Thread: Turkey shortage?

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Default Turkey shortage?

Who is bothered about the supposed turkey shortage?
    As for me, I could easily give turkey a miss.

“I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

I won't miss them.

IIRC, I had faggots and chips for last year's Christmas dinner. It was lovely.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Where are all the pheasant pluckers when you need them!

I usually cook a 3 fish roast from Lidl's frozen Luxury range. Yum as the hot meal and it leaves me enough left over to have with salads for a day or two.
    Cool

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Yes, there's lots of different ideas , we can try. I don't know what at the big deal is about turkey, give them a break ! One Christmas I made a very nice vegetarian dish.
    I recall when I was young in Scotland we used to have a lovely home make steak pie with lovely flakey pastry for Christmas. We very rarely had turkey... and that was going back a millennia it seems now!
    Mum always used to make Christmas pudding the traditional way with sixpence in it, bless her.. now you can just buy xmas puds in the supermarket, minus the silver coins.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

I remember my mother boiling the Christmas ham in the copper then getting it ready to go in the oven. Christmas cake and pudding were made well in advance and stored to mature. Mince pies were made closer to Christmas. On Christmas Day she would boil some thruppenny bits and sixpence though in later years the smallest coins disappeared and it was sixpences and a shilling. They would go into the pudding. The same Christmas cake frill was brought out every year having been cleaned of icing before storage. White icing - not thick icing like wedding cakes - and some Christmas decorations. It was then put into the mahogany china cabinet. We didn't have turkey until later years and can't say I was too excited by it. We usually had roast lamb or pork and maybe chicken. Whilst doing things the traditional way is nice, everything you need is in the supermarket without the work and like you mentioned, no silver coins in the pudding.
    Cool