Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Warwick Mop

Chatterbox

Who organises the victorian evening ?
    Madhatter

Toad

Default Mop

The Victorian Evening is organised by the Chamber of Trade and the local Town Centre Management team. The Chamber used to organise it alone but there was such a lack of practical support from local businesses that it stopped for a couple of years. The same people who wouldn't help when it was on then said they wanted it back! Now it works well because the load is spread more fairly.
    As for the Chamber of Trade, it is only as good as the input from it's members, which has lamentable in the past. It has been revamped, the support is now much better and it has even launched a new web site for all the businesses in the town at www.warwickchamberoftrade.co.uk. This has had a very good response, considering its only been live for two weeks. The only way we will get something done about things like the mop is by collective action. The Chamber has achieved amazing things over the last ten years but people always want someone else to do the work - very few are willing to put their moaning in to positive action.

Toad

I forgot to say, Madhatter asked 'The fair. Who's fair is it ? and why are their no consultations done with chamber of trade?' It's the local council who decides who will the mount the mop - anyone can tender, but, you've guessed it, it never goes to tender. Wonder why not. The Chamber of Trade has been fighting the mop for years and led the businesses case at the review last year.

Chatterbox

simple, if they don't listen don't let them into the town. Cause a disturbance, block the roads. Its YOUR town, YOUR shops, you should all stick together. Now that you've got a few basic things sorted which are things that have happened in Atherstone in the past you should have a strong voice. All for one and one for all where shops are concerned.
    Madhatter

Running on empty

i think, given the bother there was friday and saturday night this year, we may find the police being less than 100% behind the mop next year..
    aparrently 8 police officers faced 100 'youths' wearing balaclavas or veils looking for bother saturday night...
    its all so sordid..

Toad

Default Mop

Yes, lots of problems. I gather the mop licence can be 'reviewed' each year. Our hope is that we can get a 'review' in the light of the violence over two weekends. The Chamber of Trade are going to look at it but it is a legal minefield and some councillors are determined to keep it - but then they don't put up with the noise, vomit, fighting etc. etc.!!

It is a bit catch 22, however I would have to wonder why it has degenerated into a legal minefield or has it always been one but not been tested before and of those determined to keep it, on what grounds? - (A local field?)
    Cool

Toad

Well, put quickly, there was always a notion that the mop was granted as a royal charter. The Chamber if Trade spent quite a bit of money having this tested through legal council. It transpired that there IS a charter but it is up to the local council to award it and it is NOT a right for the showmans guild to mount the event. The mop belongs to the council and they can award it to whoesoever they wish. As I have said before, there are strange things going on. Against all the advice and protests the review councillors said the mop should continue with the showmans guild. No one is sure why and it is very strange. Some have suggested illegal doings - I could not possibly comment!!

Running on empty

my only comment would be all the shops in warwick put signs up tomorrow morning saying 'warwick mop- move it, or stop it.' and leave them up.

Toad

Brilliant idea, chillitt, I think a lot of people would do it. Organise it!!

Running on empty

they didn't tell you about the disastrous brewery trip i set up then..?

Well... you could always start a new thread and tell us about it
    Cool

Running on empty

heres a thought why not get this lot in instead...?

http://www.carterssteamfair.co.uk/ca...m_fair_001.htm

Toad

Good idea but Chamber tried that. They are not memebers of the dreaded, feared Showmans Guild!!

But, more news, apparently the local council are so worried by the violence that the mop attracted that they are reviewing what can be changed for next year.
    There is hope for change yet, and the Chamber of Trade are leading the way - again.

Running on empty

i have to say, upsetting the showmans guild isn't too far up my list of priorities, and i cant see why it should be on the councils list either. unless they are being bribed or threatened by them...

Unregistered

Default disgruntled resident!!

As yet I'm not a registered member of this forum but I think this may happen.

Looks a bit too me as if this is another way for the Chamber of Trade to dismiss Warwick Heritage!! As an organisation they have been proven time and time again to invent facts, twist tales and in some cases just make stuff up if fact doesn't support their cause. Much of what is on here is complete hype. I have my suspicions who the individuals are as there are only a handful with such hatred for the mop but I will not comment.

The mop is always held the same dates (the first Friday and Saturday after the 12th October and following weekend) so there is no need to be informed. If you were Wawrick people you would know!

You all opened your shops or chose to live there knowing it happens each year. But for some reason you think 800 years means nothing and you are more important. I find this a great disappointment. You would rather it be held near residents who bought properties away from the town centre, who would have reasonable grounds to complain.

As for the Chamber of Trade proposing they run it, thats the best joke I've heard all year. By eight oclock Sunday morning you wouldn't know the mop was there. No 'litter being chased by the council', no oil spills. To the contrary the Chamber run victorian evening used to leave litter everywhere. The place was a tip when I went up one year.

Oh and for anyone on here not familiar with the Victorian Evening, it is a fun fair in the middle of Warwick with no legal charter but those posting here like it more than the historic one.

The layout of the mop is centuries old with positions passing from showman to showman. The showmen today had family presenting rides at the turn of the century in the same place. If you actually looked into the facts about the mop this would be clear as would the huge amounts paid out to host event.

At the end of the day there will always be a few miserable ill informed people who want to stop the rest of us having fun. They have proved that they are willing to be underhand in their approach to get what they want and no reasoning with them works.

Fortunately we have councillors who see through them (which must add to their frustration), they look at the facts and continue to support what the majority of Warwick wants.

I now await the barrage of negativity Mr Toad!!

Or perhaps a forum moderator could delete this thread which is clearly meant to mislead and damage the reputation of Warwick's heritage.