Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Liz Truss - New PM

I'm sorry to say, Truss must go. Her radio interviews today were cringingly embarrassing, and she really hasn't got a clue. Unfortunately, no matter what we (as a country) do now, we are damaged. I think the easiest way out of the current problem would be to call a GE. Another Tory bun fight for the top job simply won't suffice.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

A Labour government seems to be the least worst option at the minute (never thought I'd say that!).

Looks like Kwarteng might have lied about the OBR and that Truss has supported his lies. If this is the case I can see real problems. - Video below.

There are also rumours of cutting benefits to help fund her tax cuts. If this happens, I predict riots bigger than the poll tax riots.

What I've heard, benefit rises won't match inflation (which is basically the same as a cut) as a sop to the markets to show that the government's serious about controlling spending.

Frankly, I can see the City etc. just laughing at the token jesture; looks like it's more about cutting benefits. (I half listened to an interview earlier that was along the lines of 'lower benefits = people will look for work'. Sadly many unemployed people don't live where the jobs are, or don't want to work temporary contracts picking fruit).

I don't remember a party getting over 50% in an opinion poll. The Conservatives are up to their necks in the proverbial: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-election.html

Apparently, Kwarteng is still involved with a former employer (who happened to benefit from the recent crash caused by Kwarteng).

Frankly, I really wouldn't empty my bladder on any MP if they were on fire!

I'm not surprised. A lot of MPs are only seem to be in the job for what they can get out of it.

Having watched Truss' appalling performance at today's PMQs, I seriously doubt she'll still be in office at the end of the month! Even I was shocked at the level of incompetence, and I set the bar pretty low!

I didn't watch PMQ's, but heard there was very little support coming from behind her. Apperently, she had a hard time of it in a meeting of Tory MPs later in the day too.

I wouldn't call it a hard time. She was simply asked to justify her position and thinking. The little blonde air-head couldn't even do that.

The Tories aren't stupid, she's got to go and they know that.

Well, that's the last of Thick Lizzie's credability gone: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63261432

Whatever happens from now on, the Conservatives are screwed.
    Last edited by Lex; 15-10-2022 at 03:58 PM.

Maybe my earlier suggestion about the end of the month was optimistic? Some Tories are saying that she'll be lucky to survive the weekend!

Her future's looking more doubtful by the minute.

I have a feeling that Hunt has been foisted on her in an attempt to stabilise the situation whilst the party decide what to do about things. Many reports are saying that Hunt is now in fact the PM in all but name.

THings are looking worse for the Conservatives by the hour: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-election.html

The PM couldn't even show her face in Parliament this afternoon.

Mourdant played a good game this afternoon, but you could tell that she thought it was all over. Starmer didn't push things home as far as he ought have, implying he had some sympathy for Truss.

Hunt has reversed virtually everything that Truss and Kwarteng did (though bankers' bonus caps are still lifted, unless I've missed it) which now begs the question what is Truss still doing there?

Odds are rapidly shortening on her seeing the end of the year, I personally wouldn't rate her chances of seeing the next weekend.