Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Warwick Mop

Running on empty

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    With one phone call to the electricity supplier, it was possible to ascertain that the power cut was caused by a cable fault on an over head pylon out of town. This fault knocked out the supply to just over three thousand properties.

Is this just becoming a case of you blaming the mop for everything, however unrelated or fictitious it may be?
    No, but a power cut while the mop chaps were wandering about with huge 'extension leads' and moving lorries about, It was quite believable at the time...I was told by someone who said they saw it, that a lorry knocked a lamp post over.(I was also told that it was down to someone trying to rig the wires for the mop to the council power points, but chose not to place too much credence in that one)
    Incidentally, you have also said repeatedly there is a charter, but still haven't backed that up.
    Yours from a shopkeeper who has closed up early(again) because it isn't worth being there while the mops on.

BTW have a nice year, maybe we will see you next year

Toad

Yeah, we were blacked out as well. Haven't a clue why. Just added a bit more misery to the last two weeks. I'm off tomorrow to explain to the bank manager why we need a bigger overdraft - luckily he lives in Warwick and appreciates the problems, unlike most of the people who want to keep it - strange that!
    Chillitt, use the freedom of information act to get the review papers. I know of at least three other businesses who have applied for them. You CAN make a difference!

Toad

With one phone call to the electricity supplier, it was possible to ascertain that the power cut was caused by a cable fault on an over head pylon out of town. This fault knocked out the supply to just over three thousand properties.

Is this just becoming a case of you blaming the mop for everything, however unrelated or fictitious it may be?
    Interesting, I was told it was a fault in the town centre. Not blaming anyone - these things happen.

Toad

I have been informed the town centre has had a number of power cuts this year and I was there when yesterdays happened. As the lights went out and the alarms sounded the showman I was talking to remarked 'I wonder how long it will be before we get the blame for this?'. I guess now I can inform him it was less than twelve hours afterwards and that my prediction of it being an 'unnamed' shopkeeper was correct.

Its a shame the mop is the only thing leaving town today!
    Who blamed the moppers - confused, please explain.

Incidentally, would you like us all to 'leave town today'? Have you any idea how much we pay in business taxes to subsidise your council tax? Sorry we inconvenience your enjoyment of the funfair, but do they pay business taxes to subsidise you? No, they don't. Bear it in mind.

Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by chillitt View Post
    when there is a psco standing by the 'blockade' saying 'We have handed the town over now, there's nothing we can do..etc' then it knock my faith in the authorities..
    As for The Correct Channels, who would you suggest? no one is prepared to stand up and say 'We run this,' and involve the locals at all.
    perhaps chillit you need to reflect on your law studies slightly more before slating the rol eof the PCSO who was stood preventing you from parking outside your shop to collect your one lunch bag from the store. If memory serves you were the rudest person I have ever had misfortune to listen to speaking to another.

The roads are closed using the town and police clauses act, and the only way you will be able drive on the closed road is if a Constable in uniform allows you to do so. The PCSO was not able in law to let you drive past

OH yeah policing of the mop comes at no extra cost as its a public event

Running on empty

Hello! welcome back..
    The road was closed 40 minutes before the Time all the traders were told the roads would be closed, thats not helpful.. I have apologised to the PCSO for being intemperate,(he laughed and said he it was a nonsense too. You must be a delicate little flower if thats the worst you have ever heard) and If you heard me, then you would have seen a large car packed with some very heavy things... I hope you have a good mop this year cos I aint going to be there.
    By the way any luck with finding a copy of the charter yet??
    Last edited by chillitt; 11-10-2008 at 11:13 PM.

Mop Fan

Talking

[QUOTE=chillitt;8978]Hello! welcome back..

Oh dear, you assume it is me for some reason????? Do you honestly think I would want this information bringing to the front again, you may notice I only respond when there are inaccuracies and blatent fiction typed here.

Interesting I'm not alone in my opinion of you, hope you have an enjoyable holiday wherever you are going!

Running on empty

[QUOTE=Mop Fan;8983]
    Quote Originally Posted by chillitt View Post
    Hello! welcome back..

Oh dear, you assume it is me for some reason????? Do you honestly think I would want this information bringing to the front again, you may notice I only respond when there are inaccuracies and blatent fiction typed here.

Interesting I'm not alone in my opinion of you, hope you have an enjoyable holiday wherever you are going!
    I assumed nothing..

Correct this then.. There is no charter referring to a fair in Warwick Market place and the surrounding streets.

Oh, to save you wasting your time, I couldn't care less what you think of me! I hope you enjoy the fair too

Mop Fan

Believe that if it brings you comfort!

Leamington (born bred warwick though house price was cheaper)

Question charter

having read through the forum to try and find where I can find a copy of the charter myself, I am resigned to the fact that unless I try and obtain a copy under FOI with Warwick Town council as I believe thats where its kept, the only other way to find out its content would be to attend the official openeing where the charter is read to the town, and the mop fair is then declared open.

Chillit, I appreciate you do not wish to attend the mop, but perhaps this is the easiest way to start understanding the content of the charter

Running on empty

Royal charters are held here. Royal Charter
    Nothing about the mop though..

Unregistered

Exclamation

to add to your list of past problems have you noticed that there is always a increase in crime and there are also numerous fights which often occur at the mop. Remember seeing a lot of police tape about 2 years ago! Just last year i remember seeing someone smash a shop front window and i also saw a fight....! Can get a little crazy especially with the small police force Warwick has.

timbo1911

Default mop

fed up with shopkeepers moaning i was up mop sat afternnon every shop was busy all cafes u couldnt get a seat so stop bloody moaning its tradition to hold mop fair

cathidaw

NOT MUCH USE IF YOU DONT SELL FOOD.
    I SHOULDN'T IMAGINE THAT OTHER TYPES OF SHOPS WOULD BE BUSY-EXCEPT FOR PEOPLE JUST WANDERING ABOUT.
    I had the same problem in Bedworth-when Victorian days and folk festivals were on, no-one bought anything. Nothing I sold was edible....or 'fun'
    People go out for 'FUN' and to 'ENJOY'' themselves with a vengeance - even if it kills them and costs the earth to get it.
    When shops pay so much in rates it sticks in the craw when the 3 day trader
    has a boom time and pays nothing.
    I have a friend who used to 'do' fairs and things with his batch bar, and looked forward to the end of November folk festival to pay for his Christmas in Majorca every year.
    (excuse the caps up top -I'm too lazy to re-write.)

Running on empty

Timbo, it's not uncommon for it to be like that on a Saturday when the Mop isn't here.. the market makes much less noise and mess, doesn't close any roads and is actually useful...
    Not half as much fun for those who like flashing lights, din and taking their life in their hands, of course...

Leamington (born bred warwick though house price was cheaper)

Warwick Market useful.......
    It hasn't been any use since they redesigned the town.

If they were to shut the roads for the market, then it would be bigger and better. But no doubt local traders would oppose that too.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - Kebab in the other body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming : Woo Hoo, what a ride