Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best & Worst of Warwickshire

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    ...I'm of the opinion that we should be looking to becoming more self-sufficient in food...
    We should be self-sufficient in everything we possibly can be. Recent events have highlighted the perils of relying on outside supplies.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Planting trees is only part of the picture. Soil management, restoring peat moors, plus many, many other initiatives also contribute to managing climate change: https://rugbyobserver.co.uk/news/lea...greener-38725/

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

It can be done.
    Many moons ago when I was growing up in Scotland, family of 5 kids, we lived on local produce from the farms mostly. We weren't terrifically well off money wise, but we managed or my parents seemed to manage well with food and clothing for us. Went off too school (walked) with a good breakfast in us, Porridge several times a week. We didn't know how well off we were.
    We grew up extremely healthy kids. Plenty of fresh air too.
    This is why I can't understand why I read about starving kids and poverty today.

What has gone wrong?
    Last edited by margaret; 06-06-2022 at 05:17 AM.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

I think people expect too much these days and have become soft.

I look at people using foodbanks and I honestly think, 'you hardly look half starved and I see that you can still afford tattoos, fags, booze and a car!'

The internet is awash with people saying how cold it is and that they've got their heating on! Eh? It's June, it might not be the warmest June I've known, but it certainly isn't the coldest. And no, my heating isn't on!

Then we have the interference of the nanny state. People now expect the government to help them no matter what and have become resistant to being responsible for their own lives and well being.

All in all, from where I'm sitting, the future for many people doesn't look too rosy.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

There's no way I will put my heating on in June. Yes its been a bit cool but nothing like so cold you need the heating on. Even in the winter we don't have it on all day. People have become soft in the head I think.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    We should be self-sufficient in everything we possibly can be. Recent events have highlighted the perils of relying on outside supplies.
    A big grant to plant more trees: https://stratfordobserver.co.uk/news...h-boost-38970/

I was reading a book recently about North European folklore. Part of it said that odd corners of fields were left to grow wild to provide local nature spirits with somewhere to live. It sounded very much like the modern practice of doing the same thing to encourage biodiversity. Maybe more of this could be done instead of planting entire fields/farms.