Thread: Don't Pay UK

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar
    Last edited by margaret; 08-08-2022 at 12:22 PM.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

I've been looking into this, Margaret, I'm not sure about it at all, and I think far higher numbers are necessary to achieve anything. But ultimately, I think it is doomed to fail unless several million join up and actually take action. Words are cheap!

The current profits being made by energy companies are immoral, and that we're being charged for failed energy companies that, at best, had very dodgy business plans is a disgrace.

For many years, I've said that privatising utilities was very wrong. They are an important part of our infrastructure and we all need them. Thatcher (spit!) paved the way for privatising profits, but nationalising losses, which is why with so many industries you only see the profitable parts privatised whilst the core remains in public ownership.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

In my view, these corporate utilities are acting as cartels. I had a discussion or argument with a solicitor about this.
    He said, 'Well its just about a contract between the supplier and the consumer and if you don't pay, they disconnect. I told him , Grow up. That may have been the position about 50 years ago (and you can read about it in text books). These vast utilities now dispose of immense corporate and indeed political power. They are cartels, that is, they go far beyond even monopolies and they act as one single player.. Even with a monopoly, there is still some market there. With a cartel markets disappear, and its just you and them. That is what these bodies now are. There is a radical disconnect with all economic reality. All we have are characters who demand we pay prices (and which of course will only increase inflation further). I await his response.with eagerness. I am certainly in favour of the protest and will join it, and for those 6 miilion people this winter who cannot pay to run lights and heat water.

(from Mister H)
    Last edited by margaret; 08-08-2022 at 09:19 PM.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

I often argue with the legal profession! In reality I win more than I lose and there is still a barrister waiting for my fees after I dismissed her in court!

All change needs to start somewhere. The poll tax movement (I agreed with the poll tax in principle, but not in how it was administered/enforced) started with a similar low-level body of people.

The companies do wield too much power, but that is largely due to the average Brit allowing it to happen because as long as they have soaps, reality TV, football and cheap beer they really don't care about much else. Indeed, we might even argue that the average Brit hasn't got the intelligence to understand what is happening. - Having taught, I might be sympathetic to that view, and not just in the UK.

There is a radical disconnect, but the companies don't care. We are going to be bled dry, and the MSM are complicit with it, blaming everything from Brexit, Covid, and Putin for what in reality is nothing more than greed.

People used to be enslaved by chains, these days they are enslaved by economics! - Don't tell too many that, they tend to get very upset when the 'penny' drops!
    Last edited by rebbonk; 08-08-2022 at 09:42 PM.

Incidentally, there is similar campaign being run here https://wesayenough.co.uk/

Sure, but then, frankly, many no longer care what these globalists (because that I think is what they are all) think.
    No doubt, those enslaved by their own ideas are more securely enslaved than anyone.
    The ancient world said it was all about contingency, so if you are a globalist you must try and control everything and everyone. But you can't do it, no one can.So these people are just nuts as well.
    And I for one was cheered, a bit, by Brexit. Not particularly because I voted (I don't vote) but because, as a student of history, I saw stunning confirmation of an aphorism of Hegel:-
    'World changing events happen when the consciousness of the people has been raised."
    (Mister H)

- Lord Byron.

I think we are largely in agreement. The likes of Gates, et al, cannot control everything; the global 'utopia' cannot exist as human nature does not allow for it. But, globalists are dangerous and shouldn't be underestimated in the damage that they can cause.

As regards, 'World changing events happen when the consciousness of the people has been raised,' what we see (IMO) is a deliberate attempt at keeping that awareness low, hence the deliberate suppression of the damage caused by covid vaccines and the stifling of debate. The globalists have done a pretty good job of control by terrifying people. The facade is now cracking, but it's taking time and as people realise that they have been hoodwinked and fooled, those that would control us have lost quite a lot of traction. I, for one, will never believe any 'official' line on anything for the rest of my days. That governments, news agencies and even the NHS have lied to me is an unreal feeling. But it's a feeling I won't be forgetting or forgiving.

Sorry, I have digressed from the original debate.

You note something here which is absolutely vital. All trust in "their" data has gone. In the US hundreds left their (well paid) jobs in government statistics because they were so disgusted and repelled at the lies and manipulation they were being forced to endorse. When no one even gives the most basic confidence to officialdom, then its all over (for them). Its gone. Kaput.
    Orwell was wrong. He said telling the truth in a time of deceit is a revolutionary act. No! Telling the truth is a COUNTER revolutionary act. Because the lies come from the Revolution.The crazy marxist Sartre said all counter revolutionaries are dogs. To which my reply is, woof woof.

Thank you, Mr H, that genuinely made me smile. - You are, of course, right.