Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should we buy on Old Hinckley Road?

Unregistered

Default Should we buy on Old Hinckley Road?

We're relocating to nuneaton and I would like to know if Old Hinckley Road is a good road to buy a house on. Is this a desirable address? Will we be able to re-sell? We have a young family and want to be within walking distance of the town centre.

Many thanks for your help and advice.

There have been a couple of similar posts and not much in the way of response, presumably because no-one knows about the area in question.

TBH whether an area is desirable or not, is down to personal perception. I would say that there is nowhere desirable in nuneaton. Others of course will say different!

Best thing to do is your own research - try upmystreet.com to find out about crime rate, schools, property values etc etc.

Unregistered

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your advice and will indeed look at that website.

Good advice Optrex. Though I live in Nuneaton, the area I live in is probably not the most desireable, but it is perception and what fits your requirements. For me it is what is literally a few minutes walk to the town centre - I don't have a car. No more than 15 minutes if I walk slowly to the railway station. Of course the upside is the council tax band is lower, especially for one person.

In essence, the advice given by Optrex to try upmystreet.com is your best course of action.
    Cool

Unregistered

Thank you Shizara. I want to be able to walk my children to school (located in Riversley Park). Do you think Old Hinckley road is too far a walk? Should I be concerned about walking over the Leicester Road bridge every day?

Many thanks for any advice.

Whats the catchment for that school? Looks like the boundary could stop at the old hinckley road and if you get the wrong side you may end up in Weddington.

Unregistered

Thanks optrex, I'll check that.

It would be quite a trek for little ones from Old Hinckley Road to Riversley Park. If I really step it out I can manage home to the railway station in about 10 -12 minutes or about 15 if a bit slower. It would likely take much longer than that depending on how far up Old Hinckley Road you were.
    Cool

Chatterbox

Old Hinckley road is ok(the piece on the one way system), all that side of the railway line is ok. Long shoot, weddington, higham.Only thing wrong with that road is the traffic noise and dust. I've never lived there so I don't know exactly how bad it is.
    Why would you not be able to re-sell? Unless the house gets a blight order on it or the hells angels move next door I can't see you nor being able to re-sell.
    Leicester road bridge is busy but there are crossings now at every major crossing point.
    Good walk to Riversley park though, about three quarters of a mile.
    Last edited by Madhatter; 03-02-2007 at 01:14 PM.
    Madhatter

Unregistered

Thank you for all your advice, it's very helpful. I am mainly concerned with the pollution aspect of living on Old Hinckley Road, but I suppose if I want to live in the town centre this is a compromise I have to make.

I'm concerned about re-sale as the house in question has no off road parking and no on road parking either. We'd have to park on the pavement or on a different street altogether. We do love the house though, so we're trying to convince oursleves that the parking/busy road/walk to school won't be an issue.

There is an old saying when property buying.....

location, location, location

The biggest dump in a good street will get you a greater return than the best house in a bad street.

Think about it, if you have concerns about resale, then so will your future buyers!

PS click that register button and give yourself a nickname, so we can say hello properly

Unregistered

I agree Optrex, location is very important - probably more so than the house. Perhaps when buying a house you should let your head, not your heart, rule. Or maybe it should be a bit of both.

Thanks again for the advice, much appreciated.

Chatterbox

Surely if it's right you shouldn't need to convince yourselves.
    Where does everyone else park?
    Is there a back garden for the lids to play? is there a park? is there a shop nearby that they can get to without crossing that road?
    Where is the next school located that they'll go to?
    Try asking a few neighbours what their experiences are.
    Personally my view is that a main road is not the best place for kids, and that is a bust road. Kids belong on a quiet side street. But thats just my opinion and perhaps unrealistic as I've got no children.
    Madhatter

Unregistered

You make a good point Madhatter, we are trying to convince ourselves it's right. The thing is, I'm the type of person who over analyses everything - so perhaps I'm over analysing the issues with the road too. I dare say somebody else wouldn't give it this much thought and would just be glad they'd found such a wonderful house. I have to say though, having children definitely makes you think harder about things as you feel such a responsibility towards them. Also, the housing stock in Nuneaton town centre doesn't offer this type of house very often, so we want to be doubly sure before we walk away. I am following the advice offered by everyone on this thread which has been a real help.

Chatterbox

I know exactly what you're doing, I analyse everything too, I've been getting a web server for ooh 9 months now.
    Thats why I don't want to just pick it apart and find the bad bits that you're going to get with nearly every house in every town. You always have to compromise somewhere to gain elsewhere.
    Madhatter

Smile

Attelborough is near