Thread: News Articles on WOL

Default News Articles on WOL

Hello All.

For news & information for City & County, I seem to be using the local 'Observer' newspaper, local BBC, Coventry Telegraph & (occasionally) council websites a lot.

Are there any other news & information sources you would like me to use for WOL posts?

Lex, they are typically the places that I would start, but I feel that they might not be totally honest. Facebook pages often throw up a very different perspective, but I recognise you have limited time.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Unfortunately, I gave up on Faceache a few years ago when I realised the extent of their data harvesting.

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    Unfortunately, I gave up on Faceache a few years ago when I realised the extent of their data harvesting.
    Lex.
    I get what you are saying but, Exactly how do they data harvest ones information on Facebook, I've never been too clear. I mean its easy to gives a false name and don't be daft enough give any details such as your date of birth or place of work etc... then what can they possibly collect about a person?
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

Margaret, have a read through this page...

whatdata does facebook collect

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    Margaret, have a read through this page...

whatdata does facebook collect

Yes, thanks rebbonk , I have read through.
    As far as getting a VPN I wouldn't put much faith in that either, better stay as I am at present. As I am not planning to have the internet much longer anyway, maybe a couple more years. Anyway, they have a name, and a stupid date of birth that I have given. they have my IP address, which is the general area im in. they may track other sites I go on, so what? I've been aware that FB and other sites its all marketing crap, which I hate anyway, but how can they pose a real threat, if they don't have real personal info about me... Unless they read Pm"s. when I chat to family members.
    I have seen and know of people that are fool enough to show off what they are doing to their home improvements , or buying a new home. showing off , where they are on holiday etc.. that is crackers! A lot of Facebook posts are click bait and post controversial stuff or new ways of cooking wonders etc.to try and simulate a response form readers. I avoid those. I agree there is an awful lot of rubbish in Facebook but I keep it because I talk to family that way.
    Last edited by margaret; 20-06-2023 at 07:44 AM.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

I use F/B mainly to keep in contact with family and old friends, plus I'm in groups where I have a genuine interest. I use an ad-blocker so am largely immune to their advertisement campaigns. - Not that I'd spend money off the back of an advert, anyway. I buy what I need, not what others think I want.

The number of people who advertise when they are on holiday, out shopping etc., is unbelievable. If I were into housebreaking, I'd have a field day!

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    I use F/B mainly to keep in contact with family and old friends, plus I'm in groups where I have a genuine interest. I use an ad-blocker so am largely immune to their advertisement campaigns. - Not that I'd spend money off the back of an advert, anyway. I buy what I need, not what others think I want.

The number of people who advertise when they are on holiday, out shopping etc., is unbelievable. If I were into housebreaking, I'd have a field day!

Yes, especially North London! A relative of my ex, was showing off her old home , then new home they purchased and work they are doing on it... and showing off their babies , totally and utter irresponsible fools. One day they will wish their heads wasn't so big and full of c...p!

- Lord Byron.