Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Warwick Mop

Toad

Default Warwick Mop

Is anyone else sick of the disruption caused by the annual Warwick fun-fair?

DOesn't affect me, but I may be interested in it as a visitor. What are the problems associated with it as a local? Is it just traffic issues? Where is it sited in the town and how does the disruption differ to any other festival or event (concert at the Castle for instance)

How long does the Warwick Mop last? ie is it a day only event or does it go on for a week or two?
    Cool

Running on empty

the mop takes over swan street, brook st the market place market st new street and the car parks in new st and brook st from thursday 4 pm till some point on sunday. this is over 2 weekends. during this time no shops on those streets can take deliveries in, or send anything out unless they can carry it some distance.
    while the mop was on last week diesel fumes made the market place and my shop just off it a health hazzard. i had to shut the shop because the staff we getting woozy.
    it differs from any other event in that there seems to be zero consideration to health and safety or disruption to locals.
    it gets away with it because they have a 'charter' which i believe states they pay a few quid a year for the trouble the cause, but it literally a few quid.
    they claim to be traditional, in that originally the first mop was a hiring fair where all the local lads would find gainful employ, and the second mop is the 'runaway fair' where if these lads didn't like their new job, they got a second go. quite what that has to do with deisel generators, candy floss and 'bent' try your luck games i have no idea. my shop hasn't changed for 111 years, thats traditional, but it doesn't stop them running a tatfest on the pavement outside.
    usually the town starts to return to normal on the monday after the second mop, litter blows round the town for another few days while the council chaps chase it, the oil and other stains are gradually washed way, and blood pressures return to normal. i am not a fan.

I can understand why you are not a fan, I wouldn't be either. Am assuming that it has to be run in a town rather than a suitable place nearby and I have to wonder if when it first begain they had diesel generators etc.
    Cool

Running on empty

between the 2 mops, they camp down on the racecourse. easy access plenty of parking etc. why not have it there? i believe W.C.C. look in here from time to time, perhaps they could tell us....

That's a very good point. Also, is it necessary to advise local businesses when they plan to hold the mop and give anyone the chance to object?
    Cool

Running on empty

we are 'informed'. there is no option to object or even comment... its usually about 3 weeks notice of the exact dates, but we all know its coming..

Toad

Angry Warwick Mop

In fact we do get notice but we do all know the middle two weeks of October will be a wash-out for business.
    Businesses and residents have been trying to get rid of the mop for years. It is too big for the centre of a small town. It ought to be either very much smaller or on the race-course (Nottingham got rid of theirs from the city centre years ago and it has worked wonderfully well.)
    There was a mop 'review' last year. The majority of residents, businesses and local council officers all said that it had to change and be made smaller - guess what, the councillors disagreed - we all wonder why. We are stuck with it until the next review in 4 years time.
    All we want is for it to include the town and not exclude it. The Victorian Evening is a great example of how everyone in the town works together to provide a great event. This is what the mop should be.

I couldn't agree more. It pretty much sums up the impression I was already getting. The mop, as it stands now, would seem to exclude the town by it's very activities and most certainly fo the businesses there. I seem to remember when a nearby pub had applied for a late licence - mostly to make noise I think. I did object but the response received told me that it was a waste of time as I had gotten the impression it was going to happen anyway. The end result now is there is more noise than ever from the place, they drink on the street in front of it, shout, scream and in general make an amazing racket. They spill on to the streets and stagger/wander wherever, they turn doorways, alleyways etc into makeshift toilets for urinating and vomiting and of course, there is the broken glass. I have no objection per se to people enjoying themselves - we all like to do so - however, my objection is much along the same lines as yours. The "it's going to happen, live with it" thinking whether we like it or not. Seemingly a sad indictment of today's society.
    Cool

Toad

Default Mop

It is a big problem. We have another between Warwick & Leamington with a huge Tesco shop. Nobody wanted it, the local councils fought it all the way to the High court and lost. Now they want to expand the shop (putting even more small businesses out of business) and the planners just say 'Yes' because if the applicants appeal and win the local council picks up the legal bill and can be sued for loss of earnings during the appeals. Stupid - no local council can afford to take that risk. A good example is Coventry Airport where WDC lost a fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by Toad View Post
    ... and the planners just say 'Yes' because if the applicants appeal and win the local council picks up the legal bill and can be sued for loss of earnings during the appeals. Stupid - no local council can afford to take that risk. A good example is Coventry Airport where WDC lost a fortune.
    That's really where it's at perhaps. You could read much into that including the notion that there is less concern about the smaller businesses kicking up a fuss and taking them to court than the financial loss should big business do so.
    Cool

Chatterbox

Quote Originally Posted by Toad View Post
    It is a big problem. We have another between Warwick & Leamington with a huge Tesco shop. Nobody wanted it, the local councils fought it all the way to the High court and lost. Now they want to expand the shop (putting even more small businesses out of business) and the planners just say 'Yes' because if the applicants appeal and win the local council picks up the legal bill and can be sued for loss of earnings during the appeals. Stupid - no local council can afford to take that risk. A good example is Coventry Airport where WDC lost a fortune.
    Atherstone did, and quite rightly. The aldi shed did not have my approval and did not have the approval of several local councillors. You always get one though that will support these things. I'm sure there were more than one but councillor d.pickard said he was pleased the store was coming and liked the design. For some reason I got banned off our local site when I pointed out that this store will take business of local shops and incorparted a dangerous alley.
    It got overturned of course Aldi got the go ahead and our borough council payed.
    I admire the planning department for that.
    The fair. Who's fair is it ? and why are their no consultations done with chamber of trade? you all need to get together and make it clear you will not put up with generators outside your shops. There is no need for it.
    Madhatter

Running on empty

mh, you ever tried to reason with the guild of showmen or a county council? its like painting fog...

Chatterbox

they should be reasoning with each other. Whos sets out whats going where ? If it's all down to the fair people thats wrong and the fault of the shop owners. get together and force them to take notice.
    Who exactly is running the town centre there. ?
    All events here are managed by joint group efforts. Nobody is in charge really. And I could never see a fair coming in and taking over or the county council taking over.
    We had a statutes fair in the town years ago, It was gotten rid of in the name of improvement, but I don't see why, it wasn't hurting where it was here. After a gap of many many years the last two has saw it return to its original site. It bought back a lot of childhood memories. It's just not the same stuck out of town on a muddy field. Thats ok if there's a carnival.
    Madhatter

Running on empty

well theres a chamber of trade that has a new broom in charge this year,a lot of the shop keepers gave up on the camber of trade cos it was a bit cliquey, hopefully thats changed now. in the past they've not had much to say. theres a town centre manager, on the council but im not sure wether he has a lot of power then there is the council itself... .