Thread: Good Warwickshire Museums

Administrator

Question Good Warwickshire Museums

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any decent Museums in Warwickshire worth going to? I feel like having am intellectual day, but when I think about it I can't think of any decent museums in the area.

Or something along those lines.
    --==Forum Admin Will==--
    Your Friendly Forum Admin. - Contact me.

Chatterbox

I went to the transport museum at coventry a few weeks back. Totally unplanned, went with the ex inlaw to coventry looking for camera lenses and happen to park near it. I mentioned it's free, he said fancy a quick look round. A quick look round in there took over two hours and thats just skimming the surface. I've got some pics, I'll start a thread and post some when I'm awake.
    Madhatter

Is it within walking distance of the railway station?
    Cool

Chatterbox

15 minutes walk. It's on Hales Street Millrnium Square which is on the opposite side of Coventry centre to the Railway Station
    Madhatter

Toad

Have a look at www.warwickchamberoftrade.co.uk under What To See & Do - some very good museums listed, depending on what you want.

Next Train's Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Hi all,

Does anyone know of any decent Museums in Warwickshire worth going to? I feel like having am intellectual day, but when I think about it I can't think of any decent museums in the area.

Or something along those lines.
    The Herbert Art Gallery might have something on. As might the Arts centre at Warwick Uni. Then there's the car museum in Coventry - which is interesting, even for me, who isn't interested in cars!

Chatterbox

Rugby museum.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/coventry/featur...l-museum.shtml
    In rugby of course.
    Madhatter

Chatterbox

ah well will said Warwickshire, and brum isn't. Think we should include brum and surrounding counties.
    Madhatter

Administrator

Thanks guys! I intend to make good use of those suggestions with the little time off I've booked.
    --==Forum Admin Will==--
    Your Friendly Forum Admin. - Contact me.

Steve W

I'd recommend the Coventry Transport Museum also. It's right next to Pool Meadow bus station. The cathedral is nice as well. They're only little but I also quite like the pump rooms in Leamington, and the little history museum on warwick market square.

cathidaw

Birmingham is possibly the best and in a beautiful building, and the restaurant- is excellent--also the people who work there really enjoy their jobs and it all helps. Compton Verney is lovely and only just in Warwickshire with a good meals room.
    Sometime you may like to try Nuneaton Riversley Park museum. They have some pretty good exhibitions there too.The last one was excellent. Photographs of poor in the outbacks of America in the 20s and 30s. Unfortunately the tearoom has closed which was excellent. It did not lose money but didn't make enough profit for the council so they are going to put it out to tender . In the meantime the number of visitors are down. Which will give them an excuse--or reason-- not to open it again. The nearest cafe is in the town or Asda up the ring road-a good walk, and who wants to sit in Asda on a cultural trip.It would certainly kill my mood.
    One of the nicest things of a museum is being able to sit down every now and again with a cuppa and go back to see the rest of the exhibits.
    Last edited by cathidaw; 13-12-2007 at 09:52 PM.

cathidaw

Default Nuneaton Museum

No-one has mentioned the excellent Riversley Park museum in Nuneaton.

but sadly they have closed the tearoom so unless you take a packed lunch and sit in the lovely park in which it is situated, or nip up the road to Asda's cafe the day out is ruined.
    Such is the mentality of Nuneaton Borough Council.
    It wasn't making a loss but the profit was not enough for them to keep it open.
    Why is a big profit always necessary?

I am very guilty of not having wandered around Riversley Park, let alone the museum, but, when I do I will take a packed lunch.
    Cool

Cary

Hi all,
    this is very good to do it again guys,
    i am very glad to stay in this forum....
    thanks guys!!!