Thread: 100 Years of St. Johns Ambulance

Default 100 Years of St. Johns Ambulance

I didn't know they'd been going so long: https://solihullobserver.co.uk/news/...ohn-ambulance/

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

I am pleased to see St. Johns Ambulance are still going, good for them!
    Years ago when my daughter was very young, she joined our local St. Johns Ambulance cadets, and stayed with them till she left school. It influenced her career path and when she left school she took up a nursing career and so on passed her exams and now she is a senior practice nurse at a GP Surgery. In Kent.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

True story...

I have a St. John's first aid practitioner's certificate. I passed out in the first 5 minutes of the course and missed the rest!
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

I used to pass out at the sight of blood when I cut or grazed myself when I was younger, but now now?

“I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

Quote Originally Posted by margaret View Post
    I used to pass out at the sight of blood when I cut or grazed myself when I was younger, but now now?

I think we develop a tolerance as we age, Margaret. I still do it occasionally.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

The only thing I can barely tolerate and today, is sputum. Working on the chest wards, we dealt with sputum and had to examine it for blood and colour etc.. I really liked working on Chest and Lungs, , and Surgical wards, I used also work on the T.B. clinic.. but there is always a downside.

- Lord Byron.