Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warwickshire - Your views please!

Kirsty83

Default Warwickshire - Your views please!

Hey guys

I am writing an article for the magazine 'Move to the Country'. In the magazine every month there is a feature about a part of the country which encourages people to go and live there, or at least visit there. For the feature I am writing I have chosen Warwickshire.

I was wondering if any of you would be willing to provide me with a quote about your views of living in Warwickshire.

Why should people choose Warwickshire as the place to visit? Do you think there is any advantage of living in Warwick/Warwickshire? Where are the best places to visit? Why should people choose this region as opposed to others? Are things (cost of living or tourist attractions) affordable?

Also if any of you have moved from other parts of the UK to Warwickshire your comments on your experiences would be really great.

If you could possibly give me a comment for the article I'd be most grateful, and the sooner the better.

Kind regards

Kirsty

Administrator

Hi Kirsty,

Sorry I've been off on a location shoot, but I'd be more then happy to help.

Why should people choose Warwickshire as the place to visit?
    Warwickshire is a country rich with historical sites, notably Shakespeare's hometown and Warwick castle. But there are also many other attractions both historical and natural worth visiting.

Do you think there is any advantage of living in Warwick/Warwickshire?
    I'd say the advantage of living in Warwickshire is that you have the beauty and space of the countryside, while being on the doorstep of the UK's second city of Birmingham.

Where are the best places to visit? Why should people choose this region as opposed to others?
    Stratford definitely for Shakespeare attractions, and of course Warwickshire Castle. There are also many smaller historical attractions in the area worth visiting But the one thing that usually gets overlooked in Warwickshire, is again the beautifully scenic countryside, and one of the best ways to see that is by narrow-boat.

Are things (cost of living or tourist attractions) affordable?
    That's quite possibly Warwickshire's biggest fault, is that it is very much a tourist trap and it's not cheap to visit many of the attractions available. Cost of living is also high, and there is a lack of affordable housing, especially for first time buyers.

Short but I hope of some use to you, I hope it hasn't come too late. Feel free to ask more questions in the future, especially if we can get a mention in your article.
    --==Forum Admin Will==--
    Your Friendly Forum Admin. - Contact me.

Chatterbox

Well, I'm still thinking of an answer.
    Madhatter

Chatterbox

I've typed out an answer but its ended up so much the same as wills its a waste of time posting it.
    It's strange because I've spend two days thinking, and came up with the fact we are in the country yet surrounded by cities especially here in Norh Warwickshire.
    The canal also features prominantly here In North Warwickshire as it does now in Stratford.

Tourist attractions, I think Warwickshire itself is limited, Stratford, Shakespeare, Warwick Castle, Rugby museum,The canals, The motor museum in coventry but coventry is technically west mids now. Plenty around Atherstone, The bookshops in Atherstone, twycross zoo, drayton manor(tamworth), Bosworth Battlefield, Battlefield steam railway, conkers, plantasia, the country park and maze world at Atherstone, including Britains biggest garden centre(dobies), NEC, is just accross in west mids, lots golf courses, lots more country parks.
    Madhatter

Kenilworth Castle - always gets overshadowed by Warwick, but I'm sure it has its own list of claims to fame

Am probably one of the newer arrivals to Warwickshire having moved after two years in Edinburgh. I have to be honest, there was much that I enjoyed about 'Auld Reekie', however, the landscape so to speak was, shall we say, interesting in that you needed to be a mountain goat to live there. Your first encounter being the Waverley steps up to Princes Street, you thought you were climbing Mount Everest. Warwickshire has it's own attractions and charms and many locals would be quick to point out those in their locality.

Since arriving in Nuneaton I have tried to find background information so that I at least know something of the town in which I live. - Am happy to be corrected by those that have more accurate details.

Known for the life and works of George Eliot (Mary Ann Evans). I was intrigued to find that it was once known as "Etone". At some point there was the arrival of nuns and an Abbey and so you had the nuns of Etone.

Historic Buildings:

Arbury Hall

Transport and Train:
    Shackerstone Station
    (Battlefield Line)
    Cadeby Light Railway and Brass Rubbing Centre

Leisure Centre:

Bosworth Water Trust Leisure and Water Park

Museum:
    Nuneaton Museum and Art Gallery

Parks:

Hartshill Hayes Country Park
    Riversley Park
    - the museum is here

Walking:
    Coventry Canal. Like many places canal towpaths make a relaxed walk. Where there Coventry and Oxford canals meet there is a cast iron bridge built in 1836 and don't forget The Greyhound reported to provide good refreshments along with the view. Heading further north towards Madhatter's corner of the world there is a series of locks at Atherstone.
    Ensor's Pool was apparently a clay pit for a colliery and a brickworks which are no longer there. Designated a Special Area of Conservation in 2005 the water is of such clarity that rare crayfish breed there.
    Barnacle Land Wildlife Pond in Bulkington.
    Windmill Hill Nature Reserve. Good views to be had here after a good walk.

Town Centre:

A pleasant enough town centre where, for the most part, it is a pedestrian area though bollards allow limited entry to traffic. There is a fountain, a statue of George Eliot and of course the George Eliot Hotel, a few of the older buildings appear to have survived the last war, the usual High Street shops and it seems that the town used to suffer severe flooding. Much work was done and the River Anker now flows under the town. In recent decades there has been much reconstruction in the area and the addition of the Ropewalk shopping centre.

The ring road, a concept I haven't seen before until arriving in this part of the world, as you would expect, surrounds the town centre. Along the way you have our popular dandelion fountain on one of the roundabouts and the Coton Arches are another wellknown feature.

So, collectively, as a place to visit, Warwickshire has much to offer and obviously, whilst some places have more to offer the visitor than others, each place has it's own atmosphere, charm and attractions. There appears to be a plentiful supply of across the board accommodation depending on the budget and many places can be reached by train or bus. I chose to live here because my job is based in Birmingham, I didn't wish to live there but can commute on most days by train without the hassle of finding parking and of course having to deal with the dreadful motorway system that goes to Birmingham. Once accustomed to it, for those that are used to such congested roads then alternative routes are easier to change to, but for myself, I will make allowances for train running problems, leave earlier and go by train.
    Last edited by Shizara; 03-11-2006 at 12:18 PM.
    Cool

Next Train's Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Madhatter View Post
    I've typed out an answer but its ended up so much the same as wills its a waste of time posting it.
    It's strange because I've spend two days thinking, and came up with the fact we are in the country yet surrounded by cities especially here in Norh Warwickshire.
    The canal also features prominantly here In North Warwickshire as it does now in Stratford.

Tourist attractions, I think Warwickshire itself is limited, Stratford, Shakespeare, Warwick Castle, Rugby museum,The canals, The motor museum in coventry but coventry is technically west mids now. Plenty around Atherstone, The bookshops in Atherstone, twycross zoo, drayton manor(tamworth), Bosworth Battlefield, Battlefield steam railway, conkers, plantasia, the country park and maze world at Atherstone, including Britains biggest garden centre(dobies), NEC, is just accross in west mids, lots golf courses, lots more country parks.
    "West Midlands" doesn't exist as a county, except ceremonially - it was abolished in 1986. Coventry's a Metropolitan Single Tier authority. It's not in Warwickshire, although many people still consider it to be so. Traditionally, it was in Warwickshire, but was also - for some 400 years plus - a county in its own right ("The County of the City of Coventry") until parliamentary reforms in the Victorian times put a stop to it. However, some hangovers from Coventry's time as a county are evident - the old courthouse in the city centre is the County Court (As in the county of Coventry.)

The county was small, but was created due to the imbalance in Warwickshire. Warwick was the county town with tax raising powers, coroners and courts, yet it was much smaller and less important than Coventry. This caused some conflict. Prob with some bribery, the King proclaimed that Coventry could be a county and have its own court. The Walled City of Coventry was the County town, and eleven villages around it were "in" the County. (Parliament was actually held in Coventry a couple of times.)

Coventry was bundled with the Brum Conurbation as part of the "West Midlands County" and lost a lot of powers - however, the Tories pledged to abolish these huge authorities and when they came to power, they did so.

Cov should never have been bundled in with Brum/Black country. It isn't part of the conurbation, and forms an indentified economic sub region stretching from Hinckley down to the Warwick/Leamington conurbation.

Next Train's Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by optrex View Post
    Kenilworth Castle - always gets overshadowed by Warwick, but I'm sure it has its own list of claims to fame
    I love Kenilworth Castle - it's so atmopheric. It has plenty of claims to fame, including being the subject of a famous book and also Simon De Montford was involved in something there. Look it up.

Warwickshire, IMHO, is a small county that's been eaten away by the urbanisation of Coventry, Solihull and Birmingham.

Chatterbox

thanks for that info, I was discussing manchester with someone and they said that is no longer a county but is a ceremonial county and they claim it's lancashire which I'm sure it isn't as Coventry isn't Warwickshire. So if its a single tier Authority that isn't in Warwickshire and isn't a county itself, then where is it. That just sounds as if a single tier authotity is another name for a county?
    Madhatter

Chatterbox

Never been to Kenilworth castle, I'll have to go one day.
    I always liked the halloween specials at Warwick castle.

Bosworth water park is great in summer, it's just like being at a really busy seaside beach, sunbathers everywere with beach mats and windbreaks.
    Madhatter

Kirsty83

Hey guys,

Thank you very much for your replies - much appreciated! One other question - for people living outside Warwickshire looking to move to the area, do you have any advice or tips for them when moving there?

Jackal

Default Pants

My advice to those thinking of moving to Warwickshire? Don't bother, it really is pants...

Administrator

Welcome Jackal,

With that in mind, what do you think Warwickshire needs to make it less "pants"?
    --==Forum Admin Will==--
    Your Friendly Forum Admin. - Contact me.

Pillar of the Community

Default Warwickshire-your views please...

'Kirsty83' started this in 2006, nobody followed this up. I was a young child in the late 1960s when my Dad was an RAF Pilot and Airtrafic controller,we often visited Warwickshire on days out from where we lived on base.(Various). It is only recently, Since my son has been at college in Warwickshire, I've found myself in 'deja vue ' moments because we've travelled through areas I now recall from my young days as a child. I have to say as a person who was priveleged to go to Wells Cathedral School in Somerset with its own history that Warwickshire is really one of the most beautiful counties I know. If you live there, you must treasure it and look after it. It hosts all the history of the War of The Roses, Of Shakespear and of medieval farming England, the like of which still remains; that is your hedge rows that are home to the sparrows that are now scarce.The origional way of setting farm land out- it still remains. So do the old farms. It was and is a major agricultural county. That is a staple of English heritage. Don't let The Government destroy it by building on what was farm land because they have allowed a change in use. You are lucky people to live where you do- protect it.

cathidaw

Ihave been reading the replies to this . ,and agree with all of it, especially with Gladys.We must cherish what we have and protect it.
    Usually when someone asks about Warwickshire or even when thinking about moving here, fingers are pointed to the south -Warwick-Stratford and all of those areas mostly because they are famous, and of course because of their beauty . Going somwhere as a visitor is quite different to living there and has to be looked at from a new angle.
    Many years ago I lived along the Kenilworth Road in Leamington , then moved to Criccieth Wales--both places noted for their attractiveness
    I then came to Bedworth!!!, People scoff even now and so did I and for some years hated it and was ashamed to say Ilived here but by then I had a family and we could not afford to move. My3 kids went to university from the schools here and have done well.
    The towns have changed so much since then, but the surrounding area is still the same. Nowhere here is more than half a mile from beautiful countryside which stretches to the next counties. Over there is Corley , over there is Arbury and Astley and on the edge of Nuneaton is the lovely Trent valley where Bodicea fought her last battle. My friend owns Harthill castle and most weeks Igo there. it is an oasis in the middle of an urban area.Early morning is peaceful and beautiful there with much wildlife . One could be anywhere.

I say all this because we are the poor relation when it comes to publicity for Warwickshire. But we have so much history- the Roman fort was here and the largest Roman potteries in England were here with Mancetter pots found all over England and the world.
    I am saying this as I believe this is an ideal place for people to move to---Me who tried for years to get out. People must not be put off
    And it is handy for many towns and motorways without them being too intrusive. One day Imay move , but it has to be good to compare with all the amenities and convenience of living here.
    Of course there are deprived areas in Nuneaton as in many towns but the counci is trying hard to regenerate it, even starting to build marina near the town on a waste area.
    Now for the big fly in the ointment. If anyone read my rant yesterday (please read it) about the toxoc waste disposal plant which Warwick County Council has planned to be built riight near this proposed new marina they will know how I feel.
    Who will want to use it with 40 lorries a day passing by carrying this waste(toxic) from all over the country and abroad, to the site.
    This will only worsen a deprived area.Ihave a feeling that the suits and shiny shoes who came to have a look at the quarry only came to make sure it was far enough away from them .

Ibelieve that all towns should be responsible for their own waste disposal -especiall toxic.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 09-10-2008 at 12:08 AM. Reason: missed words

Quote Originally Posted by cathidaw View Post
    Ibelieve that all towns should be responsible for their own waste disposal -especiall toxic.
    Cathidaw, you are absolutely correct.
    Cool