Thread: Wellesbourne , Piper PA-28,vanishes over English Channel

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Default Wellesbourne , Piper PA-28,vanishes over English Channel

A small plane flying from the UK has vanished over the English Channel, prompting a search for debris.
    The plane, thought to be a PA-28, went missing on a journey from Wellesbourne, Warwickshire, to Le Touquet, France, at around midday on Saturday.
    The French Coastguard said the plane - which was carrying two people - was the subject of a "worrying disappearance".
    It asked vessels travelling in the Channel to look out for debris. The search will resume on Sunday.
    Two French aircraft and a boat were engaged in the search on Saturday, with a UK aircraft also attempting to trace the whereabouts of the missing plane.
    The searches were suspended overnight and will resume on Sunday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60970636

Last edited by margaret; 03-04-2022 at 07:59 AM.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

Poor pilot.

Looks like it was a group of several aircraft travelling together.

It is incredibly easy to get disoriented over water, many of the navy pilots used to hang plumblines from their emergency E2B compasses because it is so easy to assume you have faulty instruments.

Thoughts are with the families as they must be going through Hell.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Another light aircraft went down yesterday...

Aircrash Bicester
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Indeed it is a trajic loss. I hope that the four other planes will make it back safely out of the group that were on the way to Le Touquet for the day. The owner of the plane is flying instructor Dr Wakeley but there is no confirmation if Dr Wakeley was on board as the plane is often hired out. Wellesbourne airfield has so far declined to comment further.

https://www.stratford-herald.com/new...inues-9247805/

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

A spokesman for France’s Maritime Prefecture said that anyone discovering debris was asked to contact the maritime authorities. A French public prosecutor later said that official documents belonging to two British nationals involved in the incident had washed up on a beach in France. Boulogne public prosecutor Guirec Le Bras confirmed that the papers belonged to those on board the aircraft.
    Last edited by margaret; 14-04-2022 at 06:41 AM.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.