
    Madhatter

cathidaw

I am delighted we are still allowed to take photos more or less freely as I think of myself a real David Bailey!
    .But sometimes we have to think.
    last year I was in Covent Garden to take pictures of the market for a project.
    There was a fantastic hat stall so I started to take pics from a distance at first but as Igot nearer I could see the lady was troubled (scowling at me) so I asked if it was o.k. and she said no she didn't want people copying her designs. I explained myself away and she was ok about it but to be fair I showed her that I had deleted them all. Happy all around then!
    I was foolish not to think it out beforehand

Chatterbox

What a daft think for her to say, anyone can walk up to her stall and SEE the designs, any body can come up to her stall and take photographs if they want her designs. This at least gives her free advertisment.
    Madhatter

cathidaw

Iknew it was a silly thing for her to say but I went along with it.
    I didn't want a confrontation . Life is too short.
    Ifound another angle --at a bank holiday market. The traders thought it was great and entered into the spirit.
    Ialso got most of their addresses and sent them a photo each.

I would suffer withdrawals if I couldn't pointNclick.
    Cool

Hmm... seems this photography thing is rearing its ugly head again.

BBC NEWS | Magazine | Innocent photographer or terrorist?

I think the problem is indeed another word that begins wit "p" - paranoia. For some of us pointing and clicking is a hobby NOT a means to gather information for any illicit purposes.

Have often looked on the net for pictures of my town and not finding a lot so went on a mission of my own just pointing, clicking and trying to be aware of avoiding people as much as possible so as not to deliberately include close ups of anyone. It attracted a bit of interest, yet, I was hardly hiding.. standing pointing, clicking. Boggles me...
    Cool

I never allow my picture to be taken as I'm quite concerned about my soul being stolen.