Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: decriminalisation of parking

Running on empty

Default decriminalisation of parking

the council is bringing another marvelous parking scheme to warwick. oh, joy. briefly... pay and display on street parking, with permits for residents, over the whole town centre. this will do wonders for people trying to park in the town centre. how have they achieved this masterpiece? by banning anyone who works in warwick from parking any closer to the centre than the racecourse, or st nicks park. genius. i run a shop in the town centre, and, due to our excellent customer service, we will deliver heavier items to the customer, so its nice if the transport isnt too far away. not any more! the chap on the stand in the market place informed me that i should; deliver after hours(in my own time..) park further away, pay more, oh, and the business should pay for the season ticket. so to all my customers, sorry, service just got worse,and prices will be going up. but at least you will be able to park right outside. yours wholey unimpressed of warwick

Administrator

Once again we're all reaping the rewards of the government handing matters of parking over to the local councils. In the name of 'better parking' or 'better traffic control' we've seen all towns of Warwickshire punish their local residents and workers with increasingly ridiculous and greedy schemes.

It's definately time we started standing up to these councils.
    --==Forum Admin Will==--
    Your Friendly Forum Admin. - Contact me.

Running on empty

i tried today.. i think i may have been a little harsh....
    i think i may be harsh with them again...

Unregistered

Angry

Hope they get it better than Stratford.
    The district council were unable to state that

"To get 20 minutes free parking, you MUST display a free ticket from the machine"

in plain English, so just decided it was easier to charge...

Running on empty

apparently its exactly the same as stratford (even though they claim to be at the consultation phase.... )

Chatterbox

Lost again. don't you hve long stay car parks for shop owners on the edge so that shoppers, your customers that buy fro,m you can park in the nearer short stay car parks? I also dont get why you can't just park outside to load, theres no reason to stop loading unloading for the whole of opening hours, the centre part of opening hours is adequate for any town centre.
    Madhatter

Running on empty

ok.. if i can park a sensible distance from the shop, i can 'pop out' with a delivery as and when the customer asks. if i have to park the other side of town, then that adds 40 minutes or so to the time i am gone. i am the only one there most days. yes i can still load outside the shop, but its no longer viable to close the shop long enough to do that.
    it would appear the council have done some serious indepth research and found there is exactly the number of spaces in the town centre required for visitors, and none left for anyone else (except council employees who have a private car park ) ?That or this is another ill thought out plan from the masters of ill thought out plans. (and by the way, did that jag in the loading bay all day saturday really belong to the man telling me where i could park??? )

n.b. my objection to this is in no way related to a desire to walk as short a distance as possible. no matter where i park my car, i walk my dogs for better part of 2 hours a day.

You will just have to invent a teleport and you won't need a delivery van - thereby saving on running costs and potential parking tickets. Everything could be teleported and whilst you are at it you could teleport yourself to work and back, saving on shoes by not having to walk from a distant carpark and a saving on patience no longer needing to weave around the general public that mill around like Brown's cows on a country road heading for a fresh field and munching the grass on the side of the road on the way. This means of moving goods and transportation might qualify for greenie benefits too.
    Cool

Running on empty

Quote Originally Posted by Shizara View Post
    You will just have to invent a teleport and you won't need a delivery van - thereby saving on running costs and potential parking tickets. Everything could be teleported and whilst you are at it you could teleport yourself to work and back, saving on shoes by not having to walk from a distant carpark and a saving on patience no longer needing to weave around the general public that mill around like Brown's cows on a country road heading for a fresh field and munching the grass on the side of the road on the way. This means of moving goods and transportation might qualify for greenie benefits too.
    its a good idea, but i might wear it out teleporting the council somewhere 'nice'....

Toad

Chillit, you really have to lodge an objection. The Chamber of Trade is fighting hard to get revisions to this loony plan but the more individuals that also write with objections the more weight will be given. Like the ill-starred traffic plan of a couple of years ago it can be changed - but only if people stand up and shout!! Don't rely on others, get a letter in by 8th December - it could make a difference.

Running on empty

the letter has been lodged... oh, yes.... it struck me the other day, how on earth is the florist supposed to run a business?

Toad

Excellent, Chillitt, and encourage other businesses round about to do the same. From what I gather the response has been very angry so maybe there will be a re-think!

Running on empty

toad, that emplies they thought in the first place, but its good news all the same

Running on empty

Quote Originally Posted by optrex View Post
    Chillit, what sort of goods do you sell?
    (plug mode on)doors, and all the fittings, kitchen furniture, toilets, all manner of (really really heavy and big) things for old houses.. all done properly.. theres a link pops up at the top of the page occasionally (end plug.. _)

Steve W

I'm not a driver myself, but I certainly sympathise. Time and time again the local authorities are punishing car users for the shortcomings of the people in charge of managing their budget. Whenever the local councils are strapped for cash, it's always the people with cars etc that are punished for it.

The people who control the budget seem to have no idea on prioritisation. I've always said that the people should have more of a say on what their money is spent on. My priorities would be schemes such:

1. Ensuring street lighting is prominent on ALL streets, icluding smal alleyways and back streets.

2. Better parking, NOT CHARGED.

3. More traffic wardens and police presence on the streets. In my opinion the police in Leamington are dreadful and do not do a very good job.

4. Improved pavements in deprived areas. When you are walking on some pavements, without knowing it you can stumble and injure yourself becsause of potholes or raised areas of pavements. This is a regualr occurrence for many in the old town.

5. Permanent bollards every 3 to 4 feet all the way up the parade to stop parking on pavements.

These are just a few, but are ones that just get overlooked.