Thread: Ipods

Default Ipods

I'm not too clued up on Ipods,Mp3s etc but have decided I need one!!!

My requirements are pretty basic though!!!

I want something basic and cheap - only need about 2-300 songs. Needs to be easily used in the gym. I would prefer one that gives me access to FM/AM radio too.

Any suggestions would be most welcome

Administrator

If you only need that amount of songs, you might be better off buying a simple MP3 player. They usually cost a lot less, and I'm pretty sure some of them have radio recievers too. To be honest, I'm not sure what the advantage of an IPOD is, but I'm certain a simple MP3 player will be suitable enough for your needs.
    --==Forum Admin Will==--
    Your Friendly Forum Admin. - Contact me.

I think I've worked out what I need!!

A portable DAB Mp3 player!!

Wish they weren't quite so pricey!!

Administrator

Keep shopping around, I'm pretty sure there are some reasonably priced units out there. Check on the net especially.
    --==Forum Admin Will==--
    Your Friendly Forum Admin. - Contact me.

Next Train's Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchie
    I'm not too clued up on Ipods,Mp3s etc but have decided I need one!!!

My requirements are pretty basic though!!!

I want something basic and cheap - only need about 2-300 songs. Needs to be easily used in the gym. I would prefer one that gives me access to FM/AM radio too.

Any suggestions would be most welcome
    Don't go with Ipod. Overpriced rubbish. A Creative Zen Micro sounds like what you want - 6 GIG hard drive + Radio.

Next Train's Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Admin Will
    If you only need that amount of songs, you might be better off buying a simple MP3 player. They usually cost a lot less, and I'm pretty sure some of them have radio recievers too. To be honest, I'm not sure what the advantage of an IPOD is, but I'm certain a simple MP3 player will be suitable enough for your needs.
    IPODs have no advantage, other than style.

torchomatic

I have a 20GIG Sony Walkman - miles better than an iPod, battery life is around 30 hours which is great.

Next Train's Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by torchomatic
    I have a 20GIG Sony Walkman - miles better than an iPod, battery life is around 30 hours which is great.
    Sony's Software is terrible, though. I got rid of my Net MD some years ago because of that Sonic Stage rubbish you had to use!

torchomatic

I can't argue with you there, Sonic Stage and Connect are nowhere near as good as iTunes, but I think the hardware is miles better. I wouldn't have an iPod again.

Quote Originally Posted by Leofric
    Sony's Software is terrible, though. I got rid of my Net MD some years ago because of that Sonic Stage rubbish you had to use!

Quote Originally Posted by Leofric View Post

I would agree, especially with their faux pas on piracy measures. I do like my ipod nano and although I dont have radio, I can play it through my car radio with a little fm transmitter.

Steve W

I quite fancy trying the Sony Walkman.

I'm also a big fan of Creative. As a budget MP3 player I would highly recommend Creative's Muvo range

I would also like to try the Creative Zen range.
    Last edited by Steve W; 11-10-2006 at 01:58 PM.

I try and avoid Sony now. Their practises in copyright protection are beyond a joke. Using stealth methods to install trojan software on a machine in the name of copyright is not on!

Steve W

Quote Originally Posted by optrex View Post
    I try and avoid Sony now. Their practises in copyright protection are beyond a joke. Using stealth methods to install trojan software on a machine in the name of copyright is not on!
    Agreed. I couldn't believe I was reading it when I saw that news

Steve W

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    I'm looking at getting an MP3/Ipod (once I get a job & have some money when I get back to the UK).
    Are Muvo & Creative still good makes, or are there any other good makes out there?

Ta,
    Lex
    Creative is an excellent make. For a bog standard "just play my songs in alphabetical order" MP3 player, the Zen Stone is an excellent choice. I really like the look of the Zen V, Zen V Plus and the Zen Vision as well, so will probably go for one of those when I decide to get a bigger one. I also still have a Muvo 256MB player and that too is excellent. You get much better value for money than the iPod range in my opinion.

Steve W

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    Thanks Steve. I was going to avoid Ipods, as you seem to pay twice the money for something that does the same job as an MP3. I'll look your suggestions up & see what I like.
    No problem, glad to be of help.