Thread: Victorian Evening's 40th Anniversary

Default Warwick Victorian evening...

Warwick Victorian evening to kick off Christmas festivities in style

The town's Victorian Evening returns this week

The jewel in Warwick's festive crown is returning to provide more era-themed fun. The town's much-loved Victorian Evening will be held on Thursday, November 24, when all the sights, sounds and smells of a nostalgic Christmas are guaranteed.

The event starts in Market Square and surrounding streets from 12pm with a Victorian market, a popular addition in 2021. The fairground rides start from 3pm, just in time for the kids finishing school, with the main event starting at 5pm. The lights will be switched on at 7pm.

Crafts, gift ideas and community stalls will be erected with some traders in traditional costume. In addition to the rides there will be amusements, street entertainers, festive food and drink.

And, in keeping with tradition, the Christmas Tree Festival will take place in St Mary’s Church. A procession of members of the Warwick Court Leet will make its way to Market Square where the Mayor of Warwick, Councillor Parminder Singh Birdi, will turn on the lights along with Commonwealth Games boxing gold medallist Lewis Williams.

Visitors are also encouraged to get into 19th Century spirit in the best dressed Victorian competition, with the winners in both the adult and child categories being announced on stage at 7.30pm. Prizes include an annual family pass to Warwick Castle, meal vouchers for The Globe and Warwick Racecourse tickets for the 2022/2023 season.

Liam Bartlett, Warwick District Council's arts and economy boss, said: "The Victorian Evening is a staple event in Warwick’s calendar which brings thousands of people into the town. It provides a great atmosphere, helps to promote the local businesses, and kicks off the festive season in true Victorian style!

"I would encourage everyone to arrive in plenty of time and where possible to walk, cycle or hop on the bus or train. We look forward to welcoming you and to kickstarting the festive celebrations in Warwick."

Councillor Birdi said the event marked 'the beginning of the joyful Christmas festive season. "It protects the vitality and viability of our town centre by showcasing independent shops, pubs and restaurants in the town," he said.

"I look forward to seeing many residents and visitors enjoying their time in Warwick." CJ Events Warwickshire Limited has again played a pivotal part in organising 'such a prestigious event in the town’s calendar'.

Jamie John Walker, the company's director, added: "It helps to bring Warwick together in celebration of the Christmas season and brings substantial footfall to the town. Traders and many visitors are always keen to participate in wearing Victorian attire, to bring the theme to life.

"We love being involved with the organisation of the event and helping deliver this truly magical spectacle, to a truly magnificent town."
    Source: CoventryLive
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Take note Stratford - This won't bring the town centre to a total standstill!!

Default Victorian Evening's 40th Anniversary

Not my thing, but might be worth a visit: https://leamingtonobserver.co.uk/new...versary-47143/

Good luck to them
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

I don't know why they choose such a cold month for this event.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

I think it all comes from The Christmas Carol. Events like this seem to be ten-a-penny.